Weight Reduction?

CoolWhip

:
2008 Mazdspeed 3 Sport
Not sure if this is the right forum.

I'm looking into some mods that would keep the car looking nice but also help reduce the weight of the car.

Also trying to get the weight distributed evenly in the front and the back.

Umm first major thing is the hood. other then that you could take out the spare and get a ncie set of lightweight wheels and tires.

I'm looking into some wheels right now, I'm going to take the spare out when needed ...

As for the hood I wouldn't know where to start (huh)

I don't want the car to look cheap. (uhm)

Not sure if this is the right forum.

I'm looking into some mods that would keep the car looking nice but also help reduce the weight of the car.

Also trying to get the weight distributed evenly in the front and the back.

i would keep the hood because it puts more weight over the front wheels which is good if you like drag racing or racing from a roll. just my 2 cents

I replaced the heavy billet mazdaspeed oil cap with the cheap plastic cap I found in the glove compartment I'm sure its not much, but it was easy, free, and reversible

s6300407fo4.jpg

I'm looking into some wheels right now, I'm going to take the spare out when needed ...

As for the hood I wouldn't know where to start (huh)

I don't want the car to look cheap. (uhm)

you could always get a carbon fiber and paint it. other then that a nice set of volks or like rays wheels would be nice. try to keep them under 20lbs each. Also for new tires check the weight of those.

you dont have to paint the CF, IMO it doesnt look cheap at all unpainted
what color is your car?

and yea volks and rays might be light, but the price is extremely heavy on your pockets, dont expect to pay less than 2G's just for the rims

and then your gonna have to pay more for lightweight tires, and those tires normally being high performance summer tires, suck in the wet and dont last very long

so with that said, go for it haha

there are plenty of all season performance tires.... depends where you live.

why would replacin gthe billet cap with a plastic one be a real noticable weight savings? If anything, pull some seats out, carpet, maybe all the sound-proofing, shrouding in the engine compartment, etc.

The OEM DP and CBE weigh a ton compared to the aftermarket ones...

Replacing the oil cap is assinine... It looks better with the OEM one and its not going to make a significant difference in weight.
Thats like saying, let me change my shift knob to save weight...retarded(screwy)

I replaced the heavy billet mazdaspeed oil cap with the cheap plastic cap I found in the glove compartment I'm sure its not much, but it was easy, free, and reversible
- Have your car sand blasted, save weight on paint and clear coat
- use cellophane tape for our drive belts
- change timing chain to smaller, lighter one from pedal bike
- strip steering wheel of leather
- remove rearview and side mirrors
- change pedals to plastic ones from the new Evo
- replace leather shifter cover with seran wrap
- debadge vehicle and remove side moldings
- remove front strut tower bar

It's easy, free, and reversible.

The OEM DP and CBE weigh a ton compared to the aftermarket ones...

Replacing the oil cap is assinine... It looks better with the OEM one and its not going to make a significant difference in weight.
Thats like saying, let me change my shift knob to save weight...retarded(screwy)

that mazdaspeed trinket is rice its nothing like changing the shift knob to save weight, because a shift knobs weight changes how shifting feels changing the oil cap changes nothing except how the under hood looks(bling)
if you wouldn't do without it you might as well get a DC billet battery tie down, and a power steering reservoir cover too. trust me your car is incomplete without them
hey I don't care what my ******* oil cap looks like. 5 years from now when I sell the car I'll put it back on and whatever idiot buys the car will open the hood and with their feeble little brain being led by their stupid little eyes they will see that shiny new oil cap and the under hood will look like a million dollars no matter how many things are wrong

- Have your car sand blasted, save weight on paint and clear coat
- use cellophane tape for our drive belts
- change timing chain to smaller, lighter one from pedal bike
- strip steering wheel of leather
- remove rearview and side mirrors
- change pedals to plastic ones from the new Evo
- replace leather shifter cover with seran wrap
- debadge vehicle and remove side moldings
- remove front strut tower bar

It's easy, free, and reversible.

none of the stuff is all of those things without loosing function

I did remove the side moldings.

i hope your joking

nope, it was the first thing I did when I got my car home. the mazdaspeed thing must be installed at the dealer, because there was that cheap plastic one in my glove compartment

none of the stuff is all of those things without loosing function

I did remove the side moldings.
Jokes, man. Gotta learn to understand jokes.

Also, you saved maybe 300 grams. Probably less.

Also, none of my weight reduction mods reduce function, the vehicle will run perfectly with them. Especially the paint, man. Heavy stuff.

it was the first thing I did when I got my car home. the mazdaspeed thing must be installed at the dealer, because there was that cheap plastic one in my glove compartment

Nope, it comes from Mazda that way...its not a dealer item.
All Mazdaspeeds come with the signature billet oil cap.

To eachs own I guess... But its rather dumb to remove the oil cap for weight savings. (lol2)
I would have just said it was to preserve the newness of the oil cap or something along those lines... (lol2)

Nope, it comes from Mazda that way...its not a dealer item.
All Mazdaspeeds come with the signature billet oil cap.
I know they all come with it, but I'm thinking they don't install it until the car arrived at the dealer why else would there be a standard plastic cap in my glove compartment

I know they all come with it, but I'm thinking they don't install it until the car arrived at the dealer why else would there be a standard plastic cap in my glove compartment

Was the plastic one wrapped/sealed in plastic? That is so weird, cause mine came straight off the boat when I went to see it (ordered it) and it was all complete, except for floor mats which came sealed in trunk.

Very strange... (scratch)

Was the plastic one wrapped/sealed in plastic? That is so weird, cause mine came straight off the boat when I went to see it (ordered it) and it was all complete, except for floor mats which came sealed in trunk.

Very strange... (scratch)

is wasn't sealed it was in a bubble wrap bag that the mazdaspeed one probably came in it was also oily so it was definitely used

that wouldnt reduce weight because you still have the battery in your car,only thing that does is clean up the engine bay

Back