weather stripping

um, you have to squeeze the clips from the bottom, and then pull up. lemme whip up a lil ms paint diagram of the clips. dont just pry them up with a flathead, you will bust the lil retaining clip.

http://www.********.com/pictures/wsclip.gif

the black flat line is the piece of metal in the hood its mounted on, the lil domed black piece above it is the weather stripping. the green piece is the clip that holds it in, and the red is the size of the hole that it goes through. the clip has 2 sides to it that you have to squeeze together to make it small enough to fit back through the hole. if you just pry up on it, you sill snap off the 2 lil pieces on the clip. you have to squeeze from below, and then push it up through the hole so not to break em.

Any disadvantages to doing this? The people who made this car might have put it there for a certain reason....

Are the advantages of removing this piece large enough to outweigh anything bad?

I'm always naysaying... damnit.. gotta be more optimistic..

Personally, I don't see any harm in removing that piece of rubber. For the people that are concerned about paint chipping and hood rubbing on stuff, the hood should not sag at all because the hinge still supports it and the metal itself should be strong enough not to sag. The only thing I could see is that if you were to put pressure on the back of the hood where the strip was then it would probably just bend downwards but rebound back up.

It would allow for a little more cooling.

Yeah, but if the stripping is removed at the rear of the hood (the place shown in the pics), the water would just run to the firewall... In an area (College Station, TX) with PLENTY of rainfall... this could be a bad thing, right?

A bunch of people have done this *mod* and there have not seem to been any complaints? Am I right? I have not done it just yet...

TLSteel said:
Yeah, but if the stripping is removed at the rear of the hood (the place shown in the pics), the water would just run to the firewall... In an area (College Station, TX) with PLENTY of rainfall... this could be a bad thing, right?

No, not really. Think about how much water hits your firewall when you are driving in the rain. Take a look at the underside of your hood. Are there dirty water spots? Most likely.

If you remove both front and back weatherstripping, your hood could vibrate badly at high speed. It also would get very dirty very quick.

If you remove just the back one (which I have done), remember to put it back on when it gets cold out because the hot air streaming onto your cold windshield could cause it to crack.

When I removed mine, I took the weatherstripping off of the clips and left them in. They are all still there after 2 months. It is easier to just gently pull the rubber off the clips, then take them out if you want.

Back