Weapon R Intake

ProjectBlack

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey All,

I just found the Weapon R intake for pretty cheap (175.00 shipped new). I have not seen that intake mentioned on this forum, so I figured I would ask if anyone has any experience with it.

Please reply with some feedback if you have used this intake.

Thanks,

Steve.

Don't buy an intake new. They are go up in the FS every now and then. Like I said in your other thread... buy an ebay intake (short intake) and put a good filter on it. There is almost no difference in the piping and what is different will not mean anything.

im thinking about getting the same one just because one of the clips on my airbox is broken and zip-ties dont really look good holding it together.
i know theres pros and cons with SRI's with our cars but in the end, buying an ebay intake is cheaper then all other alternatives.

i say do it, then tell me what you think and il get myself one too!

Well, Jigga...you're in luck. I am officially your guinne pig. I figured $32 shipped isn't much of a loss even if it sucks. It seems comparable to any other intake I've seen anyway. I'll post up ASAP. I should probably have it by Sat or Mon. Should only take a few minutes to install, so I'll have feedback soon.

sweet! i looked at your other posts and im at 150k too! (manual though)
let me know about your progress, i too want to put on headers/exhaust, struts and springs.

looking forward to your project!

OK. I should take advise that is given! LOL! Is the link below a good choice? The only thing I'd be worried about is the sensor for the intake being compatable. As long as that works, I'll be happy. I just don't want the car to freak out or anything.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

yes, plz let me know if that does work ok. I'd buy it too if its ok, and buy extra piping and lower it to make a full CAI and not SRI

Well, Jigga...you're in luck. I am officially your guinne pig. I figured $32 shipped isn't much of a loss even if it sucks. It seems comparable to any other intake I've seen anyway. I'll post up ASAP. I should probably have it by Sat or Mon. Should only take a few minutes to install, so I'll have feedback soon.

sub'd :]

curious...lol

Yeah...finding piping to extend really shouldn't be that hard anyway. As far as quality, polished aluminum is polished aluminum. It really shouldn't need to be "aircraft quality" or anything like that to work efficiently for this application. Air is going to flow just the same, just gonna have a different logo. I plan on painting mine anyway. I'm thinking it will be just fine!

i remember finding a thread that had the part number of the cone intake so we could replace it with a k&n filter.
i really wouldnt trust an ebay filter. il see if i can find it again.

so black your our ginnie pig for the ebay intake
and Taus your my ginnie pig to see how cheap a cai would be!

meanwhile il stand in the background offering moral support :)

^ Nice! I'm sure it will be fine. K&N makes a filter that will fit this. I'll probably just leave mine a SRI. The stock Pro5 set up has a nice air duct that I think I can cut up a little to help direct cold air flow.

i couldnt find the exact part number but i did read that as long as you get the diameter of the tubing then you can just go from there.
i also learned that most autozone, kragen,.... dont have cone filters on hand so they have to order it.

in the end, if the ebay intake doesnt do TOO bad then il try to make a heatsheild and i'l post up a how to if it works.
(so much for just being moral support)

i remember finding a thread that had the part number of the cone intake so we could replace it with a k&n filter.
i really wouldnt trust an ebay filter. il see if i can find it again.

so black your our ginnie pig for the ebay intake
and Taus your my ginnie pig to see how cheap a cai would be!

meanwhile il stand in the background offering moral support :)

HAHA, smart man..
yeah we'll see, im not planing on doing much till i hear some results and till it gets warm out..F winter! lol

edit: oops, just read ur last post, ok well good. I was just going to say, someone should post some pics for future refference, and so we can see what the final setup would/could look like.

Last edited:
I'll post as soon as I get it installed. I'm going to paint the tubing matte black as well. Should at least LOOK cool! LOL!

Ok... FleaBay $32 SRI installed and tested tonight. Better quality than expected, for sure! There was a noticeable gain, and a nice throaty sound. Every once in a while, you get a slight faint whistle too! For the price, I'd say you can't beat it!

lol saw u posted this in ur thread also, but glad to hear some positive feedback. So how long did it take to assemble? and guessing the taking apart of the old one took longer.

bdw, post pics!

& thanks for the update

Il get a pic next week. Installation was super easy, and the company sends you step-by-step instructions. It took me about 30 minutes in the dark! LOL! If you have ever done any type of work on your car, this will be a snap. The deeper sound, the tons of extra engine bay space you gain, and the little extra umph are definitely the pros. The filter itself seems to be a high quality construction. The only real con is the purge solenoid valve. When you remove the stock intake tubing, it eliminates the rubber casing for the purge solenoid valve. As a result, the valve has a very audible clicking sound that comes through to the interior, but not so much heard externally. Currently finding an alternative way to mount it. I think I'm also going to wrap it on some sort of foam rubber. That should insulate it plenty.

Il get a pic next week. Installation was super easy, and the company sends you step-by-step instructions. It took me about 30 minutes in the dark! LOL! If you have ever done any type of work on your car, this will be a snap. The deeper sound, the tons of extra engine bay space you gain, and the little extra umph are definitely the pros. The filter itself seems to be a high quality construction. The only real con is the purge solenoid valve. When you remove the stock intake tubing, it eliminates the rubber casing for the purge solenoid valve. As a result, the valve has a very audible clicking sound that comes through to the interior, but not so much heard externally. Currently finding an alternative way to mount it. I think I'm also going to wrap it on some sort of foam rubber. That should insulate it plenty.

I got one recently for my MP5. Shipped with the RAM air kit and made me happy but then realized I cannot use it because after installing the intake, there's no space left. I noticed there's little clearance between the intake pipe close to the throttle body and the master cylinder. I am thinking of cutting a section of the stock rubber pipe and wrap it around the section of the weapon r that touches the master cylinder. Any ideas?

Back