We Have A Problem..

iSeth

:
Mazda Speed 3
Okay guys, I bought my Speed 3 about 3-4 Months ago. I didn't notice when I first bought it, but my bumper cover is messed up from where the previous owner hit something and broke the clip or whatever. I've known about it since about the first week i got it, i wasnt a happy camper. I wasnt going to take the Speed 3 back though cause i loved it. I probably could of bought a new bumper already but I've been to worried about performance.

So long story short. Is there anyway I can make this stay ALL the way flush and never stick out again.. I might need one of the other Mazda guys from around here to come help me fix it :/

976tu9.jpg

4hbeo9.jpg

I actually had the exact same problem on mine, except on the passenger side. I actually epoxied a washer on the bottom side of the lip in the location of the mounting screw. This has worked well for mine, holds it back in flush with the fender

I actually had the exact same problem on mine, except on the passenger side. I actually epoxied a washer on the bottom side of the lip in the location of the mounting screw. This has worked well for mine, holds it back in flush with the fender

okay ill have to try that, but how do i get the top part to stay flush along with the bottom. if you look closly in the first picture, even with the bottom pushed in. the top isnt flush.

Lemme take a couple pics of mine and ill show you. The gap on mine isn't exactly even as well, but its better than the whole side being out. Hopefully Ill post a couple pics here in the next couple days

Lemme take a couple pics of mine and ill show you. The gap on mine isn't exactly even as well, but its better than the whole side being out. Hopefully Ill post a couple pics here in the next couple days

okay, thanks.. I'll try and do that this weekend. Eventually I might just get a new bumper.

Same thing happened to my bumper. I had a valet go to fast over a speed bump even tho I told him to take it slow on bumps/dips. Now I have that very same part and sometimes it sticks out or if I do scrape the bottom it will pop out. Been wondering what I can do to fix this.

There's a white piece of plastic that bolts into the fender that the bumper cover clips into. Check that. Years ago my wife caught the front bumper on rebar when backing out from a curb in a parking lot, it looked like your bumper, where it wasn't flush with the fender, and it would pop out easily. If I remember correctly it was a 30-40 dollar part and easy enough to replace. Looked good as new after I replaced it.

There's a white piece of plastic that bolts into the fender that the bumper cover clips into. Check that. Years ago my wife caught the front bumper on rebar when backing out from a curb in a parking lot, it looked like your bumper, where it wasn't flush with the fender, and it would pop out easily. If I remember correctly it was a 30-40 dollar part and easy enough to replace. Looked good as new after I replaced it.

Where did you find these? I had a hard time finding these... dealer?

Yeah, went to dealer, had them pull up the diagram and picked out the part. This was 5-6 years ago, so I don't have the part number handy, or else I'd post it. It might be on the part if you pull it off.

Same thing happened to my bumper. I had a valet go to fast over a speed bump even tho I told him to take it slow on bumps/dips. Now I have that very same part and sometimes it sticks out or if I do scrape the bottom it will pop out. Been wondering what I can do to fix this.
This is why you have to be the douche that parks your own car even though there is a valet. Let some rich guys porsche get ****** up but not your mazda. lol

I had this happen in the exact same area on the passenger side but it was my own fault about a year and a half back. This is what I did. It works for basically any type of bumper as well.

This was a How-To I had made for another forum when I had my GSR. Take it as you will and really just be creative. It has worked for me and has not come off since and i can still remove it like stock. Still holding strong to this day. I should take an after picture of it. Bumper literally ripped off the side after being pulled from being stuck in sand. The bottom plastic splash guard/air dam also came off ( could only be pulled out in reverse or risk being submerged in water so the choice was obvious ). I had then already replaced the bottom gaurd but opted to fix the bumper.

===============================================================================================

This is what I basically did in a nut shell.

IMAG0022-1.jpg

I used a Pop Rivet Gun with the appropriate length and size rivets ( you need to measure ).

pop_rivet_blind_tool_gun_computer_case_chassis.jpg
rivets.jpg

And bought a small Roll of Aluminum Sheet at Home Depot or Lowes. You can also buy small sheets that cost 35 cents ( Roll is about $7).

656220_front500.jpg
635218_front500.jpg

Use a drill with the appropriate size bit to match the size rivet you choose. Drill your holes and rivet the aluminum sheet shaped as above and make sure it goes all the way through with a bit of overhang for the rivet to grip when compressed. Drill a couple holes or dremel the bigger hole for the 10mm bolt and your done. You can also try filling in the missing section with some plastic or glue or something to make the inside more solid like Permapoxy Plastic Weld or some type of plastic glue that dries hard. I didn't and it still holding strong although I will be doing this just to give it strength inside the metal brace and just dremel the hole where the 10mm bolt goes or use a drill in a way as a dremel.

There you go. Easy fix for plastic and fiberglass bumpers. Mine is fiberglass although I fixed my wifed Mazdaspeed 3 bumper this way as well and that one is plastic.

I had this happen in the exact same area on the passenger side but it was my own fault about a year and a half back. This is what I did. It works for basically any type of bumper as well.

This was a How-To I had made for another forum when I had my GSR. Take it as you will and really just be creative. It has worked for me and has not come off since and i can still remove it like stock. Still holding strong to this day. I should take an after picture of it. Bumper literally ripped off the side after being pulled from being stuck in sand. The bottom plastic splash guard/air dam also came off ( could only be pulled out in reverse or risk being submerged in water so the choice was obvious ). I had then already replaced the bottom gaurd but opted to fix the bumper.

===============================================================================================

This is what I basically did in a nut shell.

IMAG0022-1.jpg

I used a Pop Rivet Gun with the appropriate length and size rivets ( you need to measure ).

pop_rivet_blind_tool_gun_computer_case_chassis.jpg
rivets.jpg

And bought a small Roll of Aluminum Sheet at Home Depot or Lowes. You can also buy small sheets that cost 35 cents ( Roll is about $7).

656220_front500.jpg
635218_front500.jpg

Use a drill with the appropriate size bit to match the size rivet you choose. Drill your holes and rivet the aluminum sheet shaped as above and make sure it goes all the way through with a bit of overhang for the rivet to grip when compressed. Drill a couple holes or dremel the bigger hole for the 10mm bolt and your done. You can also try filling in the missing section with some plastic or glue or something to make the inside more solid like Permapoxy Plastic Weld or some type of plastic glue that dries hard. I didn't and it still holding strong although I will be doing this just to give it strength inside the metal brace and just dremel the hole where the 10mm bolt goes or use a drill in a way as a dremel.

There you go. Easy fix for plastic and fiberglass bumpers. Mine is fiberglass although I fixed my wifed Mazdaspeed 3 bumper this way as well and that one is plastic.

Wow this is a little more than I did, but a very good way! I just epoxied a washer to the bottom side but this looks a little more durable

Wow, that's a really good idea. However, the broken mounting hole in his bumper is only part of the problem. Look at the first picture; the back of the bumper is flush with the fender. The part where the bumper is not flush with the fender is by the headlamp. It's because the white plastic bracket I referenced above is broken.

Back