Watste Gate Leaking

jt644

:
2003 MAZDASPEED Protege
My stock waste gate is leaking and making a whistle noise but the car still seems to be running fine. It will need to be replaced in the near future. The OEM part and dealer labor is pretty expensive. What is the best aftermarket waste gate to use and does anyone know if posted step by step instructions for replacing it are on the forum somewhere?

The 7psi ATP one is probably the most common aftermarket replacement used. Forge is also popular but is a bit more expensive.

As for install, here is a how-to if you want to try it without removing the turbo.. but it's easiest if you just remove the entire turbo assembly (manifold, turbo, downpipe) and take care of it that way. It's a bit more work, but much easier overall.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ator)-replacement&highlight=wastegate install

With two people, I had no issues at all replacing it without removing the turbo from the car. Just remove the piping so you can get at it, and then it is fairly easy.

With two people, I had no issues at all replacing it without removing the turbo from the car. Just remove the piping so you can get at it, and then it is fairly easy.

Agreed. You might need to grab a couple different types of 10mm wrench (flex wrench!) to be able to remove the two bolts attaching the WG, but they are accessible. With those out, there's just a c-clip holding the wastegate arm to the flapper on the turbo, and you're done.

My stock waste gate is leaking and making a whistle noise but the car still seems to be running fine. It will need to be replaced in the near future. The OEM part and dealer labor is pretty expensive. What is the best aftermarket waste gate to use and does anyone know if posted step by step instructions for replacing it are on the forum somewhere?

Where did you find a stock WG? I was told by mazdaspeed motorsports development that they didn't have anymore and said the only ones left are old stock at dealerships if you were lucky enough. My local dealerships had no luck

Ya buy atp its way cheaper and just as good if not better. I replaced my atp about 4 years ago and its still fine. I never get boost spike. And if your whistling under boost its probably not the wastegate. Pop the hood and make sure you have no bolts missing from the exhaust manifold.

Interesting....

Does anyone know if its listed in the factory service manual as the replacement WG?

you aren't going to find it in the service manual because the part was released by ATP way after the car came out.....

This is where scca sux. Its not legal if its the not the factory part in this case. although it does not increase boost and its clearly not an advantage, it isn't the correct part

Tell them the factory part is no longer available. You can't tell by looking at it and no judge is actually going to know the difference even if they do know what an MSP is.

Back