Water in CAI/Hydrolock

KTsuchiya

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, Blk Chry, MS CAI, SU SOFC
Damn fellas, finally happened to me tonight while driving home down small roads. It was raining like all hell here in Eastern NC and I went over a 5-7 inch puddle and then all my lights came on (CEL, Battery, Oil...) and then engine cut off. I knew at once it was the MS CAI. Was stuck on the road for about 1 1/2 hrs until I decided to start it up and magically, the engine came back to life---a fkn relief!!!!

However, I had to drive slowly or else the engine would stutter. My question for you guys is what should I do to make sure nothing else is wrong to my engine?? Should I just let the car sit for a day or two until it FULLY dries out or something else?? One thing I do know is I'm FINALLY going to order that Hydroshield from injen and maybe look for an Air Bypass Valve.

Last edited:
Might have shorted out your maf also.
do an oil change take ur spark plugs out and check ur pistons for condesation.

^This, and get rid of that CAI and get a SRI/SF instead. People are always saying "they're fine, they're safe," and then a couple days later I see a thread like this. Yeah, you can do a splash shield (and you should), but I just don't see how they're worth it. Especially considering the CPE CAI is the only CAI that flows air over the MAF properly in the first place. OP, glad you dodged a bullet this time... next time you may not be so lucky so do something about it :)

air by pass valves help but i researched them, most people said that the one from aem is kind of cheaply made and needed to be replaced every 6 months to a year, just what i found from research, not from my own personal experience though lol

^This, and get rid of that CAI and get a SRI/SF instead. People are always saying "they're fine, they're safe," and then a couple days later I see a thread like this. Yeah, you can do a splash shield (and you should), but I just don't see how they're worth it. Especially considering the CPE CAI is the only CAI that flows air over the MAF properly in the first place. OP, glad you dodged a bullet this time... next time you may not be so lucky so do something about it :)

Yeah, I've never had an issue with the MS CAI until now. However, I've always wanted the COBB SRI and probably will get one once I sell this MS CAI. The MS CAI has been great but was a pain in the ass to install as well as maintain since the splash guard I have needed to be re-bolted with NEW fasteners before the install. I tell you, the quality JDM Mazda put into this thing fkn sucks! These fasteners fly off the splash guard for no damn reason!

air by pass valves help but i researched them, most people said that the one from aem is kind of cheaply made and needed to be replaced every 6 months to a year, just what i found from research, not from my own personal experience though lol

Yeah, it also doesn't help that AEM DIDN"T make one for the Mazdaspeed 6!!!! I tell you, this will be my FIRST and LAST forced induction car! Next time, it's gonna be NA ALL THE WAY!

Def. look into an air bypass valve, I have no experience since im running an SRI but seems like it would be better than not having one

Def. look into an air bypass valve, I have no experience since im running an SRI but seems like it would be better than not having one

Might just stick with this setup and try avoiding water until I can get a COBB SRI. No one, as of my knowledge, has made an air bypass valve yet for teh MS6. AEM's air bypass valve is only for NA vehicles.

turbo cars dont need cai. so all u guys running one ar just putting a dangerous straw for ur motor to drink any puddle u run over for no reason. a sri is all thats needed the turbo heats the air up agian anyways if u want to help intake temps get a fmic or upgraded top mount.

turbo cars dont need cai. so all u guys running one ar just putting a dangerous straw for ur motor to drink any puddle u run over for no reason. a sri is all thats needed the turbo heats the air up agian anyways if u want to help intake temps get a fmic or upgraded top mount.

Yes, I think most of us who have CAIs know that dude. And truthfully, today I was driving carelessly. CAIs do help and there are noticeable gains. However, you've listed parts that would set the average buyer over $1000 bucks to remedy a situation that can be controlled by cautious driving skills.

I have a 07 v6, does the can the cpe be converted to SRI like the K&N? Does the Mazdsaspeed CAI have the same problem, I would think not since it does not void your warranty. I wonder if its shorter?

Looks the CPE and the Mazdaspeed CAI is a shorter pipe just one piece, as K & N is two pea pipes nearly twice as lont. guess thats make a difference for water damage.

First, how do you know water was the problem? When you got home did you check the filter and intake? Was everything wet under the hood and inside fender well? If the MAF just got wet no biggie as long as it isnt damaged and shorted. MAF cleaner is a good idea and delicate handling. Changing oil and seeing what is in there (water) is crucial. You may not have Hydrolocked at all... To be honest, driving through that much water no matter what intake you have is not a good idea!

Yes, I think most of us who have CAIs know that dude. And truthfully, today I was driving carelessly. CAIs do help and there are noticeable gains. However, you've listed parts that would set the average buyer over $1000 bucks to remedy a situation that can be controlled by cautious driving skills.

i agree, however, for intakes #1 consideration i tell people is the normal weather you are in.

i live in SoCal, so its super dry and rainy only on and off for a couple months in winter.
in more wet climates, SRI just makes more sense. hell the AAT is already fairly cool to begin with compared to cali or south/midwest states.

First, how do you know water was the problem?

smart thinking here. if you really hydrolocked your car you would not have been able to start your car even if it was an hour and a half later. unless you have a hole in your engine where water can escape which means your loosing alot of oil! if it was truly hydrolocked you would have water in your cylinders and if you would try to start your car it would try and crank and fail because the pistons can not compress water therefor engine goes kaboom! sounds like you got lucky and some water got into the MAF sensor which made it act up and shut off. ya got lucky. clean the MAF and you should be fine. i hydrolocked my MSP within the first couple months of having it and got lucky enough to know what was going on so i didnt try to start my car. pulled it out of the huge river of a puddle and pulled the plugs and got over half a gallon of water out of it. motor is still good and strong!

smart thinking here. if you really hydrolocked your car you would not have been able to start your car even if it was an hour and a half later. unless you have a hole in your engine where water can escape which means your loosing alot of oil! if it was truly hydrolocked you would have water in your cylinders and if you would try to start your car it would try and crank and fail because the pistons can not compress water therefor engine goes kaboom! sounds like you got lucky and some water got into the MAF sensor which made it act up and shut off. ya got lucky. clean the MAF and you should be fine. i hydrolocked my MSP within the first couple months of having it and got lucky enough to know what was going on so i didnt try to start my car. pulled it out of the huge river of a puddle and pulled the plugs and got over half a gallon of water out of it. motor is still good and strong!

Well, I have never said I Hydrolocked, just put it in the thread title for advice reasons. But yeah, I knew that the MAF shorted out and caused the engine to shut off and I also knew that I didn't have much water in the CAI because I was in neutral as soon as I hit the puddle. All is working fine now and oil has been changed.

Back