Water and HVAC System

:
2008 CX-9 GT AWD NAVI MOON CLASS 3 HIITCH FACTORY 20'S
Well I got a call from my daughter this week telling me that there's the sound of water inside the CX-9. My initial reaction was no way but after taking it for a drive that same evening, I realized that there was indeed water inside the front and rear A/C vent system!

So I had my daughter drive the vehicle while I sat in the passenger seat. While driving I felt water dripping onto my bare feet. The water was coming out of the front fan housing. As well there was enough water in the rear fan housing that I could hear it sloshing around from under the center console. Unbelievable!

Next day I called my Mazda service dealer in the hopes that they could inspect the vehicle but they were too busy. I booked an appointment for the day after. During the day the problem seemed to correct itself and the water must have drained out the proper line because by the end of the day, there was no more water left inside any vent ducts or fan assemblies.

I cancelled my appointment because at $108 per hour and no evidence of a problem, I'm not going pay a technician to disassemble my dash and console for nothing.

This is the last straw that has broken the camel's back for this P.O.S.

Hopefully no other CX-9 owners have had to experience this.

Ok. so i just had this issue with our 08 which is why we were at the dealer and picked up a better apr with the 2011.

Basically what i was told is that the AC drain was clogged. I was asked if we parked under trees, and I told them that we rarely did. But we don't garage it.

The water was only a small symptom as any time we would turn left, the AC would go full blast and cut the air off from the cabin.

The service tech was able to reproduce the problem, and it was covered under our warranty, but I was told it was a normal maintenance issue, that they should have charged us for.

I did initially take the glove box, and the bottom cover off and the cabin air filter out, to try and locate where the water was coming from, when i found drops on the fan i knew we needed to take it in.

My question is how is a AC drain prone to that much debris. I still need to locate this drain for when or if it happens on our new 11.

Last edited:
kelrog I had a similar experience with left turns except that air kept flowing but I could hear the fan hitting the water in the housing. Water was actually dripping out of the housing onto my floor mat on the passenger side.

The drain on my CX-9 is located above the drive shaft, forward section, just to the driver's side of the shaft. It's covered by a heat shield that is bolted to the underside of the floor, between the drive shaft and the floor. I suspect that the shield might have been blocking the outlet somehow, who knows.

well whatever they did to unclog the drain, the turning left stuff left, and we didn't have anymore water leakage for 2 weeks until we traded it in. i miss my tint. :( but i love the BT audio, new backup camera angle/lines, and so much better smartkeys.

well whatever they did to unclog the drain, the turning left stuff left, and we didn't have anymore water leakage for 2 weeks until we traded it in. i miss my tint. :( but i love the BT audio, new backup camera angle/lines, and so much better smartkeys.

Yes I know what you mean about the BT audio, backup camera, angle/lines and smartkeys kelrog. I will miss those features, preety sweet.

I had the same issue. The drain plug gets clogged. I shot compressed air into it from under the car. As much as a gallon of water came down. Search my post from last year or so.

Ed

I also have had the drain clog on my ac in my 2007. Finally found the drain under a shield under the middle hump of the car. A couple of bolts and the shield is moveable enough to get a vac hose on the drain. I alternated blowing and vacuuming until the clog was gone. THEN, slowly my blower motor crapped out. (must be from operating UNDER WATER for days!) NOT good here in 110 degree Houston. I order a new motor from dealer direct parts. (do not pay mazda for one). Now my motor is on order and I yank the bad one out. I cut the hinge on the cover of the motor and opened her up. I tried to disassemble but decided to leave it in one piece. I did whack it thee times with a ball peen hammer (on metal case of motor) and TONS of black crap fell out of the motor. I shot some brake cleaner then some WD and let dry. Installed to see if it was still fried and it now works as well as NEW. Now I have a nice back up motor if the need ever arises. Everyone with this problem, lets beat on Mazda to TSB/warranty this issue before more of you shell out thousands for not cleaning a leaf out of a hose. Regards, Dean

Same thing happened to me! It started with sloshing sound, smelly air coming out of the vents then the blower would stop after only 2 minutes...

I had air blown into the drain whole. Before anything else, I swapped both relays just to make sure and that didn't make any difference, the motor seemed dead... So I took it out and I was rusty as hell!! So I blew air in it using a computer duster can, POORED like crazy some silicon-based lubricant, blew some more air and then plugged it back it. A MIRACLE HAPPENED!! The HVAC motor is working again!

Thanks to all your posts on this forum!

This problem has affected us too. Sloshing noise was noticed on a Monday, CX9 '09 booked in for Thursday morning, motor was working fine when I dropped it off - stopped working on the front after I picked it up later. They want US$900 to replace. Are you kidding me?? Yes, the car is parked outside, and under a tree. Rear blower is fine. Going to swap the relays first, then take a look at the front blower. I don't like the coincidence of dropping off the car in the morning and picking up later with a non-working front blower. Others on this forum seem to have had the problem for longer than us, and had no problem with blower....US$900....no way buddy!

Back