Wanting to buy a MP3

timbers

:
2001 Mazda MP3
I have been looking for one of these for a long time. Finally found one but it is a good distance away. The only time I have ever been in one was when they were bran new on the lot. I thought it was a nice car at the time and the engine had just the right sound, but I never drove it. So I a have few questions I hope you can help me with.

I understand this is a limited edition protege. Most parts should be easy to come by, but not so sure about the MP3 specific parts. Should I be concerned about that? For instance if I ever needed to replace the struts, or control arms. Would these parts be hard or expensive to come by?

My other concern is the tires and wheels. I live in houston with some pretty bad streets. Is the suspension so stiff that it will not be a good car here?

He is asking $3000. It has 138,000 miles. The body is in good shape except for the hood which has a small dent in the corner. It does not have the original sound system. It seems fair enough to me.

My current car is a 1990 626 which I have been driving for 20 years, so i need a little change. Mechanically the car is perfect with 315,000 miles. The only thing wrong with it is the paint and body ( which is why I want to get something else ). I hope the MP3 would also be a car that I can get high miles out of.

The struts that came for our cars are about 400 for all 4 and that really the biggest thing. Pretty much any other parts for an 01-03 protege with the 2.0 will fit including struts. The mp3 just came with high performance stiffer struts that you should use but don't have to (I'm not). By not having the original sound system what do you mean? No sub in the back or not the same stereo? That's a pretty good price a lot are going for 4500 and some on cars.com for 7k. I would make sure he has replaced the timing belt with those miles. Is it blue or yellow either way be prepared for people to stare at u a lot on the road

It has a JVC stereo. No sub. Its the blue one. The seller has only owned it for a few weeks. Says he bought it for his son who does not like it. He wants a Monte Carlo. So he does not have a good history on the car. Talking with him he does not seem to know anything about the car, or how it is originally supposed to be. In other words he does not know what he has. Nice to know I can replace suspension parts with the regular protege. Timing belts I can replace. I've done my about 5 times. Takes me about an hour and a half. I am sure this one will be a little bit more involved

Either his son doesn't like it or it has major issues he didn't know when he bought it. Just make sure you look over it really good or take it to a mechanic. Obviously if its fine his son is an idiot :)

well acording to the ad he has 2 of them(one for parts) so he knows what he has I would say to pass. But that's me also you say its far from you and it needs the hub assembly so the wheel bearing is probly bad not good for a long trip. I'm pretty sure there's one or 2 on the forums for sale keep looking you'll find one. I know your pain I'm trying to find a non ragged out stock 240sx hatchback there's probly less of those than the mp3s

There is a nice blue one for sale on autotrader.com right now. It has low miles and looks like its in good shape. Dont know if your still looking or not

im in new york make an offer
2001 blue mp3 BONE STOCK 76,000 + -
going into the shop soon t replace front left fender and bumper (look at my pic)
Ive had this car since nov 15 2001 with 14 miles on it from the dealer.
if you want ill send you pics e-mail me if your interested writetotheraes@msn.com

Back