Want to remove those pin stripes?

coyfish

Took me 2 years to finally get my pin stripes off.

1 year ago: I began by trying the hair dryer / credit card method. Trying to scrape the stripe off. Took me about 3 hours to remove the stripes off the hood. Followed it up with some goof off and made the mistake of leaving it on too long. The paint became slightly hazed if you get up very close.

Anyway over winter break I finished the job. Didn't take pics so can't do an official how to but figured this would benefit someone out there . . .

Buy a ruler! Find a thin one with an angled edge made of plastic. Not the super flexible kind but ones that can bend a little bit. The mini 6 inch ruler would be even better.

Next angle the ruler at about 45 degrees, press firmly, and slide it under the stripe. Applying a good amount of pressure the stripe should peel off. Don't be afraid to press hard (you won't scratch) but obviously use some discretion.

The biggest tip is really not how but what to use. I tried credit cards, plastic painting tools, etc. Nothing really worked or they bent too easily.

After you finish that you will have a lot of residue left over. I used two towels. One for the goof off and another wet with soap. Use the goof off liberally but don't scrub. Let it sit over the residue for 15 seconds or so. Then use the ruler and scrape off the residue. It should come off easily. Then wipe with the soapy side and repeat if necessary.

They key is simply to not let the chemical sit on the paint for too long or scrub too hard with it. I did about a foot at a time.

Ended up with a great result with no scratches or "haziness."

wait, you had pinstripes on your MS6?!?! who the hell would have put em on in the first place. BLECH!! im assuming previous owner did that.
glad you got em off smoothly :D

K ill get some after pics up later today or tomorrow. Gotta hunt to see if I can find some before pics of the stripes though.

i had no idea they released MS6 with factory pin stripes. BLECH cant believe modern cars still get those!!!

they shoulda died in the 70's.
only work on classic cars and older IMHO.

some pics. Don't have a camera so these pocket cam's will have to do for now.

Attachments

• 124_0177.JPG
    124_0177.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 124_0176.JPG
    124_0176.JPG
    599.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 124_0179.JPG
    124_0179.JPG
    645.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 124_0178.JPG
    124_0178.JPG
    828.2 KB · Views: 106
  • car picture TMIC.jpg
    car picture TMIC.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 104
I'm thinking you had pics with the pinstripes! Remember, there are those of us....especially with the beautiful BCM hue, that weren't cursed with it.

^^BCM ftmfw.

my old mx6 had pinstripes. which i promptly removed after 2 days of ownership. lol
luckily that car was old enough that fingernails and lifting pulled them cleanly right off.

next time use a 3m pin stripe eraser. it work in an air tool. will not scratch the car, works with the door molding tape too or emblem tape. we used them all the time in the bodyshop. takes about 5-10 min. to do the hole car. get em at pep boys autozone and other auto parts stores.

Back