Wagner vs. Spool vs. HiBoost

Yaegs4life said:
Is the hiboost kit safe to run on a stock p5 engine and daily at that?

At 8psi...as a daily driver...the Haltech is managing the proper A/F ratios. I drive mine in all weather conditions...short and long trips.

In general...the Mazdaspeed Protege had THE EXACT same internals as the P5 (contrary to some beliefs that it has strogner internals). The FS motor is strong...but proper fuel is the key.

The magic number seams to be around 230-250 whp.... after that internals are a must. Again...this is for the most part a combination of speculation and that of those vendors/members that have been boosting for months/year+.

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the first 2 hiboost kits blow their engines in a short time?...i got the first wagner kit and paulmp3 got the 2nd and we're still going strong even with real road track racing (30-40 minute wot racing sessions at 7psi)

That I know, only YP5 Toronto has blown the engine, and he doesnt blame it on the kit. What you are thinking is me and Deckedout MP5 that have automatic trannies and they cant handle our 11 psi. But this is a problem to anyone boosting an automatic Protege.

jaje said:
correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the first 2 hiboost kits blow their engines in a short time?...i got the first wagner kit and paulmp3 got the 2nd and we're still going strong even with real road track racing (30-40 minute wot racing sessions at 7psi)

jeje..... I posted my rebuild story...and contrary to the many other posts that talk about FI.... I posted everything.... conditions.... mods.... and even a DYNO with the Wideband displayed... in efforts for everyone to understand how it happened.

If you took the time to look at the post....you would see the reason the rod broke.

This was not a kit specific issue...it had to do with HIGH RPMs.

Your post is a perfect example of misinformation and not truelly reading other peoples posts.... the other misfortunate scenario was with an automatic tranny not being able to hold high levels of psi.

Sorry if I sound pissed (most will agree I'm usually quite laidback).... but there is too much Male Ego Posturing going on lately "my turbo is bigger than yours".

(30-40 minute wot racing sessions at 7psi)

I do this all the time. My daily driving car, today I reached 120mph driving work.

"sessions" is the clue here. If you let the car to cool down, you will be fine.

YP5 Toronto said:
Sorry if I sound pissed (most will agree I'm usually quite laidback).... but there is too much Male Ego Posturing going on lately "my turbo is bigger than yours".

True...

Take for example Kooldino, Little Beavis, Linux...a some more others. They are real turbo sleepers. Its been quite a long time that their cars are boosting and not talk crap about turbos, and Little Beavis has not blown his engine and I think he has more than a year and a half running spooled.

As of me, I have 8 whole months boosting, no major issues.

From now on, If I blow my engine, it doesnt count because I will be pushing it to the "limits" so it may happen and Im ready to pay the consequences. I almost fry my pistons 3 weeks ago, but I knew I was pushing it over their limit

...still holding strong as of today "knock, knock" a raising the boost again.

In other words, stay tunned for my next blown engine. ;)

Last edited:
so it seems the two highest quality kits are hiboost and wagner

igdrasil: as for "session" means road racing on a road track...street driving is not the same as a WOT track sessions (it's actually a huge difference as you are driving at 10/10ths)...anyway i'd be kinda scared if someone did drive on the street like they do the track

YP5 Toronto: i read your post and understand that they overrevved the engine causing its demise (these engines are not made to rev)...i think someone dragged you into this discussion...i was only referring to the first 2 kits sold by hiboost and not your instance as that would happen regardless of the kit

i was only referring to the first 2 kits sold by hiboost

Those would be me and Deckedout, none have blown engines. I just want to make it clear. ;)

i wouldnt say that any kit is that much lesser than another. theres just alot of opinions from people who own one or the other. i plan on getting the flyinprotege kit this summer because the offer a relable street kit with about the HP i'm looking for. and a name that i would have a hard time arguing agenst. i think they keep both cats aswell.. if that means anything to anyone.
just my $.02

I'll be going with the wagner kit myself. For the cost ($3250), you get a pre-tapped oil pan, pre-assembled mani-turbo-wastegate-downpipe WITH the wastegate pipe welded into the DP. And it looks great and seems to have good reliability. All I want is some more umph to my MP3. 6psi should be enough, and I'll be throwing a J&S Safeguard in there to make sure timing is proper. Fuel is only half the tuning, well maybe 75% of it :). Timing is also a big key in engine longetivity.

Chris

Pirana said:
Those would be me and Deckedout, none have blown engines. I just want to make it clear. ;)

i had thought that deckedout hurt his engine on the dyno?

YP5 Toronto said:
In general...the Mazdaspeed Protege had THE EXACT same internals as the P5 (contrary to some beliefs that it has strogner internals).

"THE EXACT" is not necessarily true. . .it has been stated that the rods are different, but that they unfortunately offer little more strength than the "normal" rods.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match here, but there were a bunch of threads on this at one point (at least in my own little world I remember this, but it is a moot point really). So, I guess this was just a wasted post. . .

Wait a minute 1300 posts for me. . .damn, I knew there was a reason! :D (drinks) :D

Man, I really need to get back to work. . . ;)

DooMer_MP3 said:
I'll be going with the wagner kit myself. For the cost ($3250), you get a pre-tapped oil pan, pre-assembled mani-turbo-wastegate-downpipe WITH the wastegate pipe welded into the DP. And it looks great and seems to have good reliability. All I want is some more umph to my MP3. 6psi should be enough, and I'll be throwing a J&S Safeguard in there to make sure timing is proper. Fuel is only half the tuning, well maybe 75% of it :). Timing is also a big key in engine longetivity.

Chris

smart move with getting the j&s, i wish i got one when i first boosted my car..

I spoke with Andrew Wagner today 6 weeks to two months delivery. I've waited 1-1/2 years to be able to afford a turbo kit and I just can't wait that much longer.

I sent an e-mail right before I left work to Hiboost questioning delivery. Juan responded to me not even a few hours later, said
they were ready for immediate shipment and that they have a
special on the basic kit for $3595 with shipping included.
He sold me!

My deal with the FM Kit is that if I am spending $3600
for a turbo kit it needs to look as well as it performs.

How much is a J&S safeguard? That can put you real close to a HiBoost kit which has the Haltech monitoring a/f and adjusting to prevent detonation and the Haltech boost controller prevents overboosting.

The tech's at YP5 Toronto dyno blew his engine.

Thanks Shane02pro5, I am glad I'm not the only one.

Do you not need the J&S with the HiBoost kit?

Back