Wagner vs. Spool vs. HiBoost

^ well said... I'm sure the highboost kit is great and I'm glad to see another company coming out with quality parts and a comittment to the pro.

One thing I've noticed over the past year is how rad FM and BEGI have been with support... Me being one of the first to have the kit I had my share of questions. Not to mention the fact that Corky gave me his cell and home nubmers to call with any concerns. <--- RAD

i picked wagner for reliability...daily driver and road racing can kill a kit quickly...had mine on for 9 months now (4 track events) and 8k miles and run a reliable 7psi and 179 whp...196 ft lb tq

just comparing a kit by dynos is not an accurate comparison b/c different dyno / different day (altitude, temperature, humidity, etc.) can make a big difference...what really tells the tale is the quality of the components, the knowledge of the guy who designed and reproduces the kit, and the care put into each one made

Judging by your feedback maybe i will give the BEGI kit another look. But as of now the HiBoost kit looks the best. Call me ricey but I like the look of a big FMIC better than that vertically opposed stuff, better or not.

Thanks again guys, Paul

You forgot to add Mental Addiction Motorsports :)
We are about 80% complete with our second kit and hope to have it dyno'd in 1-2 weeks.
The first kit that will come to market will consist of:

304SS manifold
GT28 ball bearing turbo
38mm Tial wastgate
2.25 stainless down pipe
large front mount Extruded core intercooler(bumper mount)
voltage clamp
BEGI FMU
Blow off valve
NGK Iridium plugs
T-bolt clamps
silicone connectors
Braided Oil lines,etc

Pricing to be around $3800

We will be looking for a sponsor car in about 3-4 weeks.We will be releasing pictures and dyno numbers within a few weeks.

MAMotorsports- when i tried to click your website it says there is no website configured to this address, whats up with that? do you have any pics of the kit?

MAMotorsports said:
You forgot to add Mental Addiction Motorsports :)
We are about 80% complete with our second kit and hope to have it dyno'd in 1-2 weeks.
The first kit that will come to market will consist of:

304SS manifold
GT28 ball bearing turbo
38mm Tial wastgate
2.25 stainless down pipe
large front mount Extruded core intercooler(bumper mount)
voltage clamp
BEGI FMU
Blow off valve
NGK Iridium plugs
T-bolt clamps
silicone connectors
Braided Oil lines,etc

Pricing to be around $3800

We will be looking for a sponsor car in about 3-4 weeks.We will be releasing pictures and dyno numbers within a few weeks.

where are you located?

Captain KRM P5 said:

you're in the chicago area? perhaps you'll come out to one of our meets and i can change your impression of this kit with a ride :)?

Maybe I could take you for a ride and make you wish Spool was back in business! :D

MAM, that's cool we've got another kit coming out!

mp5jeff said:
MAMotorsports- when i tried to click your website it says there is no website configured to this address, whats up with that? do you have any pics of the kit?

My website is being updated.My web guy might be doing something with it.

We are located at 19 E Vine St Mesa, AZ 85210.

SicP5, I have always promoted the Hiboost kit and even though I dont have my P5 anymore, I will still continue to promote the kit; as is one of the most complete and highest quality kits available. Juan has been boosting the FS engine for the better part of 12 years. He also runs and promotes races in South America. His company sells his kits all the way in Australia, so he has reach :)

His kit utilizes a tubular cast manifold (not a log type) giving you performance and reliability for a long time. He also uses a ball bearing IHI turbo, just like a Subaru, and its trim configuration is comparable (bigger) than a T3. The intercooler utilizes a Spearco core and mandrel bend piping. He has done his homework, when you receive the kit with the Haltech F10 it will already have a programed fuel map to give your P5 214whp at 8psi. You can order (like I did) a HKS SSQ BOV or any other and also get a Haltech boost controller with preprogramed fuel maps for the desired boost. You will get Hose Techniques connectors and everything else needed for an easy installation (click my link to see my installation procedure) including NGK colder spark plugs. Well enough ramblings, my P5 was automatic and was running 11psi on a daily basis and dynoed at 239.7whp at 12psi. By far none gets close to this kit, you can buy with confidence that it will give you exactly what you want. One bad thing, you will need a new clutch. :D

dfw 04.jpg

fw 04.jpg

Last edited:
Pirana- Thanks for the info I am definitely going with the HiBoost kit. Now its just a matter of getting my hands on $4000+

How much for the CF wing?

You wont be dissapointed. The kit is great! Its a lot of money, but is a complete kit, no patch ups and very few upgrades, like the HKS and boost controller. He also offers injectors and he is working on forged rods and special pistons for those who want to venture into the 19psi mark!

Regarding the wing, I do have a prospective buyer, I will let you know. $175+shipping.

Pirana- Just out of curiosity, what did you do w/ your P5?
And what are you driving now?
Keep me posted.
Thanks AGAIN!
-Paul

I can't say much more than Pirana did....but the parts that he uses...the engineering...the fit and finish is outstanding.

as an example...all of the exhaust components; the manifold, the turbo, the Downpipe are match up so well that you do not need to run any gaskets...I am on well over 5000km and there isn't a leak to be found.

The IHI VF-22 (I hope I got the model correct) is an awesome turbo...great performance (it is sometime overshadowed by the fact that most of the talk on this board relates to the t3, t3/4, t25 and t28) and larger then the largest T3.

One thing about all the kits available....you need to know your stuff.... you don't have to have an expert... but you will need to understand how everything works...

on that note...with the hiboost kit... it means that you need to understand a bit more because you are using the Haltech F10. It does come pre-programed out of the box... but will all kits... maintainence is your responsibility.

YP5 Toronto is your car a daily driver? and if so, how has it been running in the extreme cold weather that you have been having of late?

Padre said:
YP5 Toronto is your car a daily driver? and if so, how has it been running in the extreme cold weather that you have been having of late?

It has been running quite well....I am having some minor issues starting her..but Juan (hiboost) will be working through that will me over the next few days.

Juan is fortunate not to live in these conditions...but this means he hasn't had the opportunity to TUNE in these conditions.

the starting problems maybe more than a turbo thing as my friends 2.0 es protege has trouble turning over if the temp gets below 30 degrees...as does mine before and after the turbo was added

Back