VW TDIs and DieselGate

I’ve have a ’14 Jetta TDI - and am awaiting a fall buyback date so that I can trade into the CX-5 2.2 D. My ’04 Passat broke down on vacation I was “states away” from home - on vacation with a costly timing belt replacement and needed a car. Last timing belt was a year earlier. so...
-
I test drove all the VW TDI’s on the lot and liked the Jetta “Special (cheapo) Edition” best, mainly because it had no “I’m important chrome” or “got gold badge/trim” in the cabin or on the dash. The radio had to go (no bluetooth or traffic nav).
I’m a strong believer in the “Less is More” design approach. It happened to be the last day of the month, with 3 hours on the clock for VW cash, dealer cash and a high trade in amount. Deal.
I enjoy the no frills interior and the torque. My first highway drive home registered 56 mpg traveling across North Carolina. Average highway, without traffic, 42 - 48 mpg. I do check my rearview mirror for people behind me collapsing in my vehicle’s emissions.
-
My research singled out the CX-5 as the ONLY vehicle I could sit in (esthetically). The test drive was softer than the critics suggested but my Jetta “Special (cheapo) Edition ” is a rougher ride with plenty of road noise. The CX-5 is well designed so I’ll be awaiting the reviews on the diesel’s cost and maintenance.
Thank you all you Mazda247 posters…! This site was/is extremely helpful.
Damn, wish I was more patient. Fall is a long way off.

Issues with the the diesel in the CX-5 was in the early days of its release. I have several friends who drive the diesel and they don't experience any issues whatsoever. Once the service reminder comes up, they just get it serviced at their dealer without any additional unforeseen work. The initial issues were rectified by Mazda's replacement of a new dipstick and modified software for the diesel particulate filter. I had a drive in the current 2.2D and the extra torque from the diesel mill was very nice. Good luck with yours if you end up choosing it.

I don't go more than 75k miles on belt changes anymore. It's just not worth chancing for me anymore. In that picture the radiator support it pulled away some. I thread the rods into the front frame and then just slide the support forward about 8".

e9bad22ca9fbb3b92bb55c4ef45b02dd.jpg
Some even suggest 60K instead of official 105K miles! So you're doing "service position" by the Service Manual. Others are sway the front end to the passenger side. It's good you can do timing belt replacement by yourself with a couple of VW special tools. Otherwise it would be costly for this V6!

Do you happen to be on PassatWorld?

Issues with the the diesel in the CX-5 was in the early days of its release. I have several friends who drive the diesel and they don't experience any issues whatsoever. Once the service reminder comes up, they just get it serviced at their dealer without any additional unforeseen work. The initial issues were rectified by Mazda's replacement of a new dipstick and modified software for the diesel particulate filter. I had a drive in the current 2.2D and the extra torque from the diesel mill was very nice. Good luck with yours if you end up choosing it.

Agreed. Im on my second Cx5 diesel and my brother has a 2012 diesel too. Neither of us has blown an engine!

The problem with the internet and forums is that you only hear of the problems, and, you also dont get any sense of the percentage of owners who have the reported problems. I would suggest the % who have problems is very small.

Ive said it more than once on this forum - and this is a fact, not opinion:

CX5 is Australias #1 selling SUV/CUV and by a decent margin. . No small feat in the worlds most open car market, with more choices of vehicles in this class than just about every other country in the world.

If the diesels were causing as much drama as some people on this forum would have you believe, then there is no way that would be the case, and the regular press/media would be all over the issue. As would our Consumer Affars departments.
Fact: they are not.

Some even suggest 60K instead of official 105K miles! So you're doing "service position" by the Service Manual. Others are sway the front end to the passenger side. It's good you can do timing belt replacement by yourself with a couple of VW special tools. Otherwise it would be costly for this V6!

Do you happen to be on PassatWorld?
I've been in the same situation as you, replacing leaking water pumps before timing belts are due. I gave up on after market pumps and just get a genuine VW pump now. I actually recently had the thermostat housing warp and started leaking so I had to pull the front-end apart again for that. For that I just marked the pulleys and belt and pulled the belt off only one head. And yes, I do the service position per the book, it's much easier and offers plenty of room to work.

I'm also a member of PassatWorld, I think I've been on there for about 12 years now.

I've been in the same situation as you, replacing leaking water pumps before timing belts are due. I gave up on after market pumps and just get a genuine VW pump now. I actually recently had the thermostat housing warp and started leaking so I had to pull the front-end apart again for that. For that I just marked the pulleys and belt and pulled the belt off only one head. And yes, I do the service position per the book, it's much easier and offers plenty of room to work.

I'm also a member of PassatWorld, I think I've been on there for about 12 years now.
You must know PZ then. He's the godsend in our area for Passat owners. But I thought the plastic VW water pump is not good either like my original was failed at 57,000 miles. Aftermarket water pump at least features metal impeller. :)

It's very nice you can handle those issues on Passat by yourself which saves you lots of money! We used to buy only VW vehicles and I've always been fixing things by myself. I'm too old now for these many issues on Passat such as the TB and related. That's why we bought a CX-5!

Back