Vibration while turning right and applying power

I am taking my 2014 AWD Touring in for a vibration I've noticed @ low speeds in roundabouts ect. under moderate acceleration. I have checked what gear I felt it and it appears like 2nd gear. Mine feels more like a manual transmission slipping? I only have 5000 miles on it and I wanted noted more than anything. What are the other options? Changing out the tranny or drivetrain on a new car? No way. I have this fear it would only get worse the more parts they change.

I'm taking mine back this week. Mazda wants the dealer to hook up some monitoring equip and send the results to them. The tech who went on a test drive with me did eventually notice the vibration while car was in second gear @ around 20mph.
I've looked around to see if anyone else has experienced this, but there don't appear to be any postings. I've had my 2014 GT AWD CX-5 since April. Everything was going well with the vehicle for the first 5000 miles. My wife and I were about to drive from Seattle to Ann Arbor (moving permanently), and the dealer I purchased the car from offers the first oil change and tire rotation for free, so I took it in before the long drive across country.

The CX-5 handled the drive great, but shortly after getting to the Midwest I started noticing a vibration during a pretty specific maneuver. When making a right turn and applying power (such as pulling out of a parking lot onto a road or turning right at an intersection), I feel a vibration that seems to come from the front right quadrant of the vehicle.

• The frequency seems pretty close to the axle rotation speed and is definitely lower than the engine speed.

• The vibration does not occur when turning left or driving in a straight line under the same conditions.

• If I let off of the gas pedal, the vibration reduces appreciably.

• It typically only occurs at lower speeds and high steering angles. I never feel it at highway speeds. It's possible it would occur at higher speeds too, but I never achieve as high of a steering angle at high speeds.

• I feel the vibration through the floor only, not through the steering wheel or pedals.
My first thought was to have the tires checked, re-balanced, and rotated, and see if the issue remains. The symptoms don't seem consistent with a tire issue, but it was worth eliminating that as a possibility. Now that I've completed that, the issue remains. I'll be taking it to a dealership to have it looked at under warranty.

I'm putting this here because it hasn't been determined if it is a powertrain issue or a wheels/tires/suspension issue. The symptoms are leading me to think powertrain/driveline. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this issue on their CX-5 or any other vehicle. I also want to document this issue for any other people that may encounter it in the future.

I will return with more information once I've had a chance to take it in to have it looked at.

Last edited:
Had my CX5 looked at and after trying different things for almost a week the replaced both front axles and the problem is gone. The problem is the issue wasn't there when I bought it. Will the problem come back after a few thousand miles? The only problem now is that since they changed the axles I can feel EVERYTHING through my steering wheel @ 60mph and over especially. Almost to the point my hands are numb after my 55 mile commute to work. Something isn't right. I am going to take it back next week. Not sure if they did an alignment after the swapped axles? Is an alignment necessary after a front axle change?

If they disconnect anything suspension-wise, then yes at least up on the rack to check it.

Find a dealer with a Hunter wheel balancer that can measure roadforce, will make a difference if the feeling changes with speed.

Well after changing both front axles, which fixed the problem, Approx. 1200 miles later the problem has returned. Not sure what I should do? I really can't imagine taking my CX5 back every 2000 miles or so to get the axles changed out? Inferior axles? Something else causing it? I'm thinking a new vehicle? I really don't want any other major things changed out transfer case or transmission ect. I feel that will introduce a crap load of additional problems? Anybody else have more than 2500 miles on an AWD CX5 and feel some jerking or vibration in second gear around 20mph?

I have had my 2014 CX-5 GT for about a month with 2740 km on the odometer. With steady but not slow acceleration I get a vibration from what appears to be the front of the vehicle up to about 40 km/hr(25 mph), but not specifically through the steering wheel. This occurs when going in a straight line. Can't say I've tried to replicate it while accelerating in a turn as others here are referring to. I mentioned it to my local dealer where I bought my CX-5. They said that they have had no one comment of such a vibration, but that it may be me feeling rough pavement. This issue occurs on all types of pavement as I told them. Kind of felt like a brushoff and not wanting to look in to the problem. They finally said to bring the vehicle in some time for a test drive. I too had thought of front drive axles/u joints. Are there not some kind of harmonic balancers in the engine to remove engine vibrations? Could this be a possible problem? The vibration always goes away above about 40 km/hr(25 mph).

If it's ROAD speed related it's transmission through road. So look there.

Roadforce balancing tires may help, ask when their machine was last calibrated and what their maximum allowable roadforce measurement is.

Sounds exactly like my issue. See my previous posts on what fixed it. Two front axles. But the problem seems to be slowly coming back.

Vibration

If it's ROAD speed related it's transmission through road. So look there.

Roadforce balancing tires may help, ask when their machine was last calibrated and what their maximum allowable roadforce measurement is.

I can't see how the vibration is due to the road as it is the same on really smooth or rough roads. Because it happens only at slow speeds I can't get past the thought that it is somehow drivetrain related.

I have had my 2014 CX-5 GT for about a month with 2740 km on the odometer. With steady but not slow acceleration I get a vibration from what appears to be the front of the vehicle up to about 40 km/hr(25 mph), but not specifically through the steering wheel. This occurs when going in a straight line. Can't say I've tried to replicate it while accelerating in a turn as others here are referring to. I mentioned it to my local dealer where I bought my CX-5. They said that they have had no one comment of such a vibration, but that it may be me feeling rough pavement. This issue occurs on all types of pavement as I told them. Kind of felt like a brushoff and not wanting to look in to the problem. They finally said to bring the vehicle in some time for a test drive. I too had thought of front drive axles/u joints. Are there not some kind of harmonic balancers in the engine to remove engine vibrations? Could this be a possible problem? The vibration always goes away above about 40 km/hr(25 mph).

I forgot to mention that I put winter tyres on separate alloy rims and this vibration was there on the original all season tyres and rims as well as the current winters.

I can't see how the vibration is due to the road as it is the same on really smooth or rough roads. Because it happens only at slow speeds I can't get past the thought that it is somehow drivetrain related.

That's not what road force balancing is about. It's about the compound in the tire's rubber being uneven that can case vibration (there are allowable +/- in all tires.) Road force balancing measures the consistency of the tires.

Is that vibration only in first gear ? When you move up to second gear it`s gone ? When if it`s so, I have the same thing................Not always, but especialy when you drive away in first gear away from the roadlights.....

(by the way..............I`m driving with wintertyres.........

Well had my two front axles changed out @ approx. 5500 miles on my cx-5. That fixed the vibration but guess what is coming back again @ around 8300 miles? The same vibration! Something is chewing up the front axles?? Guess that means 12 sets of axles before the warranty is up?

One possibility on a 4WD is that the 4WD engagement clutch is activated when is should not be when you are turning on dry pavement. When you turn at slow speeds the tires track differently and turn at different rates putting a big load on the 4WD drivetrain if it is engaged. Perhaps something is wrong with the sensors or control system that engages the 4WD and it is engaging in non slip (dry pavement) situations. Dou you have tire noise with this vibration? Does it do this on a dirt road or snow where it will be easier for the tires to slip thus not creating a big torque load & vibration? Perhaps there is a fuse you can pull for the 4WD engagement clutch and see if it goes away? In dirt or light sand see if the tire tracks appear to be slipping when you turn (the rear tires may be spinning a bit or the front may be sliding a bit...)

Last edited:
I hate to ask, but have you guys who are experiencing this issue tried turning off the traction control system, and then testing the car to see if it still makes the same vibration under those low speed sharp turn while accelerating issue?

BC.

I never tried because new front axles fixed the problem. But..... the problem is slowly creeping back. Getting worse everyday. Something is chewing up my axles.
I hate to ask, but have you guys who are experiencing this issue tried turning off the traction control system, and then testing the car to see if it still makes the same vibration under those low speed sharp turn while accelerating issue?

BC.

CX-5 vibrations

I've looked around to see if anyone else has experienced this, but there don't appear to be any postings. I've had my 2014 GT AWD CX-5 since April. Everything was going well with the vehicle for the first 5000 miles. My wife and I were about to drive from Seattle to Ann Arbor (moving permanently), and the dealer I purchased the car from offers the first oil change and tire rotation for free, so I took it in before the long drive across country.

The CX-5 handled the drive great, but shortly after getting to the Midwest I started noticing a vibration during a pretty specific maneuver. When making a right turn and applying power (such as pulling out of a parking lot onto a road or turning right at an intersection), I feel a vibration that seems to come from the front right quadrant of the vehicle.

• The frequency seems pretty close to the axle rotation speed and is definitely lower than the engine speed.

• The vibration does not occur when turning left or driving in a straight line under the same conditions.

• If I let off of the gas pedal, the vibration reduces appreciably.

• It typically only occurs at lower speeds and high steering angles. I never feel it at highway speeds. It's possible it would occur at higher speeds too, but I never achieve as high of a steering angle at high speeds.

• I feel the vibration through the floor only, not through the steering wheel or pedals.
My first thought was to have the tires checked, re-balanced, and rotated, and see if the issue remains. The symptoms don't seem consistent with a tire issue, but it was worth eliminating that as a possibility. Now that I've completed that, the issue remains. I'll be taking it to a dealership to have it looked at under warranty.

I'm putting this here because it hasn't been determined if it is a powertrain issue or a wheels/tires/suspension issue. The symptoms are leading me to think powertrain/driveline. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this issue on their CX-5 or any other vehicle. I also want to document this issue for any other people that may encounter it in the future.

I will return with more information once I've had a chance to take it in to have it looked at.

Hi guys. Purchased a "certified" 2016 CX-5 GT with 35K Kms on it a couple of weeks back directly from the dealer after driving an Acura TL for 8 years. First few days trying to get used to a totally new type of drive, but after 3 or 4 days started to notice exactly the same vibrations here described (mid to high speeds, under power, increasingly while turning righ on hwys curves, it goes away as soon as I let go gas pedal). I took it to the dealer and at the second time, the finally detected the vibration. Wheels were balanced, they kept it for a few days and they did some drive balancing (not sure what that is), but came back saying the vibrations are still there. Next step, they are ordering axles and will replace them. I will bring it back when parts arrive and see how it goes. I am happy with the service so far, BUT (and it is a big BUT), it makes me wonder how sturdy or reliable these things are if something that critical goes out of shape so soon on a relatively new car!
This is my first Mazda and so far I heard only good thinks. Lucky me I guess!

Hi guys. Purchased a "certified" 2016 CX-5 GT with 35K Kms on it a couple of weeks back directly from the dealer after driving an Acura TL for 8 years. First few days trying to get used to a totally new type of drive, but after 3 or 4 days started to notice exactly the same vibrations here described (mid to high speeds, under power, increasingly while turning righ on hwys curves, it goes away as soon as I let go gas pedal). I took it to the dealer and at the second time, the finally detected the vibration. Wheels were balanced, they kept it for a few days and they did some drive balancing (not sure what that is), but came back saying the vibrations are still there. Next step, they are ordering axles and will replace them. I will bring it back when parts arrive and see how it goes. I am happy with the service so far, BUT (and it is a big BUT), it makes me wonder how sturdy or reliable these things are if something that critical goes out of shape so soon on a relatively new car!
This is my first Mazda and so far I heard only good thinks. Lucky me I guess!

The previous owner may have hit a curb or a similar type of accident that was not disclosed. Some things will remain a mystery until the effects are known later.

Back