Vibration when in reverse

Aloger

:
2003Mazda Protege 5
Hi there

I have a 2003 protege 5 and I recently had the transmission fluid changed at my local mazda dealership, and now everytime I put the car into reverse the car rumbles and vibrates, I have also been noticing that when the car is just idling the rpm start to drop off and go up and drop off and a little vibration in the dash occurs. When I put the gear into drive there is no vibration and when driving the car runs great. I know the dealer put in mercon v for the tranny as said on my receipt. What do you guys think will be the best solution for this problem?

Thank you

mercon v? hmm haven't heard of that? is that a certification standard for gear oil maybe, or is it definitely a brand? The low idle and such usually happens when the exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve gets clogged with carbon and needs to be cleaned. It's an easy thing to do yourself but if you are under warranty or something you could have the dealer do it.

hehe i had the same thing. the dealer checked my EGR and did everything and i still got the vibration in reverse. hmm? haha maybe its something else causing the problem. does my new exhaust have something to do with it? i heard ya need to let the comp catch up

Check the motor mounts - since it only occurs in reverse - the motor may be free to move too much in one direction - but not the other?

Kansei said:
mercon v? hmm haven't heard of that? is that a certification standard for gear oil maybe, or is it definitely a brand? The low idle and such usually happens when the exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve gets clogged with carbon and needs to be cleaned. It's an easy thing to do yourself but if you are under warranty or something you could have the dealer do it.

yes, it is

Kansei said:
mercon v? hmm haven't heard of that? is that a certification standard for gear oil maybe, or is it definitely a brand?
Mercon V is the ATF fluid spec. Older stuff being mercon III, etc.

Back