Very Strange Problem. Try To Figure This One Out!

SteelWarrior

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Alrighty. well, my car runs pretty well most of the time, i have the typical slightly unstable idle rev, but nothing major. as the weather has been cooling down my cars been boosting better and better which is a + forsure. One night after taking it for a good rip i went to the gas station, got 30 bucks in premium, well the jack ass kid who pumped my gas didnt hear me and put in 30 regular....Well no biggie, one time wont kill me so i take it easy on the car and dont boost it. the next day the cars running a bit rough and has the CEL. so i figure the ECU fuel map is a bit ******. so no problem i just unplug the battery and it resets itself and all is good (did it once before and it worked just fine).

So i disconnected the - side of the battery like i did before, but i guess by leaving on the + i guess it drained it dead. so batteries dead, no biggie, jump started the car, was running great just like before, no more CEL. all is well (put premium in after i ran out of the regular then reseted ECU). so driving to my GFs place, i put on my headlights, and i noticed that my radio lost power for a second. locked my doors, radio again flickered. put on AC and it again flickered. so im like no biggie, just turn it all off and let the alternator recharge the battery.

20 min drive to my GFs, i park in her drive way, turn the car off....just to see i try and turn it back on, cars dead again. starter clicks but not enough battery to do anything. so getting ready to leave her house we jump start it again

NOW. heres where it gets ****** up.

Car gets boosted, starts. i let it run for 15 mins then try and back out. e-break off, put it in reverse and the car instantly stalls out and wont start again. happened about 3 times in a row....so i think the battery is ******. buy a new one, test the old one. old one is apperently okay but not great. so slap the new one in. try to jump start the car again...first few tries to turn it over, i dont get any result. finally it starts and i try to turn on the headlights, car dies and stalls out. jumped it again, tried to rev it and then put in reverse and abck out....stalls again.....so by now im pissed off, periodically my car alarm is going off, yet i dont have enough power to use the keyless entry to lock all 4 doors. when i turn on my lights, my hud and boost gauges/radio work.. but my outside lights dont (i do get signals though).

so my question....what the hell is going on? doesnt make ANY sense to me. if the battery/alternator was dead, i shouldnt be able tos tart the car and run it for 30 mins. if the starter was ****** it wouldnt start. if the ECU was hooped then it shouldnt start....its really wierd it only has problems when i try to move the car or put on high power demand.

any ideas?

Did the people at the auto store check your alternator also to make sure it's good? Did you ever get the CEL read to see what code it was throwing? And how about your fuel pump? I would guess that if things are flickering, it's electrical, and maybe the alternator. Every time I've taken off the - side of the battery and left the + one on, it's never drained. And the last idea.. are you certain you screwed in the ECU harness plug tight enough so that it can't come loose and make your car die? Last idea, but worth checking I guess and while you're at it, reset the ecu again. If you can go to an auto store and buy a OBD-II code reader and just find out what the code was, maybe it's still in the memory.. (dunno)

When you try to start it, is it totally dead or does it turn over and try to crank?

Last edited:
I had almost the exact same problem. My alarm was going off while I drove, car was crazy! I replaced the battery cables and havent had an issue in over 2 months

well i had really bad battery cable corrosion on the connector, but i cleaned it up nice.

as for the alternator, i dont see that being the problem, beacuse i let the car run for 30 mins, if the alternator was ****** then it would have started and died within 5 mins (my other car had a alternator go mid drive and it was messed). and yea i was thinking of resetting the system again.

as for being dead, its semi dead. some things work, some dont lol. it will click when i try to turn it over, but it wont actually turn over. just makes the sound.

see the tihng that confuses me. is it wont start on its own, but if i jump it. it will start, but when i try to move it dies....thats the wierd part. luckily i work at a dealership so i got a loaner...im gonna go and try to work on it tonight

k ill try swapping the cables then. i just find it very wierd that it actually turns the car off when i try to move, unless when i move it wiggles the connection and it fails

ill take a peak tonight

lol so it was battery corrosion after all....buddy from work suggested hot water and baking soda, socked the clamps and attached...all is well

definitly a good learning expirence. thanks a ton guys, saved me a tow and a few hours of labour im sure !!! :)

Back