Ventilation leakage ...

Just out of curiosity,

Is it normal for air to flow through the vents when the controls are off. The only way I seem to prevent any air flow with the controls off is to enable recirculation.

The reason I ask is that I was driving on a freeway where a skunk had been flattened ... pheeeeeeW.

I was just wondering if this behaviour is normal, or whether I have to have something adjusted.

Cheers!

I believe it is normal for air to flow thru the vents as air is pushed into the cabin filter while you're moving anyways, i believe they dont want you to suffocate while you're driving too!

Recirculate and fresh air (or skunk odor) still works the same whether the blower is on or off. The movement of the vehicle forces or draws the fresh air in with that setting. Our's defaults to fresh air when turned off.

I have a Ford Ranger that only allows air in when the system is on. I hate it. I like the fact that air moves in with no help (power). What bugs me about my 5 is I cannot change air temperature unless the system is on. I think it will go 2 degrees, but only once.

I'll have to test that, as I think our temperature setting can be changed when the system is off. Although, of course, you don't know what the temperature is set to. I'm pretty sure mine does change more than 2 degrees, but i'll have to check.

Edit - Nevermind, 2 degrees is all mine changes too.

Last edited:
Back