v8 Rx7

maz-naked

:
2oo3 MaZdA mIaTa $HiN$En EdItIoN
I was just looking for some input on what people think about v8 conversions in a 2nd gen rx7?

I saw two of them at the autocross today. I'm sure the power is sweet, but it's just not an RX-7 anymore if you remove the rotary engine. Sure they have no torque, and many cars have more power, but the rotary is just so damn cool to drive!

I had a second gen, BTW, fun car. I miss it. Not as much as I miss my Miata, but I miss it!

I for one love RX"s BECAUSE of the rotary. There's jsut somethgin magical about it that's fascinated me forever. What other reason is there to desire an RX? If you're that into torque, then whynot jsut get a transmarostang? Promise you it'd be cheaper.

I think dropping a V8 into an old, otherwise useless RX7 with a blown engine is a great idea. Breathing new life into an old, tired car. Otherwise, I'm against it :)

and just send me that old "blown" rotary to play with. 'cause I really want one...

*ugh* I've got an RX sickness lately... possibly the fact that I could build the s*** outta a rotary at school right now if I had one to play with.

s***, they can't cost that much. Just go to a junkyard and pull a 13b out of a second gen or even a 12a. First gens are actualy fairly common in junkyards, at least down south.

yea when u do an engine swap u do the tranny to because u have to have the proper bolt up pattern

and a mustang would not be cheeper because u can get an old 7 for 1500 then 500 for the bolt up kit and then 2000 for the engine and tranny. So thats $4000 for a lighter more powerful car and it also looks better

ZoomZoomH said:
v8 rx-7's are just wrong, like baby eating wrong

Objectively, no different than any other major performance mod. To follow that logic, putting a huge single is also "wrong" because it takes away the charm of the sequential twins, or a big FMIC on an FD is also "wrong" because it alters the look of the FD and often leads to overheating issues. And how about the worthless rice body kits and silly wings? Unlike them, at least the LS1-6 should have a POSITIVE effect on performance.
The real charm of the car, IMO, is how it looks and handles. An LS1 is only marginally heavier, but properly done, will still sit well behind the front axle and low enough that it shouldn't affect f/r balance or polar moment. Ideally, if I could keep my current (mostly stock) FD and then find a rolling chassis, I'd be on the phone with these guys:
http://hinsonsupercars.com/
:)

Last edited:
luvmy7 said:
yea when u do an engine swap u do the tranny to because u have to have the proper bolt up pattern

and a mustang would not be cheeper because u can get an old 7 for 1500 then 500 for the bolt up kit and then 2000 for the engine and tranny. So thats $4000 for a lighter more powerful car and it also looks better

i've priced out all the parts to do the swap and i can guarantee you that its not nearly that cheap

Back