Using Mazdaspeed Protege's turbo, chip, & exhaust in a P5...

Finaldo

Have any of you tried this? I was told by my dealer that the engines are the same (2.0L I4, 130hp, 130ft/lb torque) before the turbo and all was added.

He even said that he'd be able to take my P5 and have it added for me. Not so sure about that, but it was nice of him to say.

The question is on the stats of that Garrett turbo... it looks like the Flyin' Miata turbo gives a lot more torque (not sure on the horsepower boost...) than the Garrett.

I'm new to modding cars -- you might even say I'm clueless. With adding a turbo that would take torque at the wheels from whatever it is stock (115ft/lb?) and increasing it to 192ft/lb (that's what the Flyin' Miata claims...) do you need to do anything with the transmission to handle all that extra power? Adding a turbo, exhaust, and a new chip is on the top of the list of things for me to mod on my car, but being as uninformed as I am, I don't want to get the wrong thing or mess up my car in the process of modding it. :)

Also, feel free to call me a newbie. :)

if your dealer will do it... DO IT. they arent supposed to... so if you do, you could have some really really hard to get items. if you decide you dont like it im sure you could sell it for some profit because they are going to be so hard to come by. and you will have a turbo under WARRANTY which is a real plus.

The turbo is small, the intercooler is tiny. you can always upgrade later if you want. you could also just up the boost on the msp turbo.

tranny should be fine for that power.

hey newbie ;)

I've got the Flyin' Miata kit in my car, so if you have any questions just PM or email me. I've been running the kit on my car for a little over seven months now, and no problems to report with the transmission, etc. A bunch of other people have been using this kit, the Spoolin kit and there are a few custom jobs - most of which have been trouble free save a few minor annoyances.

If you can miraclously obtain the Mazdaspeed turbo kit (dealers have been repeatedly told NOT to do this) just get a boost controller and turn up the boost. I don't know of any custom turbo kit (like mine) that is less powerful than the MSP's.

see if you can get a MSP ecu, then just put an aftermarket turbo on it. if you really have acess to this it could help us out a lot.

I could give him another call and see what he'll do and how much it would cost. He said he could have it done for me, but the service department said they wouldn't do it. I think I'd trust the service department more than the salesman, but they might've said no just so that I wouldn't spread that info around. :)

Getting the car up to 170hp like the Mazdaspeed Protege would at least get the car to where my VW Golf 1.8T was before it got totalled, so that might be good enough for a while...

I'd probably also have to upgrade the brakes to handle the extra speed I'd always be using...

Captain KRM P5 said:
hey newbie ;)

I've got the Flyin' Miata kit in my car, so if you have any questions just PM or email me. I've been running the kit on my car for a little over seven months now, and no problems to report with the transmission, etc. A bunch of other people have been using this kit, the Spoolin kit and there are a few custom jobs - most of which have been trouble free save a few minor annoyances.

If you can miraclously obtain the Mazdaspeed turbo kit (dealers have been repeatedly told NOT to do this) just get a boost controller and turn up the boost. I don't know of any custom turbo kit (like mine) that is less powerful than the MSP's.

I'll have to give my salesman a call tonight and see if he'll still do it. The Flyin' Miata is $3500 I think, without having it installed.. but either way, adding a turbo voids the warranty on the car right? So I don't think it matters what turbo I put on there, really... :)

well...technically if you put on mazda parts then they should fall under factory parts and shouldn't void the warranty...but check with the salesman first...if you can get the mazdaspeed stuff then you will definitely be something different

The salesman was full of s*** and was just telling you that to make a sale. You cannot get the MSP turbo parts w/o having an MSP.

KYREDP5 said:
The salesman was full of s*** and was just telling you that to make a sale. You cannot get the MSP turbo parts w/o having an MSP.

He was not telling me that to make a sale -- at the point I spoke with him about it, I had owned the car for at least 4 months... He'd really have no reason to BS me about it.

Well he did BS you anyway. Wether he was aware of it or not. 95% of the time the salesman is completely uninformed as to what they're selling (or saying for that matter). The only things you could buy off the MSP that would be of value are the Struts, Springs, Sway Bars, and exhaust (not the manifold).

KYREDP5 said:
Well he did BS you anyway. Wether he was aware of it or not. 95% of the time the salesman is completely uninformed as to what they're selling (or saying for that matter). The only things you could buy off the MSP that would be of value are the Struts, Springs, Sway Bars, and exhaust (not the manifold).

I'll let ya know what he says when I call him. :)

Latest posts

Back