Used oil filter pics...

Twisted from new.

I just did the first oil change on my '09, and the original factory filter came out just like the Fram one in the picture. No pic, but I will see what the next one looks like.

- JP.

Thanks for the info. I will also post a pic of the motorcraft I used last oil change when it come out in the next month or so just for a comparison.

(canada)

I have the K&N drop in filter and I think its ok. no noticeable power added but the sound of the intake changed a bit

Regarding the oil filter:

Is there a particular reason one would want to use non-Mazda oil filters?

I picked up my second batch of OEM filters, from the dealer, for $5.00 each. (I haven't met a parts counter person yet that's been unwilling to negotiate.) For the buck or two of added cost, over non-OEM filters, I have OEM box panels, in my file, showing part numbers, along with receipts to back any warranty challenge -- if the need should arise. Each panel has the date and mileage written on it too...

Over the 200k miles, at 3500 mile change intervals, the filter is only changed 57 times.

Regarding the cartridge vs. spin on filter:

Both of my vehicles have cartridges now. I find them to be less of a mess to change because of the center screw that releases the oil from the oil lines.

Regarding the air filter:

We bought 3400 lb cars with ~150 hp. Adding another 5 hp at the top end isn't going to matter much. What is the motivation behind the use of a K&N air filter -- something that is known to let more dirt in to the engine?

I got a drop in K&N filter that I will be removing because I just got hooked up with a full K&N cold air intake for.......FREE!

Connections = very nice to have!

I was just at the store comparing the Fram to the Motorcraft. Got the Motorcraft because its beefier, but when I got home & started to research how to do this confounded oil change (my first Mazda/Ford in some 12 years), I saw this thread.
TO the point, the Fram is actually at least 1mm TALLER than the Motorcraft, so the compressing of the filter makes sense, as it may be too tall for the opening. Anyone else notice this?

BTW, I LOVE my 5!
Teal 5MT Touring...Zoom Zoom!

Regarding the oil filter:

Is there a particular reason one would want to use non-Mazda oil filters?

I picked up my second batch of OEM filters, from the dealer, for $5.00 each. (I haven't met a parts counter person yet that's been unwilling to negotiate.) For the buck or two of added cost, over non-OEM filters, I have OEM box panels, in my file, showing part numbers, along with receipts to back any warranty challenge -- if the need should arise. Each panel has the date and mileage written on it too...

Over the 200k miles, at 3500 mile change intervals, the filter is only changed 57 times.

Regarding the cartridge vs. spin on filter:

Both of my vehicles have cartridges now. I find them to be less of a mess to change because of the center screw that releases the oil from the oil lines.

Regarding the air filter:

We bought 3400 lb cars with ~150 hp. Adding another 5 hp at the top end isn't going to matter much. What is the motivation behind the use of a K&N air filter -- something that is known to let more dirt in to the engine?

The mazda filter here in Canada is like $10 and tax. The reason I was asking about the fram was it was an oil change that was done in a hurry at the local walmart because I didn't have time to make an appointment and wait a few days and spent an hr or 2 waiting for the car.

The twisting is not only happening to the fram but oem as well from previous posts.

I posted in another post about finding motorcraft filters cheap in florida while on vacation and they were less than half the cost locally for oem quality as the 2.3 is used in Ford applications and is the same engine as you probably already know.

Filter Length.

I had the Ford filter and the Fram side by side at the store. The Fram was closer in construction to the Mazda filter (which I used), and the same length. The Ford filter was slightly shorter, and had the plastic 'swiss cheese' tube in its core which the Mazda lacks. It also seemed to have a rough texture to the filter element, and fewer pleats.

After doing the oil change, I have no problem with the cartridge. I find it as easy as any other filter to change. I had liked the Motorcraft sleeve/tube, until I found the Mazda has one attached to the filter cup for the filter to slide onto. So unless Ford had some filter integrity issues I can't see the point in the extra sleeve. As a small bonus, I think the cartridge type filters are probably a little more eco-friendly as there is less to recycle (no metal shell).

The only reason I would go with an aftermarket filter is if it would have a benefit to filtration quality. The Purolator Pur-One filters (available for the 5) have a very high rating, and I have used them in many cars over the years. That said, they are about the same price as a Mazda filter, so unless I see a problem with the OEM, I will probably stick with them. With my 1994 Protege, I was using OEM (stamped 'Made in Japan') filters UNTIL the dealer swithched to a Canadian made filter that looked like a Fram with a blue shell and Mazda painted on it. My Mazda cup style filter wrench no longer fit, the quality was not there, but the price was still $12-14 at Vancouver dealers. At that point I went to Purolator since I would at least get what I paid for.

As far as the K&N drop-in air filters, I have not put one in my 5 yet, but I have in all my previous cars (including my '94 Protege, '97 MX-6, '01 Protege, and my '88 GTX among others). I will not argue about the K&N letting more dirt into the engine, as I have not heard of that before. My 2001 Protege was used for driving instruction, and had 300 000km on the K&N filter with no issues with the motor or the filter itself. I like the re-usable aspect, but I do not feel there is any performance gained. They pay for themselves within a few years, and I never need to keep a spare on hand (although I tend to keep the last used paper filter in the K&N box in case I sell the car ;) ).

- JP.

Just as an update I did the oil change today on the 5 and the motorcraft filter that was used was twisted as well. The oil itself proably could have lasted another 5000 kms as the color wasn't much different than the new stuff. Will post pics tomorrow when I get a chance of the motorcraft filter.

Latest posts

Back