USB stick not working

Djbradle

:
2014 Mazda6 Blue Reflex I-Touring
So I tried to add some music onto a 64 gb adata stick and plugged it into the armrest box usb connector. I turned the command knob to usb but I get nothing on the screen whether plugging it in, reseating it, etc. Am I missing something? I did not bother yet to check the manual.

Is the data stick you are using powered by USB or external power? Did you try putting some other flash disk? Check with something else to make sure it's not the data stick issue.

It's a usb stick that uses the car's power. The usb jack does supply power as I;ve used it to power my iPhone but it does nothing with a formatted usb dongle . . .hmmmm.

Your stick is messed up then. They usually get corrupted very easily. Speaking out of experience.

Funny that it is as it works fine on my comp. Formats, holds data, etc. I'm thinking the usb connection to the dash at this point . . . .

Get it checked by Mazda. Do you only have music in it or other data as well? If you have other files which are not readable by the Mazda infortainment system, it might not register your usb stick, this is my general understanding as an IT guy. :p

Try a brand name like kingston. I fooled around with the cheap ones and there are compatibility issues with some devices.
Memory has long been a problem with devices and computers. Just becouse it fits does not mean it will work, even if the specs says it's fine.
Brand names have less problems than the cheap stuff.

Get it checked by Mazda. Do you only have music in it or other data as well? If you have other files which are not readable by the Mazda infortainment system, it might not register your usb stick, this is my general understanding as an IT guy. :p

Just mp3's in there. Compatibility is something I did consider but as there is no response from the infotainment system I wonder. With any other components I would expect a crash, errors in booting, error reporting etc.(based on my comp builds in the past) but I don't see that here. Off to the dealer then. Thanks guys.

I think the dealer told me that anything over 32 gb wouldnt work, but I have an 8 GB and have been having problems with that as well.

HI Had the same issue.. wasnt gonna give in so I played around a bit. Put the stick in your comp and go to the devices list. Right click the stick and choose Properties and see how it is formatted. IT might be NTFS as mine was. Right click again and choose "Format" choose the option "FAT 32" and reformat the stick. Thats what got mine working. I also have two separate hard drives I have tried.. the problem is thta the car usb jack does not provide enough power to drive them. (so that might be also with your stick tho I dont see why if its a normal stick.) One of the drives has Two USB jacks for extra power which I plug into the 12v socket (with a USB adapter) and it works fine AND its 140 Gigs. If you cant format it in FAT 323 Verbatim on its web site has a free fat 32 forrmat tool for download. I used that . Another stick I had (an older one) was formatted with just FAT. It also worked fine.

That could work too and it totally makes sense to me that formatting might be off. But another issue could be the inadequate power supplied for the car USB port.

Back