US Diesel's big splash introduction

I made another inquiry over the weekend, to Mazda NA, about when the diesel is coming, and whether I should buy something else. Their answer was less encouraging (more vague) than last time. For what its worth.

All I need to do to ensure the diesel gets released is buy a 2.5 gas.
Not good

Time for a new thread...?

“US Diesel’s big splat introduction”

Fair enough..but i still say patience (lots of it evidently) will eventually be rewarded handsomely. And again big splash and quick/timely are not synonyms;). So naysay, hate, its stupid, pointless, hassle bs all you want it ain't over till its over bitches! Gives me more reason to think it comes in hot with a cherry on top when it does..

I made another inquiry over the weekend, to Mazda NA, about when the diesel is coming, and whether I should buy something else. Their answer was less encouraging (more vague) than last time. For what its worth.

All I need to do to ensure the diesel gets released is buy a 2.5 gas.

My dealer basically said not to even think about it. Not expected in 2018. They said this is the same thing that happened with the Mazda 6 diesel.

My dealer basically said not to even think about it. Not expected in 2018. They said this is the same thing that happened with the Mazda 6 diesel.

The quotes are very similar to what they were saying publicly about the Mazda 6 diesel when it was delayed. Does anybody have any record or recollection of what they said when the 6 diesel was actually cancelled? Did they put out a release? Or just admit it to a journalist?

Here's what they said to my most recent inquiry?

While there is no specific release date at this time I can assure you that Mazda remains committed to bringing diesel to the United States. We want to make sure the diesel's performance is up to the standards which are expected when driving any Mazda vehicle. Once we are satisfied that we can deliver the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance, and of course meet all emissions requirements, we will bring our SKYACTIV diesel engine to this market.

Have a great rest of your day!

Compared to November:
I appreciate your interest in Mazda and would love to have you as part of the family.

I’m so glad that you asked about the Mazda CX-5 Diesel and would be happy to clarify.

I was able to research your question and confirmed, Mazda remains committed to bringing a SKYACTIV-D diesel engine to the North American market in the Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV, as we announced at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show. We continue to work with EPA and CARB on final certification, and will have further information about on-sale dates as soon as certification is complete.

I am so sorry to hear that you have received no updates from our marketing group after signing up on our web site, I will make sure your comments are forwarded to our marketing and product planning team for further review. I will let you know if they provide any response to me directly.

I am also hoping there will be more information at the press conference at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show today at 10:30 AM, stay tuned!

Thank you for taking the time to contact us today. I appreciate your interest in Mazda and hope you are driving your new Mazda CX-5 Diesel soon!

Sincerely,
Ann

Fair enough..but i still say patience (lots of it evidently) will eventually be rewarded handsomely. And again big splash and quick/timely are not synonyms;). So naysay, hate, its stupid, pointless, hassle bs all you want it ain't over till its over bitches! Gives me more reason to think it comes in hot with a cherry on top when it does..

Me thinks too much Who Hit John.

I get that, but on the flip side no-one cares apparently, because the 2.5l is identical and Mazda still games the epa deal.

Fair points.

We got 0-100km/h in 8.7 seconds for the diesel bearing in mind it's 129KW, 420NM (173HP, 310FT/LB) and weighing 1744kg (3845LB) which is the heaviest CX-5 version. It is faster than the 2.0L but line ball with the 2.5L.

Overtaking however on the freeway the diesel is a bit ahead of both the 2.0 & 2.5 because of extra torque and where the engine is sitting rev wise to utilise this.

Last edited:
Due to the VW Dieselgate and due to the initial Mazda diesel issues from a few years ago (failed US release), there probably will not be a 2018 CX5 diesel.

Most car mags say that US vehicle diesels are dead. Sadly, Mazda got behind the ball and with everything that happened, they are going to see diesel CX-5's and Mazda6's, fail in the USA.

Its obviously not coming.

There's been further bad news this morning for European diesel car drivers with cities promising to ban diesel cars, sales of diesels have dropped in Europe to around 35% now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-cities-to-ban-diesel-cars-from-their-centres

Yeah, I think Mazda will just count its losses with the US diesel and give up on it. There is no way people are going to pay more $$ for a diesel CUV in the USA today. Not going to happen. That train has left the station, long ago.

Looks like new 2019 Hyundai santa fe is coming with diesel engine , 2.2l 200hp and 320tq, so companies not giving up yet on diesel

Most car mags say that US vehicle diesels are dead.

There's Chevy/GMC, Ford, RAM, BMW, Jaguar Land Rover all who have new gotten diesel vehicles approved recently, and Jeep, Hyundai, and Kia who are working to bring new diesels to market this year. The exit of VW and Merc has shrunk the market, but it's not dead yet.

There is no way people are going to pay more $$ for a diesel CUV in the USA today. Not going to happen. That train has left the station, long ago.

And yet we're posting in a 98-page long anticipation thread.

Last edited:
I honestly think their move to go premium/upmarket is what is causing their cars to weigh more and negatively affect performance. I think they are obsessed with MPG because they are giving the 2018 CX-5 cylinder deactivation even if the gains are minimal. In my mind, they know going upmarket is costing them performance and fuel efficiency. I see cylinder deactivation as just one way to mitigate the lost of fuel efficiency. The push for a diesel CX-5 is another MPG influenced decision I think. They are obsessed with getting the best MPG out of their whole lineup and rightfully so. Being a very small company, they need to be on top of the MPG game so they can continue selling their cars worldwide even with ever stricter emission requirements.

As far as not having a new MS3. I think they didn't have a turbo SkyActiv engine when the Gen3 Mazda3s rolled out and they just couldn't get the new North American CEO to sign off on it. He said it was juvenile; the previous generation MS3s. I don't disagree with him on the juvenile part and I daily drive one. I take it as him saying, if he was to sign off on the next MS3, it should be a much much much more refined car.

Sidenote: Mercedes Benz is being accused of using a cheat device to pass emissions. I wonder if that is also affecting the certification of the CX-5.
If you watch Dirty Money at Netflix, Benz and BMW is also accused of such. However it doesn't matter anymore in the US of A because Benz pulled out their diesel in US.

Back