US Diesel's big splash introduction

It's funny how this forum's sentiment is exactly the opposite from the Subaru Forester forum, where many have been vying for the diesel to be brought from Europe to the US.

For me it is strange to hear people that paid extra for the GT trim and fully load it to suddenly pinch their pennies when it comes to significantly better torque and drivability. Yes, it is not clear how economical it would be, but there was nothing economical in a fully loaded vehicle either ... you got it because you wanted it for its benefits and the same is for the diesel, only that for the diesel it might actually be more economical for some owners.

Diesel is somewhat risky, I agree and I can't tell if it will succeed. The American public buys a lot of turds and things that don't make any sense to me. In contrast, the European car market makes much more sense to me and I'd love to get some of the things they have there.
Sure it matters how many dealers you have. My sister skipped on a Mazda because there was only a single dealership in their area which they did not like. Even here, I am not very happy with the Mazda dealership I am using now and the other 2 are farther away, especially if I need to get there during commute hours.

I think it's required to place the 2.2D as the power + fuel-economy option for the CX-5 as a way to justify the additional up-front cost. I am sure the 2.2D is awesome to drive. I am sure also that it can actually get amazing MPG.

Agree with you on this. I would consider a CX-5 Diesel with Signature option (who knows if they will offer this?) as our next car.

Agree with you on this. I would consider a CX-5 Diesel with Signature option (who knows if they will offer this?) as our next car.

Maybe as a future update before all new version is released

I've driven a RAV4 V6 and I own a 175 diesel and I can tell you they both perform in a similar way. Driving style is slightly different in that the V6 likes to be revved but the diesel likes to labour. All the torque comes really low down between 1500 and 3000 rpm.

I've driven a RAV4 V6 and I own a 175 diesel and I can tell you they both perform in a similar way. Driving style is slightly different in that the V6 likes to be revved but the diesel likes to labour. All the torque comes really low down between 1500 and 3000 rpm.
Diesels don't need revving as you said all the torque down low is what gets them moving

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

By the way, the order books for the diesel are open. (nervous)
I can order one today and expect delivery in late October or early November. Please contact me via offline if you want to discuss pricing. I would assume that this applies to dealers nationwide. But, no other national announcement on this that I can see, so maybe it's dealer specific?

The dealer we almost purchased a CX-9 from (who still calls me) told me a week or so ago that they have no word on availability yet. Regardless, there's no way I'm going to place any order in advance. After all the talk in recent years, prove to me that you're actually going to bring it here by actually bringing it here. If it arrives with the specs we expect at the price we expect, I'll buy it.

Mazda dealer service centres/departments will get the proper training to deal with this engine. We've had this diesel engine for going on 5 years across 3 different models and have not heard or read anything about dealers service departments having any issues on a major scale performing maintenance etc.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Well, that is good news. I do think if they bring the diesel to the USA, they will make sure things go right, as Mazda can't afford a complete bomb. That is why I think the OP might be on to something regarding warranties and such.

Why Mazda CX-5 diesel: conversation starts @ 46:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfl80m07hG0

Just say in'...! I think any TDI owner will be lured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely would rather have the diesel, but couldn't wait for it unfortunately. I had a 2005 VW Passat TDI and loved it. Bought it for $23000, put 110,000 miles on it in 3 years, and sold it for $15,000. A guy actually flew one way from Denver to Texas to get it. He called me a few years after that about an electrical issue he was having and he had over 200,000 on it at that time and said it ran perfectly. Best vehicle I've ever had for highway cruising.

Well, that is good news. I do think if they bring the diesel to the USA, they will make sure things go right, as Mazda can't afford a complete bomb. That is why I think the OP might be on to something regarding warranties and such.
I am sure Mazda has done all the background work

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with the engine. It's very simple in terms of it lacks an ignition system, it needs an oil and filter change and a periodic fuel filter. If it has an Achilles heel, it has to be modified to control particulate emissions. The European version does it be post injection regeneration but yours will use Adblue dosing.

It's a cracking engine and there is no need to be nervous about it.

There's nothing wrong with the engine. It's very simple in terms of it lacks an ignition system, it needs an oil and filter change and a periodic fuel filter. If it has an Achilles heel, it has to be modified to control particulate emissions. The European version does it be post injection regeneration but yours will use Adblue dosing.

It's a cracking engine and there is no need to be nervous about it.

If I am not mistaken, the DPF prefers longer distances traveled so it can warm up and function properly. So this diesel engine is more suited to longer distances travels rather than short/quick daily commutes (uhm)

If I am not mistaken, the DPF prefers longer distances traveled so it can warm up and function properly. So this diesel engine is more suited to longer distances travels rather than short/quick daily commutes (uhm)
Mine regenerates about every 100 miles. It will only regenerate when the engine is right up to normal temperature as the regeneration is the burning off of the particulate matter in the exhaust filter. It takes about 20 minutes typically so if the engine is switched off before it is complete, it will start again somewhere along the full process. In that respect, you need perhaps 15 minutes to warm it up then 20 minutes to regenerate- 30-40 minutes from cold or 20 minutes from hot. If that isn't within the operating parameters of the user then there could be a case of "unsuitability". You're diesel will be different in that it doesn't use regeneration to purge the filter, it drip feeds animal urine into the exhaust which clears the particulate matter. Of course it could be that the US version will use a combination of these methods in which case, short trips won't be good for you either. Diesels are extremely thermally efficient and most of the heat generated in combustion goes out through the exhaust so they take ages to warm up. To help speed up warm up the new CX-5 diesel has a radiator shutter in the lower air intake. That entire big gaping grille is a phoney and just for styling. The radiator sits behind the lower intake. Another snag with a long warm up time is the cabin heater doesn't warm up quickly either. For that reason all the diesels have a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) heater that sits in the intake of the heater. It provides electric heat to bolster the regular fluid heater. It doesn't provide much heat but it takes the chill off. I can show you PDFs of these features if you are interested.

Thanks for the explanation Anchorman.

So USA potential owners should take note of what has been said by Anchorman re DPF etc.

Mine regenerates about every 100 miles. It will only regenerate when the engine is right up to normal temperature as the regeneration is the burning off of the particulate matter in the exhaust filter. It takes about 20 minutes typically so if the engine is switched off before it is complete, it will start again somewhere along the full process. In that respect, you need perhaps 15 minutes to warm it up then 20 minutes to regenerate- 30-40 minutes from cold or 20 minutes from hot. If that isn't within the operating parameters of the user then there could be a case of "unsuitability". You're diesel will be different in that it doesn't use regeneration to purge the filter, it drip feeds animal urine into the exhaust which clears the particulate matter. Of course it could be that the US version will use a combination of these methods in which case, short trips won't be good for you either. Diesels are extremely thermally efficient and most of the heat generated in combustion goes out through the exhaust so they take ages to warm up. To help speed up warm up the new CX-5 diesel has a radiator shutter in the lower air intake. That entire big gaping grille is a phoney and just for styling. The radiator sits behind the lower intake. Another snag with a long warm up time is the cabin heater doesn't warm up quickly either. For that reason all the diesels have a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) heater that sits in the intake of the heater. It provides electric heat to bolster the regular fluid heater. It doesn't provide much heat but it takes the chill off. I can show you PDFs of these features if you are interested.

My understanding is that the adblue is required primarily to address NO2 emissions, which are set at lower limits in the US than elsewhere.

The DPF is still required to filter particulates out and there will still be a regen process, same as any engine that uses a DPF.

My understanding is that the adblue is required primarily to address NO2 emissions, which are set at lower limits in the US than elsewhere.

The DPF is still required to filter particulates out and there will still be a regen process, same as any engine that uses a DPF.

Yes you may well be right - the US system hasn't popped up in the workshop manual yet. So in that case, diesels are probably not a good idea for the retired couple that only pop down to the store. Most "normal" users won't be effected by a blocked DPF but for those that do, the dealer can force a regen. I can show you how to do this but only on an as needed basis. It involves the shorting of the test point which then sends the engine into an unattended cycling process of revving the engine at various speeds. What will effect everybody to a greater or lesser degree is the dilution of the engine oil. The post injection method sprays neat diesel into the exhaust which acts like an afterburner on a jet. The DPF is superheated and man you can smell hot metal and rubber when it does it. Some of the diesel gets past the pistons and into the sump. There is a third mark on the dipstick to indicate to indicate the limit of dilution but the engine also measures viscosity and may mandate an early oil change. This business of you US guys going off with your favourite brand of oil is really risky unless you stick rigidly to the recommendation for 0W/30 C3 oil. C3 means it is low ash content which caters for the opposite problem - oil passing the pistons to the upper cylinder which of course feeds the DPF with particulate.

You can see there is some commitment in running a diesel engined CX-5. The up side is this tremendous torque output which really provides an interesting driving experience. The fuel consumption is good providing you don't grow horns - you can really piss off the big bore slammed to the floor Hondas but at a cost. The regen also lowers the average fuel consumption but I can easily get 60 mpg on a highway trip. That's about 50 mpg on a US gallon.

Yes, we'll have both DPF and DEF for SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel in the US!

It may be for a small subset of users here in North America but raising the tow rating on the diesel CX-5 would be an extremely positive note on the spec sheet compared to competitors. A tow rating of 3000-3500 lbs (1361-1588 KG) opens up a lot of possibilities. Make it clear one needs electric brakes as well on the trailer.

So in that case, diesels are probably not a good idea for the retired couple that only pop down to the store.
Exactly. Unfortunately there're many senior citizens in the US are getting CX-5's.

Most "normal" users won't be effected by a blocked DPF but for those that do, the dealer can force a regen.
People if they read these procedures like I did, (and thanks for many detailed documents on SA-D) they would definitely have a second thought of getting a SkyActiv-D diesel, such as this Compulsory DPF regeneration in the long mode: (PM = particulate matter)
1. Idle speed is maintained at 1,750 rpm for approx. 57 min to eliminate PM.
2. The DPF is cooled by inhibiting the post injection for approx. 3 min with the idling engine speed fixed at 1,750 rpm.
3. Idle speed is decreased to the normal idle speed and compulsory DPF regeneration is completed.

Some of the diesel gets past the pistons and into the sump. There is a third mark on the dipstick to indicate to indicate the limit of dilution but the engine also measures viscosity and may mandate an early oil change.
So no matter how much Mazda has done to prevent the oil dilution (raising) issue, it potential still can happen. That's why the additional "X" mark on the oil dipstick. Unfortunately most US car owners aren't getting used to use "Flexible" oil change interval with oil life monitor, I can see this's going to be a challenge to overcome on oil change practice for diesel owners and Mazda dealers as most of them use fixed OCI!

This business of you US guys going off with your favourite brand of oil is really risky unless you stick rigidly to the recommendation for 0W/30 C3 oil. C3 means it is low ash content which caters for the opposite problem - oil passing the pistons to the upper cylinder which of course feeds the DPF with particulate.
This right here will be an impossible task for Mazda North American Operations who can mandate a 0W-30 C3 diesel oil as the only oil Mazda diesel owner's can use, because they can't!

You can see there is some commitment in running a diesel engined CX-5. The up side is this tremendous torque output which really provides an interesting driving experience. The fuel consumption is good providing you don't grow horns - you can really piss off the big bore slammed to the floor Hondas but at a cost. The regen also lowers the average fuel consumption
Yes, people need to have commitment to enjoy a Mazda CX-5 diesel, especially in the US!

It's not exactly plain sailing I admit but it's not so unpalatable to European owners - diesels account for the majority of vehicles. You are right, nobody can make you choose your oil but think of it like having to put diesel in your tank instead of gas, it's a necessary thing to use the right stuff and you will pay for not doing so.

I'm currently locked in an email battle with Mazda because we don't get a choice. I like the diesel for how it performs but diesel engines are being demonised here and the big cities are set to charge for entry by number plate recognition. From next year it will cost about $15 a day to enter London. Despite this, Mazda offer all but the basic 2WD manual with a gasoline engine. All the autos and AWDs are diesel only.

I would put a deposit on a 2.5G AWD auto today but it is not an option.

Back