US Diesel's big splash introduction

So how does it feel? I know by the numbers the gas burner is a touch faster, but what's the perception?

How does the car feel by comparison with the gas engine? I haven't driven a gas engined one for a while and that was a rental in the USA so don't know what condition it was in. The big thing with the diesel is the torque low down so if you drive it hard you get a real push into the back of the seat. Overtaking is easy as long as you keep an eye on the revs. That's when I sometimes use manual to force an up shift. The nearest thing I've driven with the same pulling power is a RAV with a V6 in it.

How does the car feel by comparison with the gas engine? I haven't driven a gas engined one for a while and that was a rental in the USA so don't know what condition it was in. The big thing with the diesel is the torque low down so if you drive it hard you get a real push into the back of the seat. Overtaking is easy as long as you keep an eye on the revs. That's when I sometimes use manual to force an up shift. The nearest thing I've driven with the same pulling power is a RAV with a V6 in it.

That v6 rav is a helluva lot faster than any cx5. So what you're telling me is the torque makes it feel very fast for what it actually is. I can appreciate that. F250 turbo diesel feels strong even though it's slow. Similar I guess

That v6 rav is a helluva lot faster than any cx5. So what you're telling me is the torque makes it feel very fast for what it actually is. I can appreciate that. F250 turbo diesel feels strong even though it's slow. Similar I guess
All I care about is how it feels. I'm not racing anybody. Perception is everything. If it makes me happy, I'm happy - by definition.

The 2.5 gas drivetrain in the 2017 felt relatively gutless compared to my old 225 HP Acura sedan that weighs about the same, even though I was probably accelerating at about the same rate as I generally do in the Acura.

The problem with the Honest John numbers is that the RAV4 and CRV are right there with the CX-5. That would imply minimal, if any, improvement, if those are the same versions of the vehicles we had here.

The fuelly numbers on diesel are all over the map, ranging from no change, to low 30's, roughly CR-V territory.

What you have to remember is the cx-5 has more torque and power than both, so to get the same MPG says a lot.

I don't think anyone with a 2.5 petrol will find the diesel lacking, performance wise I never have.

The problem with the Honest John numbers is that the RAV4 and CRV are right there with the CX-5. That would imply minimal, if any, improvement, if those are the same versions of the vehicles we had here.

The fuelly numbers on diesel are all over the map, ranging from no change, to low 30's, roughly CR-V territory.

Last edited:
Are people here calling it the "Rouge" on purpose as a dig, or is just a really common typo?

For me, it is a joke that no one seems to get except you, so thanks! :)

From C&D here are the raw data at 70 MPH

CX-5:70 db
Rouge (ie. Rogue):70 db
Rav4: 70 db
Forester:70 db
CR-V: 71 db

See the trend? CX-5 is of course the loudest of the bunch. And yes, I am joking for those people that have complained that the CX-5 is the loudest most un-refined car.

That v6 rav is a helluva lot faster than any cx5.

That's a given since it's got a V6 but over here the chassis couldn't handle the extra grunt.

Now the CX-5 chassis has more than enough to handle the diesel motor, probably also enough to handle the 2.5L T should they decide to drop that in

Rav4 is a total pos to drive no matter how good the engine is/was..selling it w/both hands

For me, it is a joke that no one seems to get except you, so thanks! :)

From C&D here are the raw data at 70 MPH

CX-5:70 db
Rouge (ie. Rogue):70 db
Rav4: 70 db
Forester:70 db
CR-V: 71 db

See the trend? CX-5 is of course the loudest of the bunch. And yes, I am joking for those people that have complained that the CX-5 is the loudest most un-refined car.

70 dB is loud for a vehicle. 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hardtop is 70 dB at 70 MPH (see attached). 2017 CX5 dropped to 65 decibels in Car & Driver testing.

The Bel (and its baby brother the deciBel) was invented because our hearing is logarithmic in nature. A sound level difference of one Bel (10dB) represents a difference which we perceive as roughly twice as loud. You could therefore say that every dB represents a 10% increase in 'loudness'.
So, going from 70 to 65 dB is huge.

Attachments

• 2016-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-test-review-car-and-driverjeepwranglerunlimitedhardtop75th2016.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 137
Specs on the RAV4 V6 were 269 hp @ 6200 RPM and 246 lb-ft of torque at 4700 RPM, and it's curb weight was about 100 lbs. less than a CX-5 diesel, so yes of course it's a lot faster.

But not as fun to drive!

Last edited:
70 dB is loud for a vehicle. 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hardtop is 70 dB at 70 MPH (see attached). 2017 CX5 dropped to 65 decibels in Car & Driver testing.

The Bel (and its baby brother the deciBel) was invented because our hearing is logarithmic in nature. A sound level difference of one Bel (10dB) represents a difference which we perceive as roughly twice as loud. You could therefore say that every dB represents a 10% increase in 'loudness'.
So, going from 70 to 65 dB is huge.

Yes, but it is all relative. You will find most all the cars tested by Car and driver fall close to 70 db. I pulled those numbers from the Car and Driver test sheets. 65-67 db for the 2017 CX-5 is a big improvement in the class. A Lexus is 67 db.

Looking at more C&D reports, most Accords range from 69-71 db and a Nissan Maxima is close also at 70. Very few cars drop below 69 db.

Last edited:
Rav4 is a total pos to drive no matter how good the engine is/was..selling it w/both hands

You are exaggerating. I own both.

V6 RAV4 is by no means a POS to drive. (I have the Sport model with 18" wheels and 235mm tires)

It will easily out corner my CX-5. It just doesn't provide much feedback while doing it.
In the RAV4, no matter how sharp you turn, you don't really feel anything other than the G force. The tires just grip with zero drama.
No tire squeal, zero under-steer, and the CUV just goes around the corner faster than it should.
Unlike the CX-5, braking and accelerating in the RAV4 have no impact on the line it takes through the corner.

Unlike the CX-5, it's not fun to drive the RAV4 on mountain roads, but it confidently gets the job done.

Looking at a Land Cruiser with this beast of a V8 diesel. The CX-5 would go with this in......

IMG_0434.jpg

Yes, but it is all relative. You will find most all the cars tested by Car and driver fall close to 70 db. I pulled those numbers from the Car and Driver test sheets. 65-67 db for the 2017 CX-5 is a big improvement in the class. A Lexus is 67 db.

Looking at more C&D reports, most Accords range from 69-71 db and a Nissan Maxima is close also at 70. Very few cars drop below 69 db.

True, unfortunately a lot of cars are close to 70. I found a few cars that were as quiet or even quieter than the CX5.

'17 Mercedes E400 Wagon 67 dB
'17 Volvo V90 Wagon 68 dB
'18 Acura TLX 67 dB
'17 Lexus RX350 67 dB
'18 Audi S5 65 dB
'17 Audi A4 Allroad 66 dB
'17 GMC Acadia 67 dB
'17 BMW 540i 64 dB
'17 Cadillac CTS 66 dB
'17 Mercedes S550 66 dB
'17 Mercedes Maybach S550 63 dB

'17 Mazda 3 72 dB(wow)