US Diesel's big splash introduction

It doesn't look like North America will get the manual transmission diesel. What are the details on the automatic? Is it a 3rd party unit also used by other manufacturers? Please don't tell me it is a CVT.

2800 or so premium on diesel will hurt sales in USA. Economy wise it will take 15 years to pay back. Only good for folks living out of cities in areas with climbs etc.
Equinox has 1650 dollars premium. 2800 is steep.

In the uk I believe its the same as the US version, but we don't get sport mode.

It doesn't look like North America will get the manual transmission diesel. What are the details on the automatic? Is it a 3rd party unit also used by other manufacturers? Please don't tell me it is a CVT.

Noo, it's the same good old 6 speed auto but as xt man says, no sport mode. It's tuned to change up at 2000rpm to get the best torque and sport mode would be wasted.

We don't get manual diesel's here either. Stock 6 speed auto from petrol model is used

Noo, it's the same good old 6 speed auto but as xt man says, no sport mode. It's tuned to change up at 2000rpm to get the best torque and sport mode would be wasted.

If it is indeed the very same auto transmission its reassuring to know it can withstand all that torque...and easy work for the gas models :)

If it is indeed the very same auto transmission its reassuring to know it can withstand all that torque...and easy work for the gas models :)
Yeah no sports mode. However, I think the reason why there's no sports mode is because its twin turbo.
29f2b79930c40f0c3dc1ea51193cbc24.jpg

2800 or so premium on diesel will hurt sales in USA. Economy wise it will take 15 years to pay back. Only good for folks living out of cities in areas with climbs etc.

Did I miss something on the price? I haven't seen anything on it from Mazda.

But lots of people change cars every year or three. The residual re-sale value should be proportionately higher, thus you get some of the extra back.

But lots of people change cars every year or three. The residual re-sale value should be proportionately higher, thus you get some of the extra back.

Maybe, maybe not. Might be a lot higher. Might be actually less. Depends on how hot they are on the lot.

Thats it. Not much point revving above 3000rpm. If I’m overtaking over a longer stretch, I use the manual gear change to force upshifts as flooring the accelerator holds the lower gear but its very unnerving when you lose all the acceleration. Its something that will take some getting used to if you have never driven a diesel. You’ll know exactly what I mean when you get to drive one.

Thats it. Not much point revving above 3000rpm. If I’m overtaking over a longer stretch, I use the manual gear change to force upshifts as flooring the accelerator holds the lower gear but its very unnerving when you lose all the acceleration. Its something that will take some getting used to if you have never driven a diesel. You’ll know exactly what I mean when you get to drive one.

I have driven a diesel almost all my life since the introduction of Isuzu Gemini 1980s in this part of the globe. Diesel that time only costs $0.10 per liter

It should pull like a train when needed and by the time you reach 3000rpm, you've already passed what ever it is you are passing with relative ease

Latest posts

Back