US Diesel's big splash introduction

Won't make any difference. Usually the States don't care the size or the power rating of the engine and the tax and insurance are calculated based on general vehicle category and model.

Here in the UK, a hike in power from a third party raises all sorts of insurance flags; non standard, increased power = driver more likely to crash and therefore cause a payout. Could mean a 100% hike in insurance premium.

Here in the UK, a hike in power from a third party raises all sorts of insurance flags; non standard, increased power = driver more likely to crash and therefore cause a payout. Could mean a 100% hike in insurance premium.
Over here, when insuring a vehicle, they always ask about any modifications done to it be it accessories or after market stuff.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Was talking to the dealer yesterday about the CX-5 diesel and they mentioned the promise of the diesel 6 that never materialized. However, they said this time, the diesel CX-5 is starting to show up in their future orders sheets and thus, they think this is real and might hit by the fall.

Also asked him about carplay and they said they have heard nothing.

Exactly. It's called giving customers options. Multiple transmission options(CVT/10 speed/6 speed manual), multiple engine choices(1.5T/2.0T/2.4 NA).

There's an inverse relationship between the number of drivetrain choices a manufacturer offers and reliability. With all the things that are stuffed into cars these days manufacturing automobiles is largely about managing complexity, more complexity less reliability. Honda has been bitten by the "lets change all the variables at once" bug before and their reputation for reliability has taken a hit.

Just remember that in an automatic transmission for every two forward speeds there has to be another planetary gear set, that's six gears, shafts and bearing sets in each planetary set, more weight more space taken up and more stuff to break. CVT's, while they've had their materials problems early on, are much much simpler devices.

Last edited:
Was talking to the dealer yesterday about the CX-5 diesel and they mentioned the promise of the diesel 6 that never materialized. However, they said this time, the diesel CX-5 is starting to show up in their future orders sheets and thus, they think this is real and might hit by the fall.

My dealer in Canada also is optimistic about receiving CX-5 diesels this fall. They also said that Apple Carplay and Android Auto is scheduled to be added.

I use Android Auto on all my longer drives. The Nav feature is great with "real time" alerts to traffic problems. I can also play my own music and voice activate many functions. Anyone else out there that uses Android Auto?

They also said that Apple Carplay and Android Auto is scheduled to be added.

False. Nothing is scheduled regarding CarPlay/Android Auto. If a dealer is telling you it is coming soon, they're trying to sell you a vehicle.

I use Android Auto on all my longer drives. The Nav feature is great with "real time" alerts to traffic problems. I can also play my own music and voice activate many functions. Anyone else out there that uses Android Auto?

I use CarPlay all the time, and yes the 'real time' alerts to traffic problems is by far it's biggest feature IMO.

Last edited:

Carplay/Auto is down the list in their priorities

Carplay/Auto is down the list in their priorities

I think you might be right. The diesel I think is coming, which is good news. We purchased a Mazda 3 for my son and I plugging the dealer about future cars and letting him know I wanted the CX-5 diesel. He made no claim on carplay but just said he has not heard anything. Also, he did say the new CX-5 is selling very well. Most are buying the top end with the premium package.

I think you might be right. The diesel I think is coming, which is good news. We purchased a Mazda 3 for my son and I plugging the dealer about future cars and letting him know I wanted the CX-5 diesel. He made no claim on carplay but just said he has not heard anything. Also, he did say the new CX-5 is selling very well. Most are buying the top end with the premium package.

Over here they under estimated the number of GTs and Akeras being sold. They had more stock of the bottom models than the top ones

Plenty of GTs in my area, but damn few of them have the Premium package. That kind of baffles me, especially here in snow country where a lot of buyers will want the heated steering wheel and windshield wiper de-icer. And the HUD is a pretty compelling feature too.

Plenty of GTs in my area, but damn few of them have the Premium package. That kind of baffles me, especially here in snow country where a lot of buyers will want the heated steering wheel and windshield wiper de-icer. And the HUD is a pretty compelling feature too.

I am in the dirty south where there really is no winter and they are selling the premium package with heated seats and steering wheel! People will buy what what people will buy!

Guess people don't want to pay extra for those

We typically get winters and i still ain't payin 2k for a heated wheel and de-icers which should both be std on GT or in a stand alone cold weather option. Short of that happening..GT w/remote start..done but that's just me.

Last edited:
Guess people don't want to pay extra for those

It seems to be the opposite. The GTs with the Premium package were the first to disappear from local inventory. Now they are rare.

It reminds me of when I was shopping for a CX-9. They sold out of the 2016 Signature trim fast. The demand was a lot more than Mazda expected. For 2017, they're making more of them and my dealer told me that about half of his CX-9 sales were the Signature. Another strange thing with the CX-9 was that Soul Red was hard to find, especially in the GT.

It seems to be the opposite. The GTs with the Premium package were the first to disappear from local inventory. Now they are rare.

It reminds me of when I was shopping for a CX-9. They sold out of the 2016 Signature trim fast. The demand was a lot more than Mazda expected. For 2017, they're making more of them and my dealer told me that about half of his CX-9 sales were the Signature. Another strange thing with the CX-9 was that Soul Red was hard to find, especially in the GT.

Ok... so because people are now willing to pay for the premium package, there is little incentive for Mazda USA HQ to include this as standard equipment. Hmmm (uhm)

Dropped into a dealership and spoke with finance manager. He had no update from Mazda as to when the diesel will be available to order. His understanding is that it would be a 2018 model.

Wish list: Apple CarPlay, ventilated seats. Wife's wish: panoramic roof. (The diesel should easily compensate for the added weight, but it could impact handling, so probably won't happen. Maybe they'll add it to the CX-8. Lots of reasons against it; http://www.motoringbox.com/?p=29574.)

You might get it sometime between Oct-Dec this year in order to make it a 2018 model

I think it would be silly to debut it as a 2017 considering we're lucky if it's out in Q4.
2018 has a better ring to it. :) (now lets hope it's closer to October than December)

I think it would be silly to debut it as a 2017 considering we're lucky if it's out in Q4.
2018 has a better ring to it. :) (now lets hope it's closer to October than December)

Over here we sometimes get models labelled the following year but in most cases in the majority of the year they carry that years date regardless if it was released in May or October

Back