URGENT help please!

HotPr5

I just replaced a bad alternator belt and now the car won't start. It cranks but that's all. Any ideas? Help please! I'm trying to troubleshoot it as I type.

HotPr5 said:
I just replaced a bad alternator belt and now the car won't start. It cranks but that's all. Any ideas? Help please! I'm trying to troubleshoot it as I type.

Did you unplug any electrical connectors? If so did you ensure that they were all plugged back in?

maybe the battery is drained down, go have it tested/recharged....If that's not it, you need to get your alternator checked/replaced. Whatever you do...Don't buy re-manufactured, spend the $$ and get a new part.

If your belt was bad, the car would have put stress on the alt and battery!

Also, an AAA card is well worth it. I had a car that was terrible for alt problems, and in towing costs, my AAA card was paid off in 1 month!

Alright this is exactly what happened:

I forgot to replug one electrical connector to the alternator.

I started the car, engine started then instantly died.

I realized "s*** forgot to replug this"

Repluged the connector, I had someone start the car this time while I looked at the belts.

Engine turns, belts move, but car doesnt start.

Even cranking for 5 seconds.

s*** I'm pretty sure the belt tension is okay.

Would the car start if the tension is too tight? Did I just fry my alternator?

Dead battery would make a clicking noise while trying to crank. The car doesnt click, it cranks but the car just doesnt start. Thanks for replies......I'll check back in a couple of minutes.

I;m telling ya....Have your Alt tested! Like I said, I had thesame prob in another car, and the alt just kept getting fried...Think that I replaced 3 on that car!

Maybe you have a 24 hr AutoZone nearby??

if it was a bad alt the car would turn over and battery light would come right away than the car would die after a minute. than maybe crank 10 more times before your batt was completely out of juice. it has been a while since i looked around there, is the alt belt a serpentine, is it turning anything else as well?

bump

Battery is good, starter is good.

The best I can describe the sound is the following:

when cranking the engine:

prrrrt prrrrt prrrt (engine cranking/turning over)

stop cranking

tick tick tick tick tick (spark ticks)

Still trying to find the problem

best tension has nothing to do with the car starting. it would start with no belts at all. so im guessin the car was starting just fine bf the belt install? if you know the batt is good, the alt is fine then you have to look for spark, compression and fuel. id check all your connection in the areas you worked in. sounds like an ingnition related thing. get a spark tester and see if youve got spark

Just replaced my alternator belt today and almost broke my spark plug connector while struggling to release the alternator tension. 25 mins later, 4 skinned knuckles and one cut finger my car was up and running. I didn't have to disconnect anything but should have wrapped all the A/C hose clamps with rags before starting.

If you think you might have installed the belts on incorrectly remove them and try starting you engine. It takes less than five minutes to remove them. It looks like it's possible to install the belt with it not completely on the pulleys. You can also have a better inspection of the area with the belts off.

Still trying to sell my P5.

I replaced my belts last week. After you loosen the bolts to allow the alternator tension to slacken leave the old belt on. Use the old belt to loosen tension by pulling up on it like you are mad at the world. That way you don't have to pry on anything. The napa belt I got seemed to be a bit small and was very difficult to get on. I put it over the alternator and crankshaft. I got it started over the water pump pulley and then turned my motor over just a hair. That brought the belt over the WP pulley the rest of the way. I then used a pry bar to move it over a couple of groves and repeated the process. Make sure you retighten the belt after it heats up and readjusts.

I still don't see how a bad alternator would keep your car from starting as long as you battery has juice. Is there something with the ECM that prevents that?

this happened to my sedan.

check the in car fuse ox... check the one thats description is ENG...

i thought i blew my thermostat and my coolant temp sensor... but it was just that stupid ecu fuse.

I installed a NAPA belt also. It was the same size as the OEM. I inserted a 6" screw driver in the long groved arm and pryed with all my might to lossen the alternator completely. The belt went on with lots of clearance. I even had to move the alternator back out a little to keep the belt from slipping off. I carnked the tension bolt almost back to my OEM mark and I allowed two threads less tension because the new belt felt really tight.

Belt was at the point of ripping at 72K miles. Both of the inner ribs were gone. The car actually accelerated more smoothly after replacing the bad belt. I think I'll go back with Honda for my next car. I replace nothing on my Honda engine except spark plugs for 220K miles; I replaced the engine at 220K miles.

Last edited:
Back