Upgrading the Ambient Lighting and Door Lights

rx7mazda

Contributor
:
MP5 + RX7
Hello all, I didn't see anyone else do this so I figured I'd share what I've been working on (and it's very cheap to do!)

First of all, I rewired the blue floor lights (when you open the door) to come on instead when you turn the headlights on at night (with the rest of the blue ambient lighting). I then used the old wiring for the new LED lights (ordered on eBay) for brighter effect when you open the doors.

I also wired floor lights to be mounted under the rear of the driver and passenger seat so the back seat's floor glows when the doors open; as well as in the trunk area, there will be illuminated on the right and left instead of the one light.

I originally ordered blue (for when you open the doors) but they look somewhat ultra-violet, so I ordered white ones to replace them.

I will include pictures and later on a video (when everything is done). Oh, and all you need to do this mod is some wire cutters, wire, connectors, and some LED strips. I found some cheap ones on eBay that work nice (for a few bucks) https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) (shipping takes a while though). The blue ones do NOT match the blue factory interior lights, at least IMO. Again, I'll have pictures soon.

Last edited:
Wow that's neat because I just finished doing that in my P5! I have four strips come on lighting up the front and back when the doors open and then just two for a dimmer look when my lights are on.

No, but I have a video demonstrating the lights coming on when the doors open and close.

Took some pictures at night, here is what the cabin and cargo area look like...

Attachments

• DSC_7828 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_7828 (Custom).JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_7829 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_7829 (Custom).JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_7830 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_7830 (Custom).JPG
    207 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_7831 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_7831 (Custom).JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 293
I am here to see the video... How do you make the lights go blue with ignition? Did you put in a different set of lights for that? I love the looks of the white lights when you open the door...

Back