Upgrade to remote keyless entry?

:
2014 CX 5 GT
Hi everyone, I searched the forums before asking, but could not find what I was looking for. My wife's 2000 Beetle died unexpectedly, so she had to get a Mazda 2 a little earlier than we planned. She bought a 2013 base model (GX in Canada), with AC as the only option. We were a little surprised that it did not come with remote keyless entry, but we did not want to spend the extra money on the convenience package. Is an upgrade to remote keyless entry possible, either dealer or otherwise?

By the way, we are lovin' the 2, we had an '04 Mazda 3 5-speed before the CX5, it's nice to have the sporty drive back! Not that the CX5 isn't fun to drive, just different.

Thanks!

I bought the keyless entry from the dealer (I live in Newfoundland and also have the GX) and they gave me a keyfob but it is very weak signal and I'm not really happy with it. I would try shopping around to custom shops because one of them might be able to provide a better option. Just my opinion.

Hey NewfieArcher,

I am also in NL, just wondering how much they charged you for the keyless entry?

Thanks,

Thanks NewfieArcher, I tried shopping around; haven't found anything yet. I called the dealer today, he quoted $375 for the OEM setup, but it still doesn't open the hatch. Not ready to pay that much, I will keep looking.

Fish64

Our cars in the States come with a Valet key and one with a remote. Some of us have purchased the Remote for the Mazda 6 and it has the trunk release. I paid about 50 bucks on E-Bay including shipping from Hong Kong, had it cut at good locksmith for 5 dollars and programmed it myself. You can only program it yourself if you have two programmed keys otherwise you need to take it to the dealer.

Hey NewfieArcher, could you post up a picture of the keyfob they gave you when they installed the keyless entry? I can't help but wonder if you don't have an aftermarket system.

1172685_10153102263270084_252682705_o.jpg

Looks like an aftermarket system to me, you should be able to program the switchblade given that you do indeed have two keys for it.

Not myself specifically, but a few other members have used Mazda 3/5/6 switchblades that have the "trunk pop" button which opens the trunk if the engine isn't running. Aside from the standard switchblade from the 2, that's the only real difference.

Yeah, that definitely looks like an aftermarket setup. The question is if Mazda installed the keyless entry unit in the car from the factory, even though it didn't come with the remotes. If they didn't, that would explain why the dealer did what they did, but for the $40 or so an OEM remote goes for on eBay, you might want to give it a shot anyway.

Yeah I'll give the idea to my girlfriend for a gift. Shes always trying to figure out gift ideas for me. Thanks guys.

My 2 Sport came w/ keyless entry (1 fob, 1 valet key). The range on this thing is ABSURD. I can be about 100 feet away and it works flawlessly.

Back