Unusually High RPMs On Protege 5?

Also, do the 2002 auto's have lock-up torque converters?

If not, there will definitely be some variation, and higher rpm when in 4th (w/OD), especially when going up a hill.

I've got an 03 auto, I drive 125-130km/h on the highway here everyday, thats around 77-80mph, rpms are probably max 4k ever, and the engine doesn't feel like its under much stress, its a small engine with a 4spd auto so I expect the higher rpms, but it never feels like it's pushing too much.

Just do regular maintenance and if you feel like it's pushing too much have the engine checked out by your mechanic.

And if you don't want to push it or drive that fast don't :) I'm sure you'll only lengthen the life of the engine by not pushing it :)

Also, do the 2002 auto's have lock-up torque converters?

If not, there will definitely be some variation, and higher rpm when in 4th (w/OD), especially when going up a hill.

My 03 definitely has a lock up torque converter, but the car seems to have been designed to unlock it every chance it gets, including and especially going up not terribly steep inclines at near constant velocity. On the highway it can be even more dramatic, with it unlocking the TC and down shifting the transmission at RPM where, had it been a manual, I would have left it in the same gear. Kind of scary when it happens, since the RPM jump a lot going from 4th to 3rd at highway speeds, and you don't really expect it because the car was nowhere near bogging down.

Remember that tire size will not affect RPM at indicated MPH. And also the automatic uses a taller (lower numerically) final drive ratio, 3.90:1 vrs 4.10:1, so automatics will turn a lower RPM than manuals.

What point are you trying to make on the final drive ratio? He asked for information on an automatic, my car is an automatic as stated.

I don't know your definition of changing tire sizes? If the diameter of a tire is bigger or smaller than that of a stock tire it WILL affect the rpm at the indicated mph.

Clifton

What point are you trying to make on the final drive ratio? He asked for information on an automatic, my car is an automatic as stated.

I don't know your definition of changing tire sizes? If the diameter of a tire is bigger or smaller than that of a stock tire it WILL affect the rpm at the indicated mph.

Clifton

Not at INDICATED mph. The TRUE mph will certainly change with different sized tires. As for final drive ratios, it is possible some with manual trannys would/could respond to the thread with different RPM's on their cars.

Anyone here that has an auto P5

Could you post your RPM when cruising around 70-75 using overdrive??

I wonder how big a difference it makes

whoah wait. I have an 03 with the sportronic tanny(4spd).

Overdrive? What? Is that the same as 'cruise control'?

I dont have a specific button/lever/switch to activate it? help?

When I'm on the highway around 75-80 the engine seems to have high Rpms, and I'm aware of cabin noise/road noise, but I can hear the engine noise especially. I have tires with around 80% treadlife left, and only around 28,000 miles on the car/engine itself.

on the 02 there is a button to press to go into OD over drive

Yeah, it's on the shift stick between the seats, below the button you depress to shift gears. If you don't have an "O/D Off" light showing on your dashboard, your OD is turned on.

I can think of very few instances where you would want it turned off outside of heavy towing (which, yeah, don't know if you noticed, you're driving a Protege :)), so I would just leave it on.

whoah wait. I have an 03 with the sportronic tanny(4spd).

Overdrive? What? Is that the same as 'cruise control'?

I dont have a specific button/lever/switch to activate it? help?

When I'm on the highway around 75-80 the engine seems to have high Rpms, and I'm aware of cabin noise/road noise, but I can hear the engine noise especially. I have tires with around 80% treadlife left, and only around 28,000 miles on the car/engine itself.

question about my 03 automatic O/D has not been answered..?

anyone know?

MP5stephen, when your 4 speed sportmatic is in the automatic position it automatically shifts through the 4 speeds based on driving conditions. That is exactly what the automatic with overdrive does when the overdrive is on. The overdrive transmission has an on/off control button on the shifter. I think the ratios are the same in both transmissions, but I'm not sure.

When the overdrive button is is switched off 4Th speed is disabled, so it essentially becomes a 3 speed automatic transmission. If you wish to downshift below 3TD you have to move the shifter from D to 1 or 2. When you go to manual with your sportmatic it remains a 4speed transmission with manual control through all four speeds.

It's not the same as cruise control.

Clifton

I've run my P5 at redline for an hour with no ill effects (yay track days!). The engines are stout, hearty things. I wouldn't worry about it, except for fuel economy.

MP5stephen, when your 4 speed sportmatic is in the automatic position it automatically shifts through the 4 speeds based on driving conditions. That is exactly what the automatic with overdrive does when the overdrive is on. The overdrive transmission has an on/off control button on the shifter. I think the ratios are the same in both transmissions, but I'm not sure.

When the overdrive button is is switched off 4Th speed is disabled, so it essentially becomes a 3 speed automatic transmission. If you wish to downshift below 3TD you have to move the shifter from D to 1 or 2. When you go to manual with your sportmatic it remains a 4speed transmission with manual control through all four speeds.

It's not the same as cruise control.

Clifton

Thanks Clifton!
I just wasn't aware that they had a normal Automatic, and a Sportmatic. I thought they were the same type of auto trans.

BTW,
Are the sportmatic, and normal automatic gear ratios the same? (I imagine they should be.)

Back