UK Owners, Winter tyres

Billy bob

Has anyone put winter tyres on their Cx-5? If so, what have you gone for? There aren't many to choose from in the 225/55r19 size, only Yokohama and Vredestein really.

Can you change size slightly, there seems to be much more choice in the 235/50 r19 size

Has anyone put winter tyres on their Cx-5? If so, what have you gone for? There aren't many to choose from in the 225/55r19 size, only Yokohama and Vredestein really.

Can you change size slightly, there seems to be much more choice in the 235/50 r19 size

I know you are looking at the this from a UK perspective but i just went through this process to buy a set of winter tires and wheels for the Northeast of the US. I ended up just going with the stock 225/55r19 sizing and getting a new wheel. I had to get the Blizzak DM-V1's as they are the only ones outside of the pirelli's which did not get the best ratings in comparison.

check out the tire fitment page This is a good post that describes the sizing of the stock wheel and such.

When shopping on tire rack I had to call them multiple times because most of the wheel options in the 225/55r19 size are 8.5 inches wide which is too big for the blizzaks, so again limiting the options for tire and wheel combinations. So be careful if you want to change up the tire size and refer to the post above as it has some alternatives if you are keeping the stock wheel - "235/50R19" does seem to be an option for the stock wheel from the post.

Put Yokohama W902As on my car last winter and will have them refitted in the next week or two now things are cooling down. Mine are however 17" wheels. Wasn't a lot of choice out there when I went shopping but seemed to be ok last winter although we never had any snow here. That said the standard cold weather performance seemed decent.

Put Yokohama W902As on my car last winter and will have them refitted in the next week or two now things are cooling down. Mine are however 17" wheels. Wasn't a lot of choice out there when I went shopping but seemed to be ok last winter although we never had any snow here. That said the standard cold weather performance seemed decent.

Yes, last winter was very mild. I can only remember scraping the ice of my car about three times. The Yokohama 902's are an option, so I am interested to hear how much they wore when you had them fitted.

Many thanks

This is what came with my car (compulsory here and alloy with tyres can be bought at trade price while purchasing the car)

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/yokohama-w-drive-225-55-r19-99-v#75272336

I have the 17" version but they are available in 19" as the link shows. The are on now and taken off in April, they perform as well or better than any other winter tyre I have used which include many top brands. They don't have the jelly handling effect that many winter tyres produce and the road noise is not that much more (all winter tyres are a little noisier).

Hope that helps.

Iain

I would buy from that website, much cheaper than mytyres and blackcircles and my friends in the uk say the service is great.

Can't comment on wear as I don't do a very high mileage.

Auto express have a winter tyre test in this weeks issue if you're interested.

issue 1344

Thank you both for your comments.

I spoke to Mazda UK who confirmed that the only approved size for the 19" is 225/55.

I also saw a huge test in Auto Bild with 50 tyres, where the Yokohamas and Vredesteins didnt do well in the wet braking test. However, I have since seen that the Pirelli Scorpion Winter has come top in another test in a German magazine, so I will investigate them further.

Thank you both for your comments.

I spoke to Mazda UK who confirmed that the only approved size for the 19" is 225/55.

I also saw a huge test in Auto Bild with 50 tyres, where the Yokohamas and Vredesteins didnt do well in the wet braking test. However, I have since seen that the Pirelli Scorpion Winter has come top in another test in a German magazine, so I will investigate them further.

I have a set of 19" wheels from a ex cx-5 owner who ran his car on the 17" wheels in winter, standard fit on the sel versions. He had a sport but traded in with the 17", dealer said nothing.

I would ignore what Mazda have told you its rubbish. Its common practise to fit small steel wheels with skinny tyres for driving in snow etc.

The Conti won the Autoexpress test, to be honest I would ignore every test as they often change the winner from year to year. When I looked into it the same tyre that won in one test in the UK didn't win in a test in Germany, so all I ended up was confused.

Conti do tend to be in the top half of most tests.

At the end of the day the buying decision comes down, more than anything else, to what is available rather that what won any comparison test. If you check the tyre sizes in these tests they are car tyres rather than SUV tyres.

My trawl of the various suppliers last year demonstrated exactly that......and that seems to be borne out by the fact that Oponeo is offering you Yokohamas too.

I have a set of 19" wheels from a ex cx-5 owner who ran his car on the 17" wheels in winter, standard fit on the sel versions. He had a sport but traded in with the 17", dealer said nothing.

I would ignore what Mazda have told you its rubbish. Its common practise to fit small steel wheels with skinny tyres for driving in snow etc.

The Conti won the Autoexpress test, to be honest I would ignore every test as they often change the winner from year to year. When I looked into it the same tyre that won in one test in the UK didn't win in a test in Germany, so all I ended up was confused.

Conti do tend to be in the top half of most tests.

Sorry, I think I've caused some confusion here.

Mazda said that the only approved tyre for the 19x7j rim is 225/55, 235 section tyres are not approved for use. They didn't say that I couldn't fit 17" wheels, as other models come with 17's anyway so they are clearly approved for use.

My wife isn't sure how much longer she will be keeping her cx5, hence my reluctance to buy a set of 17" wheels for winter tyre use, but she does need new tyres now and as it's coming up to winter then it makes sense to fit winter tyres if this is the last set of tyres we get for the vehicle.

If conti did a tyre in 225/55 r19 I would probably go for them. As you say they consistently do well in these sorts of tests.

How bad was that wet braking test? I'm asking because my Dad just bought some Hankooks, he checked some tests and in one test they came 4th because from 50mph the were a whole meter worse than the winner! 1 meter sheesh.

How bad was that wet braking test? I'm asking because my Dad just bought some Hankooks, he checked some tests and in one test they came 4th because from 50mph the were a whole meter worse than the winner! 1 meter sheesh.

The article was in tyrepress.com and gave a summary of what Auto Bild had said: "Descending further down the list, below 20th place Auto Bild cautioned consumers to keep their hands off, as the bottom 30 tyres were kicked out after the first braking test Auto Bild said they offer only a small safety reserve on wet road surfaces", so no, they didnt give figures. Maybe the original Auto Bild article does state what the wet braking distances are though.

Found the article, the translation you stated is correct.
The first number is the wet brake from 50mph in meters and the second is snow from 30mph. Seems 40.1 meters in wet is fine, 40.5 meters is terrible! The Yokohamas were 41.8 meters which doesn't seem to be a big drama if you ask me. I am not sure how they can make each test identical, same tyre temps, road temps, perfect speed, exact same reaction time, same ABS behaviour etc etc etc.

Interestingly, the worst wet tyre to pass the first test, the Fulda, then preformed nearly the best in the snow braking so it would have been good if they just put them all through the snow test as some tyres are designed to be as best as possible on snow rather than wet. The UK would be better with a strong wet tyre probably, where as here its better with a strong snow tyre for dry winters with hard packed snow roads.

This is a 225/50/17 test so still not an exact match for the CX5 17" version, but you can get nearly all the top performers in the "suv" version. As you know, the 19" choice is very limited!

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-2014-2015-225-50-r-17-5301612.html

Dunlops in 17
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/dunlop-sp-winter-sport-4d-225-65-r17-102-h#75060430

Last edited:
No problem, Germans love their stats, we have plenty Autobild magazines lying around the office and they are a good read, but lack the humor of the uk magazines....but is anyone surprised!

No problem, Germans love their stats, we have plenty Autobild magazines lying around the office and they are a good read, but lack the humor of the uk magazines....but is anyone surprised!

I suppose not, lol!

Well, I've decided to go for the Pirelli Scorpion winters, they weren't much more than the Vredeteins or Yokohamas and I was swayed by their test results.

However, already the tyres have crept up by 3 quid a corner since I first looked at them! I wonder how much they'll be come mid December or following a clump of snowfall...!

155 on Oponeo. That's what I would go for too, summer equivalent seem pretty good to and not too expensive. I need to look for summer tyre come spring, plenty choice though.

Latest posts

Back