UK (Brits) New 2017 model thread, or fancy a second cuppa?

Did the car feel quicker to respond to accelerator inputs?
Mazda claim the cars performance is improved through throttle response?

I would be surprised if it feels nippier as it is the same power and torque as before but a heavier car. Apparently the skyactiv engine doesn't need adblue to meet the nox levels for euro6.

I would be surprised if it feels nippier as it is the same power and torque as before but a heavier car. Apparently the skyactiv engine doesn't need adblue to meet the nox levels for euro6.

I have read various versions of 0-60/0-100 times. But i think its in the 7.8 second ballpark - almost same as 16s.

It felt nippier, but to be honest I test drove a manual and my current one is an auto so no real comparison. I did see the average fuel consumption was a lot better on the manual I test drove compared to my own.

Will update further once I get it sat on my driveway.

Alex.

For all the Brits here: I just bought the new CX-5 Mark II...with a 2.5L Petrol engine! Don't know why this engine is not offered in the UK? (re : Jonno21 post : New CX-5 press release pdf)

Last edited:
Just tried a search on the PDF file, (CtrlF) and as you say no mention of "Adblue" and coincidentally the guy who accompanied me on the test drive - who was not a salesman but a senior member of Mazda staff who was sent down for the day from H/O, and he actually said that Mazda are proud to say that unlike some of the competition "Adblue" is not needed. He went on to tell me the properties and origins of the product.

Under the bonnet, not a lot seems to have changed.

One thing, the steering seems to be better (not that there was anything wrong before) and the road rolling noise was greatly reduced.

I love the one I currently have, but this one has a few good refinements.

Alex.

There is mention of meeting Euro VI without the need of expensive after treatments so I presume that is what they are eluding to.

For all the Brits here: I just bought the new CX-5 Mark II...with a 2.5L Petrol engine! Don't know why this engine is not offered in the UK? (re : Jonno21 post : New CX-5 press release pdf)

Don't go there. I've raised hell with Mazda UK.

A 3000 discount would still put the price to replace mine over 30000 OTR. No sure I want to pay that for a Mazda.

At any rate it will be at least 18 months before I start looking. Surprised the CX-5 has been stolen, I wouldn't have thought they were that desirable with all the other prestige cars around.

I hope you enjoy the new car Alex, and I think the new thread is a good idea, hopefully the latest version will be fault free.
Well obviously they are because it's gone.

I understand that the Kia Sportage now has a 2litre petrol engine with a turbo making 175bhp and I would assume more torque than the NA 2litre engine. If the torque is good on it then it may tempt a few over from the diesel. I would expect Mazda to do something similar also, maybe even a 2.5T!!

Extras, but it was bit like a Double Glazing pitch where "these are only available if you sign up today" which automatically raised my barriers. Offers were 3 years servicing automatically included, and 0% finance over three years and not PCP either, so on Month 37 car is yours. I normally pay "cash" but in this instance the thought of not taking a huge chunk out of capital really appealed.

This time it is "Eternal Blue" but I did love the "Soul Red Crystal" but the price difference didn't justify. Didn't bother with the "cleaning/polishing kit and there was some bodywork protection damage (not Gap) which I declined.

No waiting list either, last time I looked at it in April, test driven & ordered in June, collected September 2012.

Hi Alex.

Which dealer is doing 3 years interest free?

Hi Alex.

Which dealer is doing 3 years interest free?

This was Eden Mazda of Taunton, they gave me the impression this was a "one day deal" for the special launch event. Not sure if spin, but as soon as this was thrown at me my ears pricked up.

The official date for the model to hit the road is 30th June, but they're telling me mine will be ready for collection prior to this date. Last time I was in a three month waiting list.

Alex.

This was Eden Mazda of Taunton, they gave me the impression this was a "one day deal" for the special launch event. Not sure if spin, but as soon as this was thrown at me my ears pricked up.

The official date for the model to hit the road is 30th June, but they're telling me mine will be ready for collection prior to this date. Last time I was in a three month waiting list.

Alex.

Thanks. There are dealers that do their own thing. My local dealer said they have been stung too many times by not having cars at launch so Zebrugge has quite a stock of new CX-5s. Some are in the country but I don't think they'll release them until the 30th.

Collected today my band spanking new CX-5 2017 new model.

Lovely to drive, thought I'd need to re-acquaint myself with a stick that has to be stirred in order to get the right gear, surprisingly like riding a bike, comes naturally.

Few subtle differences, for example the floor compartment layout in the boot-space under the lift-up cover is better. Centre console, binnacle arrangement and air ventilation improvements to the rear seating area. Steering so much better, and loads quieter. Auto-retraction of door mirrors is nice and seats are more comfortable.

There will be niggles but will list them as I go along, however by purchasing the car if anything seems to be out of my comfort zone then I need live with it as I chose every bit of the car.

"Infotainment" system seems to be over complicated, but once the weather cools will sit inside and have a play. Have already downloaded the "Mazda Toolbox" to the SD card and put on a huge update.

The system is the same as the Mazda one that seems to have been in place for the last three or four years - Not the TomTom. So without trawling through the dedicated thread for infotainment systems I'm hoping all will be straightforward, but I'm not sure on "live Traffic" as not clear in the instructions. I'm assuming relies on Blue-tooth to my smart phone?

but I'm not sure on "live Traffic" as not clear in the instructions. I'm assuming relies on Blue-tooth to my smart phone?

Hi Alex

You have to connect your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot to get traffic, weather and fuel prices etc. I calculated it only uses about 50MB of my phone data allowance per month and that's using it most days. I think the trial period is 30 days from when you first enable the hotspot. I can't give you a price for 3 years as it varies (Euro - exchange rate fluctuations)

Alex, you Lucky guy!

Me has to wait for another 4 months....

Please keep us updated on your driving experience with the cx-5 Mark 2.

Mines due on the 7th. I've heard my stolen 2016.5 was stopped with a stinger and is in an appalling state.

Mines due on the 7th. I've heard my stolen 2016.5 was stopped with a stinger and is in an appalling state.

Silver lining time Anchorman; you are a good advocate for Gap insurance, I took it out on mine & thought myself as a soft touch but now I think otherwise.

You'll love it.

Alex

Silver lining time Anchorman; you are a good advocate for Gap insurance, I took it out on mine & thought myself as a soft touch but now I think otherwise.

You'll love it.

Alex

Yes I will be renewing my GAP policy. I took the additional scratch and dent policy and the wheel damage policy although neither were used. I took mine with ALA who offer a vehicle replacement policy and have paid the entire amount between the insurance payout and the invoice amount of the new model which is much dearer. I'm not sure I realised that at the time of paying for it but glad I did now. It's not been plain sailing and I've had to fight for the value of the safety pack because they said it wasn't itemised on the invoice. The cops reckon this kind of crime is on the increase so yes, I strongly advise it.

Having both endured and enjoyed TomTom NB1 on the previous CX-5 here's a few observations on the Mazda "Infotainment" sat-nav system. I'm not sure if this one is the same as been fitted since TomTom was kicked into touch about 3 years ago - looks identical, but here goes.

Live traffic seems a bit of a gamble, on the A303 Westbound just after "Solstice Park" two lanes merge into one, and quite often queues and this is a well known pinch-point, was held up approx 15 minutes but no mention of any congestion. However was suggested several times further along the A303 today of traffic congestion but failed to say where they might be on the route, and transpired they didn't even exist. One might have came to light when I got to "Podimore Roundabout" by Yeovilton as showed queuing traffic which I guess this was probably in anticipation of Glastonbury Festival traffic, but despite that, nothing there! I have set up using Wi-Fi as well, plus my phone (blue-tooth) is fully enabled.

Announcement volume, can be turned down to zero, no voice mute seems available, but then every time an instruction needed to be passed on even though volume set to minimum the r/h speaker would still mute the radio/usb but of course no narrative. Love the diction from the announcer though, for example when setting volume she tells us something like "Your announcements will now be at this Vol-Yoooom!" Additionally if volume (Vol-Yooom) set to minimum no announcements at all regards speed cameras or if exceeding the speed limit, and the r/h speaker still expects something to be said as it then shuts off the music in anticipation to deliver the announcement.

When playing tracks on USB no indication at all which track number from an album, consequently select an album and will repeat the whole album until you realise that you heard this track some time ago, doesn't even trip into the next album on file either. So a bit like a CD player really, and on a loop, I'll get used to it I guess.

Cruise control; nowhere near as driver friendly as the earlier one. No more the green symbol in the speedo binnacle which turns to amber when temporarily disabled by braking or cancel, now there is a tiny little symbol within the right hand display which is buried amongst several other numbers including the speed you've set, average fuel, temperature etc and all that depicts whether is active is the "" image above left to the figure of your pre-set speed. If you knock off cruise, symbol disappears, may as well not even be there as the feel of the car tells you and a bit dangerous trying to look for it. To activate cruise you need to toggle on the same rocker button between max speed or the speed you wish to set cruise, and when driving it is near impossible to ascertain what symbol is what, plus that one dial isn't so brightly lit as the speedo & tachometer. If wearing sun-glasses then barely able to read anything within that display. To temporarily cancel cruise you can operate the same rocker switch down, but on the odd occasion will disable altogether and you have to fully re-set.

Just a few little idiosyncrasies which I'll get used to because the car is so much better, and I thought the outgoing model was unbeatable.

To be continued..........

Alex.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back