UHaul Trailer Tongue / Coupler Height?

mfaubert

:
2011 CX-9 GT AWD
I'm renting a 5X8 UHaul enclosed trailer this weekend to move some items for my daughter. Does anyone happen to know the height of the tongue/coupler of this trailer? Before I pick it up I want make sure I have the right ball (by eyeballing I'm guessing I need rise versus drop) height so the trailer is level. It doesn't say anything on their website anywhere and the guy at the place where I'm picking it up is clueless.

This is what I bought for my CX-9:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I bought this for the 5x8 Uhaul trailer I had planned to rent, but then at the last minute realized I would need their largest trailer 6x12.
the 6x12 had the coupling on top of the main trailer bar, so the trailer actually leaned forward/down just slightly.

The link above will be the perfect receiver attachment for the 5x8 trailer for the cx-9 with a factory hitch, where the 5x8 trailer should sit
exactly level with the ground. The 5x8 just has a single frame which extends all the way to the coupling, which is on the end of the frame, unlike the 6x12 trailer which has the coupling on top of the frame.

I had the exact heights written down, but I lost track of them.

DSC07620.jpg

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have the Draw Tite Class III hitch installed. It measures 15" from the ground to the top of the hitch. I'm thinking I may have to lift the ball to 17" but I'm trying to find someone who can confirm it.

I still can't believe it's not the U Haul website somewhere or the guys at the local U Haul don't know. All the website says is that it should not exceed 24" but that seems awfully high to me.

Last edited:
Oh, another thing I almost forgot: the receiver attachment I got is rated @ 3500lbs towing capacity, but the "tongue" weight is only 300 lbs, meaning no more than 300 lbs can sit on top of that ball, although I am sure 300 must be conservative. Not sure if they make a heavier duty one for the same height, but I was very careful in packing the trailer so that no more than 60% of the weight of the cargo was in the front of the trailer. I will measure my hitch later tonight when I get home from work.

Approx 14.75 inches from the ground to the center of the hitch receiver opening, and about 15.75 to the top of the hitch receiver opening. (sitting on level garage floor). ( oem hitch)

Latest posts

Back