Uh-Oh...Transmission Problem?

batbl18

:
2002 Mazda Proteg ES
Hi everyone. First, i'll introduce myself. My name is Brent and I recently just bought a 2002 Mazda Protege ES 5-Speed with 40,000 miles on it.

Super clean car with everything appearing to be in great condition. Here she is:
526338246_5f6d9e1487.jpg

Anyways, I took delivery of the car on 5/31/07 early evening and put 15 miles on driving back home. Keep in mind this is my third time driving a stick so it was still something new to me. Got the car home no problems, no stalling and parked it for the night.

Next day I drive 12 miles or so to the store with no problems. A minute after I leave the store I come to a red light. I slow and stop the car like normal, then engage the car into first gear so I will be able to drive like normal once the light turns. However once the light turned green I eased off the clutch and onto the gas and the car stalls. No biggie I'm thinking, since I has stalled the car a couple times including the test drive and it was less than a day old to me. I try again, starting the car then trying to accelerate while being the first car at the light, however it stalls again. This continues for a couple minutes while I try probably 7 or so times even trying to rev the engine up a bit before releasing the clutch. However the car still isn't going. By this point the cars behind me finally see my hazards and go around me and quit honking. I try the car in 2nd gear a couple times thinking that maybe I was just messing something up. However the car still wouldn't go. At this point I'm starting to get irritated and not know what to do. After all I was sitting at the light still, not moving, in the road in my lane, unable to go anywhere. Finally I try the car in third gear and am able to nurse the car immediately into a parking lot where I then call the salesman who sold and handed me the keys the day before. After an hour of finally him realizing that the car wouldn't go for me he decided to come and find out what was going on. He shows up (dealership 15 minutes from the incident) and walks over to the car thinking that because I hadn't driven a manual before that I might have just not driven it properly. Anyways he grabs the keys hops in, and points to the parking brake which I pulled up once I parked the car, thinking that he found why the car wouldn't drive. He starts the car, puts it in gear and tries to drive, it stalls. Tries it again, and it stalls again. Finally the third time he give the car some gas and gets the rpm's up before releasing the clutch, however the car stalls. Then he dumbfoundedly looks confused as to why the car wouldn't drive, gets out of the car, and goes into his new car he drove over.
We leave the car there to be towed by the dealership and take off to the dealer. Upon entering the dealership the sales manager comes up and asks "what did you do to the car?" I explain that it simply wouldn't drive and he walks away in disbelief. I get driven home and am without a car.

The car would not drive in first or second gears. I was able to move the car in third gear and did so to get it out of the road. Once in the parking lot I pulled to an empty side and parked, relaxed for a minute and tried again. The car would not move in either gear and I also tried reverse with no luck. Also something to note, normally you can start the car in neutral with the parking brake up and you can take your foot off the clutch after starting it up with no problems. However after this happened, in the parking lot when I would push the clutch in to start the car in neutral and with the parking break up the car would start fine with no lights going off on the dash, however once I lifted my foot off the clutch to let the car idle, it would immediately die and shut off.

The car was less than a day old when this problem occured, and had less that 30 miles put on it once I took delivery. The car currently has the Connecticut Used Car warranty of 60 days/3,000 miles that guarantees it mechanically sound for that period. I am waiting to hear back on what the problem with the car is. Hopefully they will cover the cost under the waranty as it states: "This used car warranty law does not appy to any mechanical defects of your vehicle white the dealer can prove resulted from an automobile accident which occurred after you took possesion of the vehicle or from your misuse of the vehicle." The car was not in an accident, and after 30 miles of driving I don't believe I could have possibly caused any misuse which caused this issue.

I'm just a bit irritated myself that the car had a problem after less than a day old. The Protege was great fun to drive for those 30 miles and I can't wait to get it back. (boom05)

Added: On 6/2/07 the service department said they have to "dig deeper" and aren't sure of what the problem is yet.

Last edited:
Well as of right now, they know it has at least a burnt clutch. They say that under the 27 miles that I drove it (and probably 2/3 or that was highway/no stopping) that I burnt out a perfectly fine clutch. As a side note the mileage that differred on the sticker to when I took delivery was a difference of 50 miles. Therefore from test drives, etc more miles were put on after they put the car than I put on. The car was not giving me trouble driving. I was not experiencing any problems. Right now they are refusing to pay to fix it, after I had the car less than a day. The only has 40,000 miles. Not knowing the past driver's techniques of driving it seems as if the previous owner might have been at the point where he/she needed to change it at 40,000 , right? I am frustrated.

If they refuse to cover that, it makes you wonder what they would cover.

nate0123 said:
If they refuse to cover that, it makes you wonder what they would cover.

Yeah well right now after only putting 27 miles on the vehicle which already had 40,000 they said my inexperience is the reason the clutch burnt out so fast and is my problem. Right now the car is under the CT used car warranty however they are saying I have to pay.

CT USED CAR WARRANTY

WHATS COVERED UNDER THE LAW?: The warranty law requires that the used motor vehicle be mechanically operational and sound at the time of the vehicles purchase and throughout the warranty period. If the vehicle is not mechanically operational, the dealer is required to repair the vehicle at no charge to the consumer. The warranty period is 30 days or 1,500 miles (whichever occurs first) for vehicles sold for at least $3,000 and 60 days or 3,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for vehicles sold for at least $5,000.

WHATS NOT COVERED UNDER THE LAW?: The used car warranty law does NOT cover vehicle features such as cigarette lighters, paint jobs, or upholstery. The law only applies to features that are directly related to the vehicles operation. In addition, the law will NOT apply in cases where the consumer has misused the vehicle or where mechanical defects have resulted from an accident after the consumer has taken possession of the vehicle.

And how do they intend to prove that you misused/abused the vehicle?

Granted, your admission that you're still learning to drive stick doesn't help your case so much.

nate0123 said:
And how do they intend to prove that you misused/abused the vehicle?

Granted, your admission that you're still learning to drive stick doesn't help your case so much.

I don't know. I understand that I don't know how to drive it like Jeff Gordon or Helio Castroneves. However how do you learn stick if you apparently will burn the clutch in under 30 miles? And HALF of those miles were on the highway when i wasn't shifting. So it's really 15 miles which I apparently killed the clutch in. How long does a clutch last? When is the maintenance suggested on it?

UPDATE: Well the dealership which was a stuck up Acura dealer kept refusing to fix it, until finally said snotty "Fine, we'll pay for it. We normally don't do these things. I'm sure you'll just be in here in another week with another burnt clutch, and once we fix it once we won't fix it again." So they are sending it to a Mazda dealership.

batbl18 said:
I don't know. I understand that I don't know how to drive it like Jeff Gordon or Helio Castroneves. However how do you learn stick if you apparently will burn the clutch in under 30 miles? And HALF of those miles were on the highway when i wasn't shifting. So it's really 15 miles which I apparently killed the clutch in. How long does a clutch last? When is the maintenance suggested on it?
Actually I have heard of somebody burning their clutch in about 20 miles of driving during a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam on a highway in LA. He actually confessed it to us. The n00b driver never let off the clutch in traffic, so he was letting it engage halfway while pumping the gas to move... for like 2 to 3 hrs. He complained about his clutch later and when he got it waranteed (it was a new car), they found the clutch disk worn down so much, it was almost like a piece of paper.

batbl18 said:
UPDATE: Well the dealership which was a stuck up Acura dealer kept refusing to fix it, until finally said snotty "Fine, we'll pay for it. We normally don't do these things. I'm sure you'll just be in here in another week with another burnt clutch, and once we fix it once we won't fix it again." So they are sending it to a Mazda dealership.

What's the name of the dealership u bought the car from?

well i have burned up a couple of cluches and the car never stalled it just wouldn't go
my other car is a 92protege and after i bought it like 3 months the cluch was going out but i didn't have the money to get it fixed right away so i had to keep driving it well after about 6 weeks of nursing it back and forth to work it almost wouldn't go so i borrowed the money and took it to a shop thats next door to where i work its 34 miles from my house i had to rev it up to 4500 rpm to get it to start going and then had to keep it at 3000-4000 rpms to keep it going and when i got there i had to push it up into the drive way of the shop because it just wouldn't go any more the cluch disk had broken and the car never stalled on me so imjust alittle comfused about it being a burnt clutch it seems more like the throw out baring or the preasure plate

yeah that is total bs that those bastards would refuse to fix the problem. From a business standpoint it would be stupid for them to not cover it. If they give you any more problems go to the better business bureu check out the lemon laws in your area. I dont think there is any way in hell you burned that clutch out in 30 miles, b/c i have a protege that had a 183,000 miles on it with the original clutch b/f i finally decided to fix it myself. unfortunately it sounds like your trans may be fuC*#@ if it is not going into gear than that is a good sign that there is something wrong with the differential or gears, you will probably need a new one soon if they dont' provide it for you. In these sitations you have the burden of proof when submitting a claim under warrant but I don't see how they could refuse to pay for this, and from the sounds of it, it appears that they are going to take care of it.

Sorry I forgot to update you all, here is the remainder of the situation.

UPDATE 6/4/07: Well the dealership which was a stuck up Acura dealer kept refusing to fix it, until finally said snotty "Fine, we'll pay for it. We normally don't do these things. I'm sure you'll just be in here in another week with another burnt clutch, and once we fix it once we won't fix it again." (bicker) So they are sending it to a Mazda dealership thats owned by same owners to get fixed.

UPDATE 6/5/07: The car safely was towed from the Acura dealership to the Mazda dealership and is in their service department to be inspected and replace what is wrong.(cool)

UPDATE 6/6/07: They say that the clutch is definitely going to be replaced along with a couple other parts.:eek: (headbang)

UPDATE 6/8/07 The car is fixed according to the Mazda dealer and has to be sent back down to the Acura dealership so I can pick it up tomorrow. :)

UPDATE 6/9/07 The car was picked up at the dealership today.(rockon)
This is the description of the invoice for the car:
"Removed transmission and inspected. Replaced clutch assembly and broken 3-4 shift fork and rev idle gear. Reassembled and road tested."

UPDATE 6/23/07 The car is great fun to drive so far, and I haven't really had a problem learning to shift. Only issue I have sometimes is giving the car a bit too much gas from a stop before rolling off the clutch, causing the car to accelerate from still a bit harder and faster than rolling foward at a slower speed. I really enjoy my Protege.(drinks)

(greenpro) Zoom-Zoom
543084661_9615cfa613.jpg

picture053mediumug1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Ride From What U Were Tellin Us It Seemed More Than Just A Clutch Problem, Im Glad U Got It Fixed.

mastema said:
Nice Ride From What U Were Tellin Us It Seemed More Than Just A Clutch Problem, Im Glad U Got It Fixed.
Yeah me too. I love the handling of this car. (thumb)

Back