U-Haul Class III hitch anybody?

frenchbiker

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
Before I order the parts (hitch + wiring kit) & labor from U-Haul, I'd like to know if someone had a hitch purchased and installed by U-Haul and if you're happy with it. There's a U-Haul 2 miles from where I live so that's very convenient for me. I can drop the car off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD GT + Tech (LED front and tail lights). U-Haul quoted a Class III hitch (Draw-Tite or equivalent 2" receiver 3,500lbs max) + wiring kit compatible with LED tail lights + labor.

Total is $356 installed tax included.

The hitch itself (3,500lbs 2" receiver) is $159.95
The wiring kit is $59.95 (4 flat connector)
Labor is 1.8hr at $80/hour for both the hitch and wiring. There will be a direct connection to the battery.
They also added a $5 warranty for the whole thing.

I don't know if their prices are reasonable so I wanted to ask you guys before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Before I order the parts (hitch + wiring kit) & labor from U-Haul, I'd like to know if someone had a hitch purchased and installed by U-Haul and if you're happy with it. There's a U-Haul 2 miles from where I live so that's very convenient for me. I can drop the car off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD GT + Tech (LED front and tail lights). U-Haul quoted a Class III hitch (Draw-Tite or equivalent 2" receiver 3,500lbs max) + wiring kit compatible with LED tail lights + labor.

Total is $356 installed tax included.

The hitch itself (3,500lbs 2" receiver) is $159.95
The wiring kit is $59.95 (4 flat connector)
Labor is 1.8hr at $80/hour for both the hitch and wiring. There will be a direct connection to the battery.
They also added a $5 warranty for the whole thing.

I don't know if their prices are reasonable so I wanted to ask you guys before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Yes, that is a good price for parts and labor.

I would have them run the 12v main power wire through the INTERIOR and not through the undercarriage. I am not comfortable with running it underneath where it will face harsh conditions and possible get damaged.

Yes, that is a good price for parts and labor.

I would have them run the 12v main power wire through the INTERIOR and not through the undercarriage. I am not comfortable with running it underneath where it will face harsh conditions and possible get damaged.

I'll ask them if it's the way they install or if they run the power wire in a plastic sleeve, to protect it from the elements. Either method is fine with me.

I'll ask them if it's the way they install or if they run the power wire in a plastic sleeve, to protect it from the elements. Either method is fine with me.

I just wired it up myself and ran the wiring INSIDE of the vehicle. It's actually EASIER to do it through the interior vs the exterior. Just run it under the drivers side carpet, remove the plastic entry trim pieces (easy pop-off), run the wire alongside the OEM wire harness, then run the wire to the front under the dash. There is a rubber grommet that gives you access to the drivers side engine compartment. Poked a tiny hole in to run the wire and it comes our right in front of the battery.

Easy and protected from the elements.

If your U-Haul is good, I guess it would be OK. I wouldn't trust anything to my local U-Haul, they would screw it up for sure. It is not that difficult to mount a trailer hitch.
Here is what I am planning to buy:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I will install this myself, I have installed a Curt hitch on a Honda, not bad at all. Curt also sells a wiring kit, or you could buy the genuine Mazda wiring kit from the people that advertise at the top of the page here.

Installation of the hitch is cake on the CX-5 if you have a basic set of tools. I would suggest doing it yourself to save yourself the labor cost and also have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right.

Back