Two week old CX 5 GT. Dead battery

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
Anyone had trouble with a two week old battery? Our CX5 is two weeks old from the showroom floor. Today after work I went to start it.. Foot on the brake, press button. The insterment cluster lite up like a Christmas tree and the needles went wild... Then they slowly settled down and the warning lights and displays all faded. I could not start it.
I had a coworker give a jump and it took about 5-6 min to start.

Took it direct to dealer. Said to leave it over night with them and they would check it in the morning.. Asked the service manager had they ever got a bad or dead battery form Japan. He said never..

Anyone else have this happen after two weeks..

Video of it this is after the lights had dimmed down approx 8 mins from the time I tried to start it.

And YES every thing was closed and off. I start work at 6:00 and it's dark, and I always look back and I would see if the dome light would have been on..

Last edited:
What I have seen happen to folks that are getting used to PUSHBUTTON START, is that they do not realize there are multiple positions, you can leave the car "ON" and the driver will think they have shut OFF the car, when in reality, it was moved from RUN to ON instead.

The scenario occurs when the driver pulls into the parking spot and pushes the start/stop button to stop the engine while the car is either still in gear or in neutral. Instead of the driver turning the car from RUN to OFF, the car is turned from RUN to ON. Leaving the car ON until they return to the vehicle.

Anyone had trouble with a two week old battery? Our CX5 is two weeks old from the showroom floor. Today after work I went to start it.. Foot on the brake, press button. The insterment cluster lite up like a Christmas tree and the needles went wild... Then they slowly settled down and the warning lights and displays all faded. I could not start it.
I had a coworker give a jump and it took about 5-6 min to start.

Took it direct to dealer. Said to leave it over night with them and they would check it in the morning.. Asked the service manager had they ever got a bad or dead battery form Japan. He said never..

Anyone else have this happen after two weeks..

Video of it this is after the lights had dimmed down approx 8 mins from the time I tried to start it.

And YES every thing was closed and off. I start work at 6:00 and it's dark, and I always look back and I would see if the dome light would have been on..

Do you have anything plugged into the armrest cigarette socket or cargo cigarette socket ? those are not switched sockets.
If you have anything plugged into them they will drain your battery dead.

Stupid Mazda took out the switched cigarette socket in the center dash under the HVAC controls for 2016/2016.5,
so now the only two cigarette sockets are on all the time even when the car is off.

Only way to have a switched socket is to add one by tapping the fuse box to an unused 15A fuse slot allocated for the rear,
I used this post as a guide http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829094-Hardwiring-a-Valentine-1
but instead of connecting to a radar detector I added a cigarette socket mounted hidden under the passenger seat

Last edited:
Check the battery to make sure there is sufficient water in the cells. When I got my 2014, the cells were almost dry and when I got the replacement battery, it too needed a lot of distilled water. Leaving those cells not filled up is a good way to kill a battery.

Thanks Mazdadude & TomCat:

When parking I usually place it in Neutral, set the electric brake, release the foot brake letting the car settle (as not to add pressure to the transmission, as I park on a hill), then foot brake on and then place in park. Press the Star/stop, exit..

However as I am new to push button cars, as I just gave up my 20 year old BMW 328i for the CX 5.. I would not doubt I could have done something wrong.. I am kind of hoping it was just a weird bad battery from the long voyage to the states from Japan.
I will find out more as I drove it to the dealer and will hear from them today.

fvansan: Thanks, good to know.. I do not have anything plugged in except a iPhone white power cord to the usb port under the A?C control area, nothing was attached to the end, it was just plugged in. No 12v. cigarette lights stuff either.

Dave.

Thanks Mazdadude & TomCat:

When parking I usually place it in Neutral, set the electric brake, release the foot brake letting the car settle (as not to add pressure to the transmission, as I park on a hill), then foot brake on and then place in park. Press the Star/stop, exit..

However as I am new to push button cars, as I just gave up my 20 year old BMW 328i for the CX 5.. I would not doubt I could have done something wrong.. I am kind of hoping it was just a weird bad battery from the long voyage to the states from Japan.
I will find out more as I drove it to the dealer and will hear from them today.

fvansan: Thanks, good to know.. I do not have anything plugged in except a iPhone white power cord to the usb port under the A?C control area, nothing was attached to the end, it was just plugged in. No 12v. cigarette lights stuff either.

Dave.
Thanks for the great description. I had it happen to me once, and caught myself doing it again another time, so I know it can happen. :)

Having your foot on or off the brake pedal changes how the START/STOP button operates.

I have seen this problem pop up here before, but I have not yet seen anyone here come back and say it was a bad battery. It always seems to be a one off experience that could be attributed to user error.

I would find the odds of that being more likely, than you being the extremely lucky person who got a bad OEM Panasonic or Yusa battery. They are well made batteries...

Last edited:
Although the verdict is still waiting to come out, I doubt the problem is only caused by a dead battery especially after seeing the video. I believe it may have some bad connection or grounding in the instrument cluster or somewhere. The worst is intermittent connection problem that would take forever to located it. I recall a few people had posted the issues of seeing "the insterment cluster lite up like a Christmas tree and the needles went wild like having a gremlin", they seem mostly having major transmission problems or hard-to-find electrical problems. I sure hope your culprit is the dead battery, as that is the simplest problem you can have and have no ill effect afterwards with a replacement battery. Do make sure to have your dealer telling you where the exact problem was and what parts got replaced when they claimed they've fixed the problem!

BTW, I don't believe leaving any current electronic devices such as cell phone or radar detector in an un-switched cigarette-lighter socket for a couple of days would drain out your car battery if it's in good condition as those electronic devices draw such a small amount of current while charging their batteries.

** Update **

Back for the Dealer.... After driving there last evening, and leaving it, they told me that it started right up this morning, and did a check on all the systems yet could not find what was wrong. I was told that they did see that the infotainment system was out of date and was ready for an update that they did for me. Other then that, nothing........ I had a "Blue Driver OBD" reader in the port, and they thought maybe that drained it.. (doubtful) as I kept one plugged in to my BMW 24/7 and never had issue.

To be honest on two items.:
1.) It very well could have been something I did. As stated above, I'm new to these push button start/stop.
2.) I was really hoping they would say," Sorry, one of the wires on the alternator was loose and not making good contact"..ect.. seeing that we bought it from the showroom floor..

They told us if it does it again bring it in right a way (after we jump it again)... We're Thinking about getting one of those portable batteries with the jumper-cables for good measure.

I did show the service manager the video I took of the gauges, he said right away, "Oh, Low Voltage..." nothing more...

If it happens again I will post more info.. Again thank you for all the help and advise..

Last edited:
** Update **

Back for the Dealer.... After driving there last evening, and leaving it, they told me that it started right up this morning, and did a check on all the systems yet could not find what was wrong. I was told that they did see that the infotainment system was out of date and was ready for an update that they did for me. Other then that, nothing........ I had a "Blue Driver OBD" reader in the port, and they thought maybe that drained it.. (doubtful) as I kept one plugged in to my BMW 24/7 and never had issue.

To be honest on two items.:
1.) It very well could have been something I did. As stated above, I'm new to these push button start/stop.
2.) I was really hoping they would say," Sorry, one of the wires on the alternator was loose and not making good contact"..ect.. seeing that we bought it from the showroom floor..

They told us if it does it again bring it in right a way (after we jump it again)... We're Thinking about getting one of those portable batteries with the jumper-cables for good measure.

I did show the service manager the video I took of the gauges, he said right away, "Oh, Low Voltage..." nothing more...

If it happens again I will post more info.. Again thank you for all the help and advise..

Perhaps like you inadvertently "turned on" the electrical system without starting up the car ?

In other words, if your foot wasn't pressing the brake pedal hard enough and you hit start button once that would be equivalent to "ON"
if you hit the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal hard enough that would be equivalent to "ACC", both scenarios would have drained the battery dead

not sure, just a theory.........

You didn't leave the light in the cargo area switched "on", did you? If you have a cargo cover, you won't see that the light is on when you look at the vehicle.

You didn't leave the light in the cargo area switched "on", did you? If you have a cargo cover, you won't see that the light is on when you look at the vehicle.

This is a very good point !! When closed the trunk lid light is below the covered cargo surface plane, you wouldn't even know the light was left on if the light switch was flipped to the "ON" position instead of the "AUTO" position.

Funny, I've tried to think of everything I could have done to drain the battery... We checked the cargo light and I've never touched since we bought it,.. We have not installed the cargo cover yet too.. its still sealed up and in the garage..
& with the lights all be auto off, I am still stumped on how this happened.. (uhm) Read the manual again last evening too. on how to start/stop the motor/electronics... (RTM)

I'm hoping its just a glitch and we will be good from here on out.. Today when i shut it off at work this morning I sat in it for the 30 sec waiting for all the light to go off before I exited the vehicle. Being sure not to touch anything.. (nervous)

I have caught myself turning the car off before putting it in park and the switch stayed on but I saw the dash lights and realized it was not off. I put it in park but had to press the on/off button a couple of times to get it all the way off. Likely user error but keep a close watch as you could have a defective park switch or out of adjustment/poor connection etc.?

Funny, I've tried to think of everything I could have done to drain the battery... We checked the cargo light and I've never touched since we bought it,.. We have not installed the cargo cover yet too.. its still sealed up and in the garage..
& with the lights all be auto off, I am still stumped on how this happened.. (uhm) Read the manual again last evening too. on how to start/stop the motor/electronics... (RTM)

I'm hoping its just a glitch and we will be good from here on out.. Today when i shut it off at work this morning I sat in it for the 30 sec waiting for all the light to go off before I exited the vehicle. Being sure not to touch anything.. (nervous)
All left-on lights and accessaries drawing battery power should get turned off by car computer after about 30 minutes in order to save the electricity. This value I believe is programmable somewhere in the setup too. Besides the car battery stores a lot of juice and it's not easy to use up all electricity within a day by any of the lights and accessaries. That's why I don't buy the theory of something you forgot to turn off and made the battery died. It has to be something else and the worst is if the culprit is intermittent.

Same thing happened when I had a State Farm under the dash in the OBDI to lower my bill. When I removed it all the problems went away. Unfortunately I can no longer get a low mileage 30% discount because of this. Never had the problem in my Honda.

I can't see how you can leave the ignition energised when you leave the car as it will go nuts when you attempt to lock it. If buzzers and bleepers have been ignored that's driver error.

The accessory plugs in the centre console box cannot be left energised with the power off so Mazda aren't that stupid.

It is impossible to leave any of the interior lights on for more than 20 minutes even with a door left open as there is a battery protection device to prevent it.

The new CX-5s are fitted with a deep cycle battery which can tolerate the punishment that a stop start system can throw at it. My guess is that if you didn't do something daft like leave the ignition on, then after spending a month on a ship and if you did a lot of short stop start journeys, then you simply got the better of the battery. CTEK do a special charger for these deep cycle batteries and I left mine on overnight when I first got the car just to bring it back to factory standard. This thread appears to attempt to draw critism towards the unreliability of nearly new CX-5s when in fact the most likely cause, including several unfounded theories is "junk in, junk out".

The new CX-5s are fitted with a deep cycle battery which can tolerate the punishment that a stop start system can throw at it. My guess is that if you didn't do something daft like leave the ignition on, then after spending a month on a ship and if you did a lot of short stop start journeys, then you simply got the better of the battery. CTEK do a special charger for these deep cycle batteries and I left mine on overnight when I first got the car just to bring it back to factory standard. This thread appears to attempt to draw critism towards the unreliability of nearly new CX-5s when in fact the most likely cause, including several unfounded theories is "junk in, junk out".

CX5 in the USA does not get the stop start system hence it only has a normal battery instead of the Enhanced Flooded design heavy duty stop start battery. As far as I know, CX5 in Europe and Australasia get the Stop Start system.

It is certainly a strange problem to have the dead battery problem with OP unless the car has been in storage for a long time without maintenance.

CX5 in the USA does not get the stop start system hence it only has a normal battery instead of the Enhanced Flooded design heavy duty stop start battery. As far as I know, CX5 in Europe and Australasia get the Stop Start system.

It is certainly a strange problem to have the dead battery problem with OP unless the car has been in storage for a long time without maintenance.

Fair enough. If it was going to give battery problems, I would expect it soon after delivery given the amount of times it gets used without a proper run. If it's behaving now, I wouldn't worry.

I had drained battery twice already, but never found the issue.
Once, I have went to a grocery store and after coming back to my car, I have found my car it was still running. I have forgot to stop the car, hit the remote button and left.
This is the only explanation, that I can think of.

Kid left the visor mirror slide in the open position, that little bulb was lit for two days,,,, killed my battery!

Back