Two things holding me back

And if you're going to talk about objectivity, Mango is just as bad (if not worse) just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

There's nothing objective about calling the CX-5 "garbage" because it's engine is not brand new anymore.

Which as Red mentioned, means that it's more established than the new 2017 CR-V. So if talking about reliability...

Someone mentioned the paint so I was just curious. Not sure what prompted that response???

My 2014 definitely has thin paint.
The paint on my 15 has been no more durable than the paint on my old 13 cx5.. and definitely is worse for wear than the escape I had before it, and the others cars in the household

The paint on my 15 has been no more durable than the paint on my old 13 cx5.. and definitely is worse for wear than the escape I had before it, and the others cars in the household
Yep my front hood is in bad shape. Should have gotten a clear bra or something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This thread is a head shaker. You Mazda fanboys slay me. I love the way @mango gets under your skin (repeatedly).

I'll replace the wife's '13 Accord Coupe in the-not-too-distant-future. I too, am here to learn (not argue). To the OP: I'd be careful here - this forum is like most other brand-specific forums - objectivity comes in at second place to opinion. Just like my 4Runner forum, someone comes on shopping against, say, Jeep, and they get hammered.

The most valuable thing I've learned here is CX5's likely reliability. Very few real issues, which is great. Reliability is the absolute #1 criteria in my choice of cars. But against the real world of the CRV, the CX5 is just too new - that's not bad necessarily, just fact.

I've owned lots of CRVs. 3 brand new ones, and 3 bought used for kids. They indeed hold value. Don't believe it? Shop for CUVs in the 100K to 200K mileage range, and see which commands better prices, BY FAR. Been there, done that, irrefutable. Is that important in your car choice? - dunno, but they're not worth 25% more (used) because the world's wrong.

I had a 16 month old 2010 CRV get totaled, and I was absolutely amazed by it's residual value.

I'm only posting this to let the OP hear a more objective POV re CRV. A car is an expensive transportation appliance, and what you need from it is up to you. The relentless picking of nits in these CRV threads amuse me. The lack of objectivity by a few posters, simply points out their lack of overall knowledge.

Thank you for sharing for story regarding your CRV's. One has to be a complete moron to believe a CX-5 will have better resale than a CRV. Again, I doubt CX-5 owners car about resale value much but since someone brought it up, I thought I would chime in and state my opinion.

Aside from "The Boss went fishing, so we can do what we want while he's gone" .... that's the second oldest ploy in The Car Sales Handbook. I get a personalized letter from Toyota every quarter "needing" exactly my year of 4Runner due to high demand. It's called "get 'em in the door, iron out the details later".

Yup, my father in law got a letter stating they want his honda civic coupe and they will give him double his blue-book value and double his money down - up to 4K. He took the letter down to the dealer and found out with all the fine print in the offer, it is basically $250 off a new car.

Thank you for sharing for story regarding your CRV's. One has to be a complete moron to believe a CX-5 will have better resale than a CRV. Again, I doubt CX-5 owners car about resale value much but since someone brought it up, I thought I would chime in and state my opinion.

I'll agree *(shocking), I don't think a CX-5 would beat a CR-V in resale.

That said, I think when you factor in other things like comparing the correct model years to each other (remember Mazda had some model years ahead of the actual year. For example 2014's in early 2013, etc where the proper comparison would be a 2014 CX-5 to a 2013 CR-V). And as someone else mentioned, you factor in other considerations like how far off EPA figures the old CR-V's were with gas. In the end it's probably a wash when you factor in added expenses. Whatever extra resale you got, you spent on that extra gas.

In the end, seems like a bad way to base buying a car in my opinion. But I guess some people want to buy cars every 2-3 years. In which case, why not get a lease instead? If you're going to own the vehicle for any significant length of time though, I don't see why this resale value that you pound home in every single thread is a factor.

Last edited:
I ran two cars, CR-V Touring vs CX-5 GT, for 2016 through Edmunds True Cost To Own. The Honda came in 3.5K less over 5 years. Roughly 2k of that is depreciation, 1K maintenance, the rest of various categories. 2016 may be a bad year because of everything that happened with Mazda but it was about the same for 2015.

I've turned my last three cars in 2, 5 and 2.5 years (assuming I get rid of the 2015) so maybe I should be leasing but I also bought all of those with the intention of keeping them awhile (I had a Mustang for over 10 years). 2k is a meaningful depreciation number over 5 years, essentially, it's your down payment.

One has to be a complete moron to believe a CX-5 will have better resale than a CRV.

Really? *bites his tongue....

I was going by what I read in Consumer Reports. If you can't have a discussion like an adult, you really should leave.

I consider lack of resale value a plus, if I only have the patience to wait for a 2017 to become used before I buy one. My current car I bought new in 2000, I was planning to buy a used car then too :( It is an Acura, which has great resale value. But that is meaningless when I keep it for 17+ years.

Really? *bites his tongue....

I was going by what I read in Consumer Reports. If you can't have a discussion like an adult, you really should leave.

Nope I think I will stay so get used to it. And according to that useless Consumer Reports chart, a 2016 CX-5/CRV estimates are between $25-$30k in resale value. How do we not know the CX-5 would sell for $25k and the CRV would sell for $30k? Is a 5k difference between the two somehow supposed to be competitive? I would gladly take $5k more for my CRV, but real world more like $4k according to KBB. Not only that but my KBB numbers I posted, along with the numerous CX-5 owners in this thread agreeing with me just further proves my point.

Have a nice day.

I never worry about resale.buy what I want,get my use out of it and give it to one of my boys.If I was worried about resale I would never buy new,lose a bunch driving off the lot.I guess if you worry about resale you buy a crv,glad I don't have to live that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I never worry about resale.buy what I want,get my use out of it and give it to one of my boys.If I was worried about resale I would never buy new,lose a bunch driving off the lot.I guess if you worry about resale you buy a crv,glad I don't have to live that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorta my thought.

Not sure why Mango pounds it into every single thread.

Nope I think I will stay so get used to it. And according to that useless Consumer Reports chart, a 2016 CX-5/CRV estimates are between $25-$30k in resale value. How do we not know the CX-5 would sell for $25k and the CRV would sell for $30k? Is a 5k difference between the two somehow supposed to be competitive? I would gladly take $5k more for my CRV, but real world more like $4k according to KBB. Not only that but my KBB numbers I posted, along with the numerous CX-5 owners in this thread agreeing with me just further proves my point.

Have a nice day.
I don't care if you stay. Act like an adult.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sorta my thought.

Not sure why Mango pounds it into every single thread.

Because the whole purpose of these threads is to lay out the pros and cons of both vehicles. Resale value matters to certain people, much like handling, styling, technology, MPG, etc... matters to others. Much like you don't care about resale value, I don't care about the CX-5s better handling because I don't track my SUV. Nothing wrong with discussing the pros and cons of each, that's what these threads are for to help buyers make informed decisions.

Not everyone hands down these vehicles to their kids, most people sell them/trade them in and the difference between getting 10k vs 12k for your vehicle is a big deal to many.

Last edited:
Because the whole purpose of these threads is to lay out the pros and cons of both vehicles.

The purpose of these threads are to answer the questions that were asked by the person that asked it.

OP didn't ask about resale, handling, styling, or MPG...

OP - one big concern for CRV is that its a tiny turbo. IT has great cargo space but if you haul stuff in it the motor might be under powered. Its like my aunt Jenny who hands me a bag of M&Ms and says you can only eat one?
Really.
Also few reviewers have said this about CVT + Turbo going up grades - its worse than the 4 banger which is in base CRV. And I agree - it has lower tow rating as well.
So can't go up grades cause no power.
Turbo has no sure foot feeling as power drops the hotter it gets specially in Texas.
So not good for hot and high elevations. Not good for Towing. Not good in city (20 mpg) - so if you just want to buy a car to back out of the garage and then park back in - I would recommend CRV. Resale will be better.

Ok just drove the CR-V again:

- Definitely some road noise. Little less than my 06 Mazda3 but I did but more sound insulation in it.
- If you floor it you hear the engine and transmission making all sorts of racket. But honestly I don't floor my Mazda now so I don't really see much real world use of that for me
- Android Auto rocks!
- Lane departure is a bit different. Start working at 45mph and will try to keep car centered if you veer too much. If you go over it will vibrate wheel but it's different than CX-5. Feels like going over reflectors. Lower frequency but larger amplitude of the vibration.
I prefer the CX-5 where it's higher freq and smaller amplitude.

I'm still undecided. Maybe I'll lease the 5 and hope for the best. :\

Because the whole purpose of these threads is to lay out the pros and cons of both vehicles. Resale value matters to certain people, much like handling, styling, technology, MPG, etc... matters to others. Much like you don't care about resale value, I don't care about the CX-5s better handling because I don't track my SUV. Nothing wrong with discussing the pros and cons of each, that's what these threads are for to help buyers make informed decisions.

Not everyone hands down these vehicles to their kids, most people sell them/trade them in and the difference between getting 10k vs 12k for your vehicle is a big deal to many.

Hypothetically if you can get a used 1 year old CPO 2017 CX-5 with 12k miles at the same price of a non CPO 2014 CRV with 36k miles....would you still recommend the CRV, a car which has less power, mpgs, technology, and unkown future of Android Auto support....over a 2017 CX-5? In the name of helping buyers making informed decisions I'm interested in your thoughts.

Hypothetically if you can get a used 1 year old CPO 2017 CX-5 with 12k miles at the same price of a non CPO 2014 CRV with 36k miles....would you still recommend the CRV, a car which has less power, mpgs, technology, and unkown future of Android Auto support....over a 2017 CX-5? In the name of helping buyers making informed decisions I'm interested in your thoughts.

You just ruined the next 2 pages by asking this question.

Back