TWM Performance short shifter...

darocc

:
mazda
I just ordered it, lol hope its good. Its coming with the bushings, and the leather boot. Now will I need to get a new shift knob? Which kind fit on it? I wasn't too crazy about the TWM knobs . any ideas?

No, you won't need a new shift knob -- I use my stock knob on my TWM. If you do decide on a new knob, keep in mind that aluminum gets very hot on sunny days.

huh. good point ,i guess i'll keep the stock one id prefer it. perhaps a weighted knob will help with shifting?
registering said:
No, you won't need a new shift knob -- I use my stock knob on my TWM. If you do decide on a new knob, keep in mind that aluminum gets very hot on sunny days.

registering said:
Not to mention very cold on cold days... I went with one of TWM's knobs - I think they look better and they defnitely match the shifter (smaller shifter = smaller knob). Just my $0.02

I have the shifter and it is amazing. The weighted knob doesn't do much. I used the stock know for a year with it. I switched to an Ichibahn but the self tapping screws were their own nightmare. (same as momo) You can use any knob that screws on to the stock shifter.

PS congrats, you will love this!

I'm using the stock knob on mine. Weighted one may make shifting a touch easier, but I doubt it would be enough to really be a necessity. Once you get use to the shorty, it's fine without the extra weight IMHO.

Look for the Greddy counterweighted knob, I love mine, it does get cold/hot, but it fits my hand great and makes shifts easier.

I just received it. Took less than a day to ship! incredible. The shifter looks really high quality, good craftsmanship as well as all mounting screws/bolts. Hope she installs easily.
hyperboarder said:
Look for the Greddy counterweighted knob, I love mine, it does get cold/hot, but it fits my hand great and makes shifts easier.

magnumP5 said:
Not to mention very cold on cold days...

this is my wifes complaint with the alum kartboy knob i have had on my car for the past week. she drive the car sunday morning...

got it installed!!! holy s*** the shifts are short. And the bushings are soo stiff. feels like i have to rip the thing off just to shift. Amazing though. only complaint i here this creaking sound under the shifter/??? any ideas? not all the time, only when shifting sometimes, or gas on/off

You might've simply tightened the bolt that slides through the bushing too much. Try loosening it a bit and see if that helps. I played around with mine for a while to get it just right. Congrats on the install!

Do you know what? I have a buddy with an MSP protege and he did the TWM Shifter and Bushing and it does the squeaks also. I did a TWM shfter and Kartboy bushing and I have no squeaks at all. Maybe you do have the botl too tight. and the tightness will loosen a bit over time but not much just be a bit smoother.

yeah I had creaks on my mazda speed short shifter I installed on my 6. Its due to over tightening, I am much lazier than REGISTERING (did not adjust mine), it took about a month before the creaks went away.

Back