Turning up boost safely???

aron_ft

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
I currently have a msp with 102,xxx its my daily driver, just put in a new welded lsd, clutch some axles, all the motor mounts and tranny mount. its ready to go again, since I snapped my previous lsd. I have a cai (rigged) still has plastic piping just the kid before me slapped a filter on and took out air box and all. I want to run 9psi on it, and my plans for supporting mods are as followed in order. ebay fmic kit, split second afc, wastegate with spring (not sure on brand, will have a little stiffer spring) ebc, then I want to up the boost to 9 psi. I have a exhaust, no j pipe or s pipe nor a down pipe, is this really a must? and if I am running 9 psi will I need a aem uego wideband 02 sensor?? or is that mainly just safety precautions/ im new and ive been reading up a lot and I appreciate any knowledge you would share with me

definitely get a wideband, an oil pressure gauge, and a step colder plugs. an aftermarket downpipe wouldn't hurt as well. I would do a run down on the engine and a compression test before raising the boost.

definitely get a wideband, an oil pressure gauge, and a step colder plugs. an aftermarket downpipe wouldn't hurt as well. I would do a run down on the engine and a compression test before raising the boost.

Alright, and im sure I can find compression specs to what it should be on here somewhere, correct? May I ask the reasoning for the oil pressure gauge?

Step colder plugs aren't really necessary until you are over 10psi, the stock NGK ZFR6F plugs gapped to .028" will likely give you the best results. Your plan sounds solid to me, you don't need a different WGA if you are also getting an EBC. I run an Ebay FMIC, catless mid/j pipe, ebc, forge wga, ssafc, solid mounts, lsd, exedy stage 1 etc and I run 8 lbs on the low boost setting and 10 on high. A full DP is definitely a good thing to have if you are pushing past 10psi.

Step colder plugs aren't really necessary until you are over 10psi, the stock NGK ZFR6F plugs gapped to .028" will likely give you the best results. Your plan sounds solid to me, you don't need a different WGA if you are also getting an EBC. I run an Ebay FMIC, catless mid/j pipe, ebc, forge wga, ssafc, solid mounts, lsd, exedy stage 1 etc and I run 8 lbs on the low boost setting and 10 on high. A full DP is definitely a good thing to have if you are pushing past 10psi.

alright I really appreciate your info! now my cars started smoking, if you don't mind I have another thread, would you possibly look at it if you know anything about these cars smoking at warm idle.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123833098-Car-Smokes-at-Idle

Back