Turbo

no. but the 1.8 is so very similar to the 2.0 FS-DE that I think the turbo kits would be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly the FP-DE 1.8 just has a shorter stroke that makes it displace less, nothin else.

i don't know about that turbo kit... lol if i were getting a turbo for my 1.8 i would contact juan at high boost. the 2.0 and 1.8 are very similar, juan knows the difference's and can help you out plus sell you a kit.

has anyone bought that turbo kit from the link above? I see they have it for hte 1.6 also, and well...being its under $2k i am interested

i haven't read on here about anyone using that kit but, i don't know think i would go with that turbo kit. i know the price is tempting, but it looks cheap. it would suck to spend 2000 and then its a pos, or something on it breaks/cracks. when i was thinking about turboing my car, i was definitely going with the high boost kit or a used kit from someone else.

yea the hiboost kit is def high quality. but with a 1.6L the price is...well...more than the car itself. That kit above doesnt look cheap per say, but it does seem to not all all the components needed.

Last edited:
Kansei said:
no. but the 1.8 is so very similar to the 2.0 FS-DE that I think the turbo kits would be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly the FP-DE 1.8 just has a shorter stroke that makes it displace less, nothin else.

Yeah, that's what I thought too until I tried to rebuild a 1.8 with 2.0L internals. DO NOT BE MISTAKEN, THE 1.8 and 2.0 MOTORS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The block is different, the crank is different, the stroke is different along with many other things. Only the bore and head (but not the head gasket) is the same.

If you're going to turbo the 1.8, run low boost because there are no parts made to give the motor forged internals. If you want to go high boost, I suggest either rebuilding a 2.0 block or buying a built motor from someone such as ProtegeGarage. Best of luck to you, though, keep us updated!

-Jeff

Back