Turbo seals?

MP3DG

:
03 mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer. When I first bought my msp it would have blue smoke come out on start up and only after sitting for a while. No smoke while driving either. My engines teacher said sounds like valve seals so I put new seals in and to no avail smoke was still there. When I took intercooler piping off there was oil dripping from them along with oil on the turbo itself. I've heard if turbo seals are bad that it would smoke all the time but I've done a cylinder leak down test, wet compression and all seemed to check out! I'm about a buy a used turbo but kinda want to reassure myself! Thanks for any advice!

It will not smoke all the time. Mine has bad seals but it only does it when I'm coasting for more than a minute or so. What brand valve seals did you use? Felpro has the incorrect size on one of the sides. Mazda has the right ones you need to use. One of the sizes are just a little bit smaller and felpro has them both the same sizes. It's enough to where they will still leak

Ya it sounds allot like the seals are bad. But why spend all the money? Does it still boost fine? My msp has smoked for years on startup and i just keep and eye on the oil.

It still runs fine minus the cracked manifold but I'm kinda picky I want my car to be as close 100% as possible how. How much is a gt25 off ebay?

Or a new eBay t25...
this is a decent option as well, but a rebuilt garret sr20 t25 can run you around the same or less.
It still runs fine minus the cracked manifold but I'm kinda picky I want my car to be as close 100% as possible how. How much is a gt25 off ebay?
they can run from the high $100's all the way up to $300. i'm not sure if they make ball bearing turbos though, all the t25's i've seen seem to be journal bearing. if you do go this route you may want to get the turbine balanced at a local shop since they probably dont do it at the factory in china where they're made lol.

Just do some research and make sure what brands are good. Godspeed is a decen one. And all the eBay turbos are journal bearing. Ball bearings are still expensive to make

So I asked my partner in class who put the valve seals in and he said that they all came in the same bag..assuming that they would put two different size seals in two different bags. I might have to bite the bullet and re do my exhaust seals. But I'll wait to see after I put the new turbo on. Would it smoke at start up from bad turbo seals?

Back