Turbo Protege 2003! It's Official

The car is on mazdausa.com's web site with a nice flash brochure.
So i think its pretty official.

I'm curious to see the price, because if its under 20k we got really ripped off with our MP3s.. :)

Besides that the color is pretty nice, at least its not YELLOW or BLUE people be happy ( i know i'd be pissed if it'd be blue...), for once Mazda did something inteligent.

i seriously doubt that they can make it for under 20 grand, ours was pushing 19 grand, and with the addition of the turbo, lsd, and the larger driveshafts, it would have to be a few grand over the 20,000 mark.

and i will be getting this turbo when its availible at the dealers, but it still kind of annoys me that they would do this, and mazda did say that the mp3 was a one time limited production car, i guess renaming it and boosting it doesn't count as releasing another mp3.

also, i know this car will sell, but for the price that they're asking i could get a wrx, or for about 5 grand more get a lancer evo. i think the choice would probably be pretty easy for me if i was in that position, get the car that goes faster.

the mp3 is a limited production car. only 1500 were made ONCE in the US and i dunno how many for Canada. I think if you are looking for a fast car, dont spend all the money on a 2003 model no matter what car it is. im sure an rx7 will smoke the wrx and evo you speak of and its maybe 15grand at most for one. but thats just me.

Guys, chill. Don't be pissed because a turbo mp3 is coming out. Embrace it. It will open up the aftermarket for our cars and make OUR cars better. Honestly, it will probably cost about $22k, which isn't worth it in my book. You could get 170hp out of an FSZE engine that's NA. So 170 out of a turbo is WEAK. It's a complete waste of time for anyone who wants serious perfomance out of their mp3. I wouldn't settle for 170HP and what...155 TQ? How much TQ does the FS-ZE engine have? Probably more than 155.

Since they "slapped" a turbo on the mp3, there will be headers, etc for our car so we can have custom turbos done...which will get us 200+HP...for me, 170hp turboed is a waste of time. If my car came turboed, it would just be a hassle, because I'd first have to remove the turbo in it, and upgrade to a completely new kit.

Went to the NY Auto show on saturday...

I went to the NYIAS this past saturday and got a first hand look at the new MazdaSpeed 3... Here are what I got out of looking at it and talking to the Mazda rep there.

The 170hp is AT THE CRANK. They puprosely worded it to be confusing as some people have already noted. As far as the turbo, the rep said it was set relatively low and that with some adjustment, you could prob get ~200hp. And yes, there is a front-mounted intercooler.

Someone here had said that this car would "handle better than its predecessor"... that means the Protege, not the MP3. I tried to get a look at the suspension components, but nothing was labeled and I couldn't tell how good any of the stuff was. The rep was under the impression that it would handle about as well as the MP3.

Aesthetically, this car has nothing on the MP3. It will come in either orange or black (I like my blue better). The orange isn't as bad in person, but i wouldn't go as far as to call it nice. The body is almost identical. The interior is pretty plain.... looks identical to the MP3, but without the nice silver accents and the leather wheel and knob.

I prob forgot to metnion something, so if anyone has a question, i'll try to answer it... I also have the brochure they were handing out with the official specs and what not.... i can scan it if someone wants it... lemme know....

forgot to mention...

Rep said the price would be at least $21K.... He didn't know if it would be much more, but at least that....

My opinion

You guys are right.............the new turbo protege is still nothing to get excited about. Really I don't know what Mazda is thinking. To tell you the truth, I am a little disappointed at the horsepower in the MP3 I mean a new z24 cavalier has 150hp and it is a much cheaper car. And, the price of the new Protege will definately be much higher. There is no way that they can make all these changes without boosting the price.

That car will be probably go for around 30k Canadian, maybe even more so for that kind of money you can almost buy a 3 series BMW, or WRX which are both amazing vehicles.

But, I do agree with Newf......if they don't fix this clunking/grinding noise in the suspension then I would look into a new one!!

Scapey

Scapey, guess what. I don't think Mazda is going to fix the clunk. I get the impression that this lube and tape thing is going to be their "fix". Think about it. It's been since Nov. that they've known ( I had the Canadian rep admit it to the manager of the dealer over the phone...i was there).....but where's the fix? You call them, they say tape it up, and lube it. The tape makes the bushings fit better. No mention of a "we're working on a fix" or any timeframe at all because they DON"T KNOW.

Yet, they've managed to design a whole new Mazdaspeed 3. Once that car comes out, where's that leave us?

"Oh, there's only 1500 mp3's. Not all of them have the problem ( almost though)", we'll just tape them up and let them be. MOst of us are getting tired of bugging the hell out of Mazda now, and just aren't complaining anymore. Heck, they might think we're actually content with this "tape it" fix....which is BS. They might even be just waiting for us to get tired, and shut up about it. I didn't pay 25000.00 to have taped up bushings. Granted , the car doesn't feel any different, but that's not the point.

Simply put. This is my 1st Mazda after 8 Honda's. They don't fix this clunk problem ( which seems simple enough, just manufacture better bushings), this will be my last Mazda. If they can't fix a simple problem like this, which is no more then a clamp or bracket......that's not very impressive. Anyone else make bushings for the MP3?

As for the price of the New Mazdaspeed. Yeah, I'm thinking 30 grand Canadian easy. Then there's insurance and gas to think about to, as I'm sure they will be worse again.

I'd say they will release two colors though. Just like the MP3. No one in their right mind would make 2000 orange cars. Although the color does grow on you.

laterz...sorry for the rant.

Good News Newf

:) I have good news Newf. I talked the the head of CR at Mazda Canada and they totally told me that they are aware of the problem and are working with Mazda USA to find a fix. They even called my dealer and told them to simply continue to replace the bushings as long as the noise is occurring. I imagine that they will definatley be coming up with a fix because I think that it is far too expensive to just keep replacing them.

I will keep you posted but in the mean time...........anyone who still has the problem continue to call the Mazda 1-800 number and harass them....they will listen. There are power in numbers!!! You can get it from the Mazda Canada website mazda.ca or US site (mazda.com).

Scapey

8 hondas? dang. maybe should stick to one car?...uhm whats with everyone and their negativity to the new protege? the sucka is gonna r0x. atleast finally someone CONSIDERED insurance. not just saying "i can buy a wrx for that price." but did you consider insurance?this new protege can only mean GOOD news. think about it, first the mp3,slight mods, now we have the mazdaspeed, even more mods. seems every new model is going to be greater than its predecessor. i personally think the orange looks good.

Scapey:

Well that sounds good, but I've been hearing that since Nov. Although what you say sounds more promising.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hey, for making us wait so long to get it fixed, we should get a FREE turbo kit thrown in!

Ok, so maybe not.

i just went to the houston auto show yesterday. i was mad when i first saw that mazdaspeed protege...ya, that's right...new turbos may not have blue or yellow color. but at least mazda has to install other spoliers or body kits...the looking of it is still MP3 for me even with oange color... :mad:

what i meant was that i am glad mazda has not said it will has blue or yellow color available. but i am not that happy because at least mazda has to put other type of spoiler and body kits to look different from our MP3s...I AM PROUD OF OUR MP3.

uhm why should they change the body kit? its just a protege when it all comes down to it, not an mp3. but atleast those are MY feelings. uhm i HOPE they make blue ones as well, the laser blue mica is an awesome color. plus what would be wrong with having a lazer blue mica mazdaspeed protege?...not a thing.

I bought the MP3 because it's a great car and a super value considering the parts installed. Limited edition?? Yeah, cool, but it represents a special project: Mazda starting to make their cars more than boring econoboxes.

If the MP3 had been the only attempt at a "tuner" car, the project would have been a failure. Mazda built the car and pushed it out the door to us for a low price to seed the market. They had to get aftermarket support for the brand and the MP3 showed up in every car mag from R&T to GRM. Great press, great buzz from the car guys that Mazda was more than the Miata. Suddenly, Wings West has a kit, CAI's are everywhere and people are building Mazda Proteges to go "Fast & Furious".

Remember too, that Mazda signed on the dotted line to sponsor Laguna Seca, adding their name to the track. Speed (nee Speedvision) has teams of Protege "MP3s" in the touring races. Pros are rallying with factory support given to the independent.

They followed the car up with the next level. Remember the complaint from every corner was "great handling but it need 40hp more". You got it. Done. The next model year. In the car business that's fast! Even better is the fact that they are producing the "really good stuff" in small batches. If GM was doing this car, it would end up being a lame trim and wheel package and little else.

Imagine the warranty issues Mazda must be having with a model that they probably lost money on.

Boohoo that you don't have the only one out there. The idea is that you should be rolling along with more Proteges (The P5 is everywhere!) pulling up along side at the traffic light looking to abuse Honda and Nissan owners.

P.S. Now we have a big brother with the RX8! I think Mazda has done an outstanding job bringing out new products, building brand loyality and getting the work out that they aren't a builder of boring little shitboxes. Hell, I bought one...and before the MP3 ads hit, I never even thought of buying a Mazda. I may replace the D with a Tribute next year. I'm sold.

Stepping down from soapbox,

Bob

Last edited:
With a Turbo, it should even be more than 170hp at the wheels. Good news is if they include a turbo with the car then we can get one installed at the factory. The price would be higher than getting just any shop or doing it yourself but you would get a warrenty with it since it is a Mazda part. Not all bad news with this ugly orange car. The yellow and blue look better plus we can always add their turbo to our car and make it a sleeper when pulling up next to the orenge one.

MazdaSpeed Protege

I was told by a Mazda guy in the know here in Ottawa that they MazdaSpeed Protege would be going for around $25k Canadian...something to chew on...

Back