Turbo Leaking Oil

Turbojuice

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
I am experiencing a problem that I know is common, but I am still not certain what the problem is.

When I drive, under boost I notice a burning oil smell, and then when the car is off after a drive, you can still smell it. After checking under the car, there is oil that coats the oil pan, the entire line that runs from the back of the turbo to the oil pan, and the bottom part of the turbo. I am fairly certain that it is the oil return line or oil feed line, but I am not certain. Right now my camera isn't wanting to work, but I will get pictures up when I can.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a picture of the return or feed lines on the car because to be honest I am not sure which is which...

Thanks in advance

PS I did search which is what made me come up with the idea that it was the oil lines as opposed to the turbo, but the part I am having most trouble with is which line it is.

Could also be the o-ring that sits in the oil return flange at the bottom of the turbo. Its a very inexpensive part. I replaced mine a while a back and posted a thread with part numbers and the tool size needed to change it and the metal block gasket for the oil return line. Its a simple fix and will get rid of the leak and burning smell.

Could also be the o-ring that sits in the oil return flange at the bottom of the turbo. Its a very inexpensive part. I replaced mine a while a back and posted a thread with part numbers and the tool size needed to change it and the metal block gasket for the oil return line. Its a simple fix and will get rid of the leak and burning smell.

Yeah yours was one of the threads I was reading. I was looking at the line though and it looks like the silicone wrapper that surrounds the return hose is kind of falling apart. It might make sense for me to just replace the whole thing. I am taking it to my friend's shop tomorrow and I will jack it up and check it out. The whole assembly is still under $100 which really isn't that bad.
I thought initially that my turbo was bad and was getting prepared to drop close to a grand into it to get it working right again! I am so happy I don't have to do that!!

Thanks a ton man! I take it I will need to drain the oil before doing this?

Well then I would add a hose turbo oil drain 0000-88-C25 to your parts list. And contact Montgomery Mazda online for the best prices. Jason is the man. Don't pay dealer retail. You can get a new o-ring, block gasket and hose if needed shipped for well under $30. Only replace what is needed. That hose is $12.49.

http://onlinemazdaparts.com/parts/2...PROTEGE&submodel=MAZDASPEED&vehicleid=1416822

You're welcome. No need to drain the oil. Either let it sit overnight or wait a few minutes for the oil to drain from the turbo, down the hose and into the oil pan. As long as the engine is off there is no flowing oil going to the turbo. It may drip slightly but no more than a tablespoon or so if even that.

You're welcome. No need to drain the oil. Either let it sit overnight or wait a few minutes for the oil to drain from the turbo, down the hose and into the oil pan. As long as the engine is off there is no flowing oil going to the turbo. It may drip slightly but no more than a tablespoon or so if even that.

Awesome. This is gonna be a piece of cake!

Could I get that thread linked here?

Back