Turbo dilema

makvli199

:
Mazda Protege Mp3
Well here it goes a while back i decided that going turbo on an MP3 was useless because basically i have to start from scratch. well that said i was supposed to get a yamaha R6 for my birthday but due to my parents i am not able to. Well now the only thing that is available for me to do is make my car go faster, so i am now in need of a turbo upgrade. So i called a shop and i had told them that i was interested in a hiboost turbo kit and wanting to have a goal of 300 hp on an forge block. and well lets just say he didn't give me the greatest of news. He informed me that the protege was unreliable for anything that is on 250hp + on a forged block. Here the thing i need to now what i need to do in order to maintain 300hp as a daily driver and don't suger coat it. so please anything that needs to replaced or bought let me know thank you for your words of wisdom.

There are a number of MSP and protege5 running far more than 300whp with a forged block. There was a p5 with 409whp and right now there is a MSP with 378whp. So it is a matter of how much money you want to spend. There is a complete hi-boost kit (used) in the FS section. But please go to a tech that knows the FSDE engine and its limits.

I have the Hiboost kit on my car for 5 years now and am at 13psi soon to be 20psi.

I just spent $10k on a forged block with higher flowing head and a 1-4 straight cut PAR gearset for the tranny.

You will be looking at close to $15k+ total in order to be reliable with 300whp. I had the motor totally done by Speedcircuit to save me the hassle so I just had to swap the new motor in. There are a few other options for the gears specifically 3rd and 4th are the weak link.

so it is possible i was thinking of getting the forged block from ********** and then having a guy that i know work on the head but i know that they have for sale the upgraded valaves and springs for the head but how about getting turbo camshafts does anybody sell those?

Check with Ken ( P.G ) about the cams. Pm him and let him know how you want the block built. He can provide both a long or short block.

makvli199 your in FL area and TBK-Performance is located there talk to them and save yourself the hassle and the time .
They've build a lot of MSP's and they know our cars very well , TBK - Performance is the brother of HiBoost or so i was told.

yeah i had talk to Alfredo not to long ago i was surprised he has not jumped on the thread yet.I did talk to them but in order to do what i want they had said it was going to take a month maybe two months for the whole job. that is way too long for me not to have my car for work or school. Thats what turned me off in the first place about doing the turbo on the car. thats why i want out source all the parts get the forged block, turbo kit and the tranny built. then have it shipped to me. i figured with me having all the components it would be quicker. I just don't know if i should go turbo anymore or buy a new car. don't get me wrong i love this car, i would want nothing more than to stomp on all the evo's and STI's out there.

I hate to recommend someone to go outside of the MP3 ownership, but you might want to look into a MS3. There a lot of parts coming out to support the build of those cars. And hey, you'd still be part of the mazda community with a car more apt to stomp the evo's and sti's.

i look into a mazdaspeed 3 they are really nice but i actually was trying to get a 350z. I know i would be leaving the mazda community in which i don't want. But the 350z is the one car i would always look at love. And nonetheless i just got screwed over. I had bought MSP brakes from a guy on the community. I paid in full and had receive an e-mail stating that he had sent them. it has been a week and half and no package yet and to make matters worse he won't reply to e-mails.

I haven't upgraded my axles yet but that will be happening sooner or later. I haven't seen many broken axles or cv joints. I read somewhere that the DSS axles are not being made any more for the pro. Driverside axle from the salvage yard is like $32 so I'm not too worried about that.

yeah i had talk to Alfredo not to long ago i was surprised he has not jumped on the thread yet.I did talk to them but in order to do what i want they had said it was going to take a month maybe two months for the whole job. that is way too long for me not to have my car for work or school. Thats what turned me off in the first place about doing the turbo on the car. thats why i want out source all the parts get the forged block, turbo kit and the tranny built. then have it shipped to me. i figured with me having all the components it would be quicker. I just don't know if i should go turbo anymore or buy a new car. don't get me wrong i love this car, i would want nothing more than to stomp on all the evo's and STI's out there.

Just took me a few days to find this that's all. If you want it done right you need to wait two months isn't that bad for what you are gonna be doing to that car.

Whoever you talked to about the car being unreliable passed 250HP on a forged block is an idiot and you should NEVER go back to that person for advice.

So my block is built and my goal is 300WHP. If you are mechanically inclined and willing to swap out trannies when they break(as I do)or have money for a built tranny then I would reccomend you buy TBKs gears, build your block and a hiboost kit with an F10X or E6X either or gets the job done. You will have a reliable 300WHP car. Look at SuperProtege, it's the TBK shop car. Drags on slicks ALL the time and is a DD and only broken one axle after like a friggin thousand pulls at Dynos,tracks,streets ETC.

Its gonna cost a lot of money almost like buying a new car but it will be something different and VERY fast for what it is. It's a hard choice to make but I wish I knew two years ago what I know now and I would've saved a lot of money by just paying one lump some to get it done with TBK and not blown countless $$$$ on stupid crap along the road and lived with headaches. But then again I wouldn't know everything I know now.

ps-youtube "superprotege" and you tell me if it takes a beating? Still hasn't blown the engine and broken the tranny. I say reliable.

Back