tuning a 99 1.8L protege LX

Did you notice much difference in power with a good intake and exhaust?

the biggest power gain (with those mods) is from getting rid of the cats, those guys restrict the air flow the most, so once they're (if you have more than one) gone you're prob talking about 10whp give or take your other mods too...

oh yeah, the peppiness goes up a bit, you'll def notice that around the 3000-4500rpm range, but the decreased back pressure from the no cats will make you loose some of your low-end power...

so i just did some math to figure out the my engine hp for my exhaust, intake, UDP, and header (remember no cats at all) and i got... 144hp

now i did some research and more math to figure that people dyno'ed the stock base whp for the 1.8L at 88whp (with 122 hp stock to the engine) and my dyno with those mods was at 104whp... so i just cross multiplied to get 144hp.

does that make sense? ... let me know what you think?

yeah makes sense. what kinda horsepower would i get with a turbocharger? I was looking at one of those GReddy cat-back exhaust systems, I was thinking that cat-back design might allow for better airflow without losing the low-end power. Is that correct?

im looking at a turbo set up myself, with that at about 6-8psi you could prob get like some where in the 175-200whp...just remember there aren't as many parts for the 1.8 as for the 2.0L...kinda sucks, but oh'well

you cannot use the 2.0 internals to build a 1.8. been there and done that. the stroke is different, the pistons are different, the rods are different, the crankshaft is totally different and the deck of the block sits about 1/2 inch lower than a 2.0. the heads are the same so that makes life easier for intake manifolds, headers, turbo manifolds, etc. even if you swap in an entire rotating assembly from a 2.0 to a 1.8 it will simply not work. you would need the cylinder block from a 2.0 as well.

I've noticed some turbo kits are listed to fit the 1.8 as well as the 2.0. Is this true? would modifications have to be made for it to fit the 1.8?

you cannot use the 2.0 internals to build a 1.8. been there and done that. the stroke is different, the pistons are different, the rods are different, the crankshaft is totally different and the deck of the block sits about 1/2 inch lower than a 2.0. the heads are the same so that makes life easier for intake manifolds, headers, turbo manifolds, etc. even if you swap in an entire rotating assembly from a 2.0 to a 1.8 it will simply not work. you would need the cylinder block from a 2.0 as well.

I thought the rods were the same? Also the 1.8 uses slightly hotter cams vs the 2.0.

Latest posts

Back