Tuned Unichip + Methanol Injection meets Dynamometer

Professor MSP

:
2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed Protege
I have finally decided to take the time to write-up my experience at Japtrix Racing in Riviera Beach Florida, where I had my MSP tuned this past May. For those that just want to see the numbers, well, you will have to scroll down a bit, because I am first going to blab on about my entire four-hour experience at Japtrix.

First off, the facility was about as clean and spotless as I have seen at a tuning and installation shopit looked like I could eat off the floor! The staff I met were a friendly lot, and treated me both professionally and courteously. They offered to buy me lunch, but I tuned them down and instead accepted a lemonade. I must say, this is precisely the kind of service that will keep people coming back, and from the looks of things, they are doing very well.

Jack was in charge of setting up my car on the dyno and educating me about the tuning process. Roger, the owner, did the actual tuning of the Unichip. Both he and Jack asked about the type of mix I was injecting with my Coolingmist progressive water/alcohol (W/A) injection kit. After some back and forth, they convinced me to dump my 50/50 mix of distilled water and denatured alcohol in favor of 100% methanol. Jack promptly drained my 50/50 mix and filled the injection tank with 100% methanoland did not charge me for it! Moreover, Jack fixed a small leak I had by the checkvalve. By the way, I paid a flat fee of $500 for the entire session.

I recall that they did about 8 or so pulls before they were satisfied with the tune. They use a Mustang dynamometer at Japtrix for all their tuning. The jpg files below contain the initial (or baseline) pull, the final pull, and the baseline and final pulls overlayed on one graph. For reference, the blue line represents whp, the green wtq, the purple/pink boost, and the red AFR.

Some may recall that I reported on my dyno experience (no tuning was done) at Central Florida Turbo (CFT) in February of 2005 in the tread:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100130&highlight=Unichip+meets

At that time I had all the performance modifications I have now, except the Injen CAI and the Coolingmist progressive W/A injection kit. On high boost and Map A I recorded a peak 180 whp and 180 wtq on the CFT Mustang dyno. My base pull at Japtrix was 182 whp and 181 wtq, which is awfully close the the CFT pull just noted. This is consistent with much of the received wisdom on the Evo, SRT4, and NASIOC borads, to wit, simply adding W/A injection will not, in general, yield significant gains, as you have to tune for it.

My final pull at Japtrix yielded 202 whp and 193 wtq. More importantly, the area under the whp and wtq curves (i.e., the integral of the function that represents those curves) was significantly increased. If you look at the third file, at the top end, I am putting down approximately 27 more whp and nearly 25 wtq than my base run. The car wants to pull right through the redline to the rev limiter without a hint of a power drop off.

Generally, Roger pulled some timing and added some fuel in the 3k4k range, so as to avoid knock in the maximum wtq area. Then he added timing back in and gradually pulled fuel after 4k, and also added more boost from about 3.5k and up. Up top I am now holding 9.5 psi, my AFR is 11.9, and my timing is advanced around 2224 degrees. My methanol to fuel ratio is about 25%.

What's more, with the Unichip boost controller off, the car now pulls about as hard as it did before my Japtrix visit with the Unichip boost controller on! What a fun day!

Attachments

• Dyno base.jpg
    Dyno base.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 334
  • Dyno final.jpg
    Dyno final.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Dyno overlay.jpg
    Dyno overlay.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 250
This is just what I wanted to see. I've been thinking about getting a meth injection kit but I've been worried about using it with the Unichip. I was just browsing for some local tuners and have come across a few. I'm glad you posted this. The numbers look pretty good! Do you think there will be any problems on the stock block with the mods I have listed in my sig to get a tune done with the meth injection?

This is just what I wanted to see. I've been thinking about getting a meth injection kit but I've been worried about using it with the Unichip. I was just browsing for some local tuners and have come across a few. I'm glad you posted this. The numbers look pretty good! Do you think there will be any problems on the stock block with the mods I have listed in my sig to get a tune done with the meth injection?

You have a few more add-ons than me, all of which seem to be aimed at better flow. As a result, and assuming that you go to an experienced tuner and explain that you want to remain on the "safe side" of the tuning envelope, I do not see any reason why your stock block will have a problem with the addition of methanol injection. It is certainly safer to run at 10 psi with methanol injection and a relatively conservatively custom-tuned Unichip, than it is run untuned at 10 psi. One thing to remember, however, is that the methanol injection can fail for any one of several reasons. If it does and you are pushing the car, then the probability of a serious problem is increased.

If it were me, I would use the Unichip boost controller and dump the MBC. I know some people have ragged on about the Unichip boost controller. But as JDM Sam has asserted, and I and other tuned Unichip users have seen first hand, a good tuner will be able to make the thing talk.

For the number people out there, I should point out that the conventional wisdom is to add about 15% to the Mustang dyno numbers to convert them to Dynojet numbers. If you are willing to accept this adjustment, then I am pushing 232.2 whp and 221.95 wtq on a dynojet.

I did not fully realize just how well my car ran until I pulled about 2 car lengths on a stock (I was told) SRT-4 in a 2070 mph sprint.

Nice numbers. You should have asked Jack to take you for a run in the Buick or did he have his RX7 there ? Next set of mods go to them again and see the difference. When I first got the car tested I was at 117whp (na) now I am up to 213 at 7.5psi

Well I got in touch with a local tuner but I don't think they have a lot of experience with the Unichip. They seem like a highly recomendable shop and the gentleman I talked to was very knowledgeable about tuning but it still worries me. The only reason I'm not using the Unichip supplied boost controller is because the few times I got on the car it jumped well above the 15psi mark! If they are able to adjust it, I would be more than happy to use it. I'm very tempted to put the car on a Dynojet also, just to see those numbers, but the 15% you mention sounds pretty accurate to me. I appretiate all your help.

-Rob

I keep trying to turn people on to water:meth, but people don't seem excited about it. Can't figure out why. I have several sets just sitting on my shelf. :(

Nice numbers. You should have asked Jack to take you for a run in the Buick or did he have his RX7 there ? Next set of mods go to them again and see the difference. When I first got the car tested I was at 117whp (na) now I am up to 213 at 7.5psi

Jack had the Buick there that day. I never thought to ask him for a spin, but I am sure he would have taken me had I asked. I did, however, go for a run in Roger's son's Mazdaspeed 3 with Jack at the helm. That thing sure was a torquey little beast.

Just got my Snow kit delivered. Thanks Dana.

Will be getting it installed, along with my 440s, and tuning the Unichip after the 10th sometime. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I keep trying to turn people on to water:meth, but people don't seem excited about it. Can't figure out why. I have several sets just sitting on my shelf.

because without an individual port setup you cannot rely on meth injection for additional fuel, just lowering intake temps as the manifold is not designed to flow wet mixtures. If you try using a single injection nozzle kit for fuel you will always be tuning to your cylinder that is getting the worst distribution of fuel while the others are running rich. the inidividual port kit is very easy to setup, you just need to pull your IM to do it which turns most people off.

because without an individual port setup you cannot rely on meth injection for additional fuel, just lowering intake temps as the manifold is not designed to flow wet mixtures. If you try using a single injection nozzle kit for fuel you will always be tuning to your cylinder that is getting the worst distribution of fuel while the others are running rich. the inidividual port kit is very easy to setup, you just need to pull your IM to do it which turns most people off.

i do not have meth injection, however i do have a prethrottle body injector setup. Therefore, my manifold does flow wet mixtures and i do not have any complaints. My plugs show no sign of detonation and the car runs healthy. I think it distributes the "wet mixture" better than you think.

Back