Tune Up questions

I am new to the MAZDASPEED, and any import for that matter. I am used to working on a GM rwd platform with easy to get to oil filters. While reading in the manual, it says the filter needs a special tool and it needs to be taken to an "authorized" service station to be removed.

What exactly does this filter need to come off? I haven't been under the car yet, lazy and cold, so I haven't really looked it over very good.

Also, what suggestions does anyone have regarding oil and filter? Also gonna do plugs and wires, any suggestions there?

I have read about this thing stumbling due to high fuel pressure...mine seems to be a little temperamental at times, could this be due to need of a tune-up, or should I start shopping for a pressure reducer?

high fuel pressure laugh... not really... and for the oil change the oil filter is the same as any oil filter on a GM V-8 its located about half way up the block on the back side twards the firewall... just do the oil change as if it was a V-8 normal... thats how the dealerships get there work by saying s*** like speacial tools and s***!

run 5 or 10-w30 full synthettic, get NGK irridum pluggs, mobil oil filter, nology hotwires... you dont really need to replace the wires because its a coil over plugg design a coil per 2 cylinders oem wires unless you want to spend money for aftermarket ones

PureOne or OEM filter
10W30 or 5W30 if you live in the extreme cold
Plugs NGK stock no 4291 , which are copper and give a better spark than iridiums or platinums. Need to change them more frequently but so what as they are $1.99 each. If you really need wires, get a set of NGK from sparkplugs.com, as they have the lowest price on them.

Also change your pcv. Clean or replace your air filter. Run some seafoam through the pcv hose and put the rest in your tank at the next fillup. Change your coolant if its been in there for 2 years or more.

+1 on the copper plugs.

Also, a lot of people have recommended using the PCV valve from the supercharged mazda millenia instead of the stock replacement part. Reason being that the stock part is exactly the same as the one used on the regular protege, whereas the millenia PCV valve was designed for a FI motor. It's a direct replacement.

Awesome, thanks for the info here guys.

Now what about this stumble problem? It doesn't seem to happen too often under hard acceleration, but at cruising speeds and taking off leisurely from lights it likes to stumble before it hits the torque curve. Kind of annoying.

And, the car just rolled over 90,000 last week. When should I get this timing belt replaced? I know soon, but has anyone had any failures or issues that I should be aware of?

Back