tune up help

kura808

:
'02.5 MP5
sorry for a long post hehe.i'm not even sure if this is in the right forum place.hehe plz dont flame me.thought that this belongs in the p5 section cause i'm talking about a p5 haha

ok i got a '03 p5(sportauto) almost half a year ago from a previous owner.they kept all records of the car (oil changes,tires,etc) but i noticed that they didnt have any tune up records. according to the dealership's computers, they didnt take it in for any tune up or any checks(they just changed oil for the recommended mileage or months).lately i've been smelling a little sulfur smell when the car is idle. my dad said that the emission from the catback is giving too much or too little emissions or something like that.i'm kinda worried lol.i was also reading in the owners manual and it says a few tune up things such as coolant flush, air filter, and spark plugs,etc.(did coolant flush and changed air filter to k&n)

anywayz i've been noticing my rpms are going a bit high when in idle but gets lower when its warm.my mom was sitting in the car next to me and said that the idle is a bit rough(kinda feels like my grandpa's '89 civic) the cockpit is like vibrating kinda alot.this was when the engine was pretty warmed up.my dad said that spark plugs could cause this.i live in hawaii so i dont think the vics or vtcs(whatever it was hehe)is causing the problem.also i check about the butterfly screw recall and found out my car is not part of it.(made in like '02.my car is like a '02.5 actually)

well it comes down to my questions. xD what should i ask them to tune up and stuffs when i take it to the dealership on feb.19th? i know i gotta get my cat checked, my rear passenger's window motor sounds like its dying so the warranty should take car of it, perhaps get spark plugs changed.is there anything else? the previous owners skipped the maintanence checks so i gotta get it done.(at almost 50k so my warranty is almost up too ends at the end of Feb.) thanks in advance xD btw this car is my first car so it has to last me through college( i'm a senior now) i'm hoping that it can last that long hehe cause i love it

hey I know how you feel, my p5 has to last me through college at least also and I really had no service records when I got mine. I would just have the reccomended service from mazda done. It doesnt have to be done at mazda but just all the things that are listed, oh and definitely change ur trans fluid just to be safe if theres no record of it being done

Buy some NGK ZFR5F-11 spark plugs, some NGK plug wires (like 30 dollars).

Another thing to check would be the EGR valve, they stick sometimes and cause a rough idle. You have to pull off the intake to get to it but it's worth cleaning while you are working on other things.

X2, change the plugs and clean the EGR valve. There is a how to on here for the EGR. Run some Seafoam through your gas tank to clean the sulphur smell. It runs rich to warm up and then runs slightly rich after that.

Treat it right and it will last you. I have right over 150K on an 02 with minimal repairs.

007 style FTW. I run it through the PCV valve and brake booster and it helps alot. I use a baby food jar as it is exactly 5oz which is all you really need.

thanks for the advice every1! xD i hope the rough idle goes away cause last nite it was a bit worst lol.i hear a buzzing noise from the dashboard which is a bit weird cause i never heard it b4(probably from listening to the radio a bit loud lol)

Did this on my '95 GMC truck. MAJOR smoking as a result. No real seat of the pants improvement. I may try this on the P5 this weekend too. Idling a bit rough lately, perhaps it will help. Need struts and racing beat exhaust too! B-day right around the corner...

the day has come.tomorrow is my tune up for the p5 haha.i'm gonna miss her for a while >< heh i hope the dealers treat her good.i wonder if my ms axleback came in too lol.i cant wait haha

well you better hope it's not the EGR valve needing replacement. Just dropped my car off at the dealer this morning. They diagnosed my rough idle as EGR valve needing replacement. $440 plus tax for the labor and parts. If i walk out w/ out doing the job, I'm still down close to $100 for the diagnostic fee (isn't waived if you don't do the job).

the part's like $150. So 440 -150 is $290 for labor. But really they're charging me for the diagnostic so that would be 200 for labor. I can't see how i'd come out ahead if i bought the part separately and bring it to a local shop. I'd have to arrange to get a ride again too. ugh.

That's BS. It's two bolts and a plug wire to remove it...

mzdp5fan said:
well you better hope it's not the EGR valve needing replacement. Just dropped my car off at the dealer this morning. They diagnosed my rough idle as EGR valve needing replacement. $440 plus tax for the labor and parts. If i walk out w/ out doing the job, I'm still down close to $100 for the diagnostic fee (isn't waived if you don't do the job).

the part's like $150. So 440 -150 is $290 for labor. But really they're charging me for the diagnostic so that would be 200 for labor. I can't see how i'd come out ahead if i bought the part separately and bring it to a local shop. I'd have to arrange to get a ride again too. ugh.

r u guys still under warranty? is it actually covered? i'm still under warranty until the end of the month

It's not broke, it just needs the caked on carbon cleaned out. 30 minutes & some carb cleaner & go more. Check the IAC(the thing with the electrical connection on it on top of the throttle body) it can get carboned up too.

i wish i was under warranty. My car's got 71k miles. If i knew how to do it myself, and if i had a garage then i definitely would of done it. None of the 3 guys i knew who are/were mechanics had time or a garage. I guess winter's a great time for mechanics here in the east coast. Anyway, the car's fixed after being out of comission for 6 weeks.

Nice. you still have warranty. Get everything done! I remember seeing a link that shows all the TSBs. You might want to take a look at that site.

That sulfer smell isn't from your cat-back, it's from your cat burning up. Since you're running rough, you're probably experiencing mis-fires. Probably due to having worn spark plugs. The mis-fires would mean even more unspent fuel than the usual extra rich mixture flowing too the cat. With the cat burning up at this rate, you may have to replace it soon. . . have them take a look at it before you run out of warranty.

just got my baby back today.haha 1 1/2 days of not seeing her in my garage lol.anywayz found out the spark plugs were worn causing a rough idle. got everything fixed so now i'm happy xD time to play around wit my new exhaust hehe. i love the new sound haha.

Back