Tune up for MP3?

I need to do a major tune up for my MP3. Need any tips and points you guys can give. Like what good plugs and wires to get. My car has around 67,000 miles and never had tune up!

I'll be trying to clean the ERG valve also!

Looks like dealer wants around $500 to do all the above, including testing check engine light. I need to save money, or else my Christmas will be bad!

There is a shop manual on here (search button) it walks you threw it. Water pump, belts and all. What I suggest others say is unessisary as far as wires. But it has yet to fail me....

1.8 coil conversion.

not nessisary unless you eat coils like mine did. there was a good set of wires and coils in the FS section.

Plugs and coils are extremely easy to do yourself.. NGK wires/plugs work well.. the EGR is up and under the intake mani on the driver side.. just follow that brass-looking bent pipe that goes from your exhaust mani to the intake mani, and the EGR is just below that to the right on the intake mani.

The MP3 has the same 2.0L motor found in all the other 3rd gen pro's with a 2.0L motor. Aside from some small differences (vtcs-less intake mani, RB exhaust, differently tuned ECU) the MP3 is virtually the same. Because of this, you can read a lot of the information in the Protege 5 forum and the general 3rd gen protege forum, just make sure you are looking at info for the 2.0L motor.

Nope.. You will need two wires, two coil packs = 4 cylinders. Just look at the top of your valve cover now, you will see two packs on top, each goes into a cylinder and has a wire attached to the side, while the other end of the wire goes into a cylinder. If you go to Advance Auto or anywhere like that, and order the coils and wires, they will give you a pair of each.

Coils aren't necessary unless they go bad, but if you can get a good price on them, then go for it; your ignition system will definitely run better.
Make sure to change the air filter as it is surely due. Then a good cleaning of your 2 O2 sensors (remove, heat up with a torch and dunk in water, repeat process a few times. This removes any old gunk on there and should make things run better).
Oil change of course, maybe run a bit of fuel injector cleaner for good measure and the car should feel a lot better.

Coils aren't necessary unless they go bad, but if you can get a good price on them, then go for it; your ignition system will definitely run better.
Make sure to change the air filter as it is surely due. Then a good cleaning of your 2 O2 sensors (remove, heat up with a torch and dunk in water, repeat process a few times. This removes any old gunk on there and should make things run better).
Oil change of course, maybe run a bit of fuel injector cleaner for good measure and the car should feel a lot better.

I think I'll try to save $$$$ on the coils for now unless I keep getting RPM drops when coming to a stop.

Back