Tune and exhaust...opinions needed

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
A little background first...I've tried a couple of different setups with my MS3, and have had very little luck in trying to get rid of 3rd-6th gear WOT knock retard. I've tried an AP with an OTS map, a manual boost controller with MAP clamp, and an AP with a modifed OTS map + other bits and pieces trying to keep knock minimized. Nothing has solved the issue at this point.

I have also had a slight issue with boost creep. I was originally running a Corksport catless DP/TP combo, but recently switched to the stock mid pipe (catted) to try to help with the boost creep. It's helped a little, but I was still seeing creeping past what I wanted.

OK, so in order to get this issue solved I'm taking my car to Pure-Tuning in Toledo to have it professionally tuned. If this doesn't fix the problem, nothing will.

My question is whether or not I should put the test pipe back on before taking it down there? Can they tune around the boost creep? I mean, I know it is caused by mechanical means...the wastegate getting overpowered...but is there a way to tune around it (like setting the targets low and accounting for the creep up to the actual target)?

I like the way the exhaust sounds with the test pipe, and I do have it sitting around collecting dust at this point. Just wondering what you guys thought.

what is their track record with MS cars? I went to a good subie shop and they nearly cost me an engine. This motor is very difficult to tune and conventional tuning methods go out the window. That said:

how much boost are you pushing?
list of current mods?
power goals?

i would call akuma motorsports for a tune, theyre probably around 10 hrs away so he could possible do an E-tune for you if you dont want to drive forever. The owner worked for cobb on AP development and has tuned several MS3&6's. all of which have made awesome power

They've tuned a number of MS3s...I wanted to make sure of that before I went with them. I'm not looking for maximum power, I'm just looking for a conservative tune that will get rid of KR. I don't really want to push more than 18psi...that's what I would like my target to be. My current mods are below:

- CP-E cold air intake with Amsoil filter
- RPMC turbo inlet pipe
- CP-E front mount intercooler
- Forge bypass valve
- AEM methanol/water injection kit
- NGK step-colder plugs
- Corksport catless downpipe with DEI exhaust wrap
- PTP upgraded cam-driven fuel pump
- MSD DashHawk 2

@ 18psi on the stock snail ur looking at 330whp w/ meth easy. it just depends on the tuner. your turbo is what will hold you back. and that is conservative, at least from my tuner.

first words out of my mouth before i got tuned:

"I want the engine to last 100k miles"

LOL I'll remember that :) Do you think I should put the test pipe back on? I really want to, but I'm not sure if it'd hurt more than it'd help :\

Last edited:
I say put it on. If there are creep problems during tuning that they can't resolve (like maxed out wastegate) and need a little exhaust side resistance, can't they or you just put the stock second cat section back on in like 5-10 minutes max? it's so easy.

A little background first...I've tried a couple of different setups with my MS3, and have had very little luck in trying to get rid of 3rd-6th gear WOT knock retard. I've tried an AP with an OTS map, a manual boost controller with MAP clamp, and an AP with a modifed OTS map + other bits and pieces trying to keep knock minimized. Nothing has solved the issue at this point.

I have also had a slight issue with boost creep. I was originally running a Corksport catless DP/TP combo, but recently switched to the stock mid pipe (catted) to try to help with the boost creep. It's helped a little, but I was still seeing creeping past what I wanted.

OK, so in order to get this issue solved I'm taking my car to Pure-Tuning in Toledo to have it professionally tuned. If this doesn't fix the problem, nothing will.

My question is whether or not I should put the test pipe back on before taking it down there? Can they tune around the boost creep? I mean, I know it is caused by mechanical means...the wastegate getting overpowered...but is there a way to tune around it (like setting the targets low and accounting for the creep up to the actual target)?

I like the way the exhaust sounds with the test pipe, and I do have it sitting around collecting dust at this point. Just wondering what you guys thought.

Let us know after you've got it tuned and what your experience was with them. They're the closest tuner to me as well and I contacted them and they gave me a pretty decent price for a pro-tune. I'm considering taking my car to them either this summer or next summer.

Back