Trunk light fuse? Need help, not working

You're doing this butcher job to save a couple of hundred dollars?

Exactly my thoughts too.

You're going to destroy your wiring harness, which may or may not fix the problem while leaving other features disabled, all over a few hundred dollars? Yes it sucks that the module got fried - you live and you learn. Butchering your wire harness is NOT the solution. If it costs too much now to repair...save up until you have the money to replace it before you go through with this.

Exactly my thoughts too.

You're going to destroy your wiring harness, which may or may not fix the problem while leaving other features disabled, all over a few hundred dollars? Yes it sucks that the module got fried - you live and you learn. Butchering your wire harness is NOT the solution. If it costs too much now to repair...save up until you have the money to replace it before you go through with this.

I don't know...maybe this fix could save Mazda $$$ by eliminating the module in the future.(naughty)

a. i am not doing anything yet
b. paying few hundreds of dollars just for fixing the trunk light is ridiculous
c. the fix for this requires removing the cargo inner covers. i know that it will not be the same afterwards no matter how skilled your repair shop people are. then you are left with annoying squeaks and rattles.
d. if there are no implications, i will go forward with this once i understand if the "door open" warning light is not going to be effected by this

Hi, before I proceed with this mod, another related question please: I noticed that the warning light in the dashboard saying "door open" is turned on when I open the trunk, like it would do when I open any of the doors...

Now here is the question: if I cut the red wire from the trunk switch, the one that goes to the RBCM, and connect it to the white wire from the trunk light, won't it let the module think that the door is open and hence the warning light at the dashboard be turned on constantly ??

The cx-5 manual states that there is a "cargo compartment light switch" next to the "liftgate lock actuator" so I suppose the cargo compartment light switch only use is to switch on this cargo compartment light. Otherwise I would expect another name.

Another thing as stated elsewhere: the cargo light's plus connection is the battery's plus so 12 V (not controlled) but the RBCM (rear body controle module) controls the minus side. As the manual mentions: the cargo compartment light is 5 Watt instead of 8 Watt, that means in CX-5 that the cargo compartment light is controlled to around 7,5 Volts instead of 12 Volts. Therefore some Led bulbs won't work (need a minimum voltage above 7,5 Volts). Check with a voltmeter.

In my setup for extra led lights in the cargo area I want the "cargo compartment light" to control the extra Led lights but need a relais to do this as the 7,5 Volts of the cargo compartment light is a too low voltage to let the Led's shine bright enough.
In the CX-5 manual you can find more information in section 0918-8. If anyone needs this I can send a pdf extraction with page 0918-8.

The cx-5 manual states that there is a "cargo compartment light switch" next to the "liftgate lock actuator" so I suppose the cargo compartment light switch only use is to switch on this cargo compartment light. Otherwise I would expect another name.

Another thing as stated elsewhere: the cargo light's plus connection is the battery's plus so 12 V (not controlled) but the RBCM (rear body controle module) controls the minus side. As the manual mentions: the cargo compartment light is 5 Watt instead of 8 Watt, that means in CX-5 that the cargo compartment light is controlled to around 7,5 Volts instead of 12 Volts. Therefore some Led bulbs won't work (need a minimum voltage above 7,5 Volts). Check with a voltmeter.

In my setup for extra led lights in the cargo area I want the "cargo compartment light" to control the extra Led lights but need a relais to do this as the 7,5 Volts of the cargo compartment light is a too low voltage to let the Led's shine bright enough.
In the CX-5 manual you can find more information in section 0918-8. If anyone needs this I can send a pdf extraction with page 0918-8.

I have this LED installed without any issue.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...ed-high-output-dome-light-bulb-29mm-3022.html

Yes, I also have a LED bulb in the cargo compartment light. But it isn't as bright as I wish and also the cargo compartment light isn't very useful when packing the cargo area. So I'll go ahead with LED strips at the hatch door and elsewhere as described in another article in this forum. Although directed by the compartment light logic.

hi,

i got a voltmeter and tested trunk bulb housing, surprisingly enough it reads 12V, and the switch is indeed switching as expected...

yet, the festoon 5watt bulb will NOT turn on. I double checked with a good one (took one out from the passenger map light).

I am not much of an electrician, so this leaves me again very confused.

any ideas ?

thanks.

hi,

i got a voltmeter and tested trunk bulb housing, surprisingly enough it reads 12V, and the switch is indeed switching as expected...

yet, the festoon 5watt bulb will NOT turn on. I double checked with a good one (took one out from the passenger map light).

I am not much of an electrician, so this leaves me again very confused.

any ideas ?

thanks.
It could well be a switched ground... 12V is always there, and the other bulb contact is only connected/switched to ground when the door is open. Thus, the presence of 12V doesn't mean a working system.

Hi there. I am new to this forum after looking on internet for trunk light problems with my 2008 Mazda 6 TS2. Same issue with me. Changed trunk bulb for an LED and think my screw driver touched a terminal and possibly short circuted the module and light will not work now. All fuses seem okay. Did you manage to resolve your problem and did this issue effect any other parts of the vehicle. Thanks.

Last edited:
Problem Resolved

Hi there. I am new to this forum after looking on internet for trunk light problems with my 2008 Mazda 6 TS2. Same issue with me. Changed trunk bulb for an LED and think my screw driver touched a terminal and possibly short circuted the module and light will not work now. All fuses seem okay. Did you manage to resolve your problem and did this issue effect any other parts of the vehicle. Thanks.

Following my previous thread and continued frustration at not knowing. Finally had to bite the bullet and go to Mazda maindealer for diagnostic check (99.99 to plug in a computer). The check showed it was not the rear BCM that had failed but was the rear bootlock assembly. Some part in the lock had failed following my tinkering with the trunk light. 281 to replace the bootlock with Mazda!!! Got the part from a breakers for 70 and replaced it myself. Hey presto trunk light now works. Suppose my only comment would be dont try and self diagnose with complex stuff using the internet unless your 99.9% sure you've got the right resolve to your problem. I was going to replace the rear BCM after reading threads and assuming that was the problem. However to the maindealers credit they did strongly recommend the diagnostic check BEFORE they ordered/replaced the BCM. Good job they did otherwise I would have shelved out wasted money (300) on replacing a perfectly good BCM and the problem would still have not been fixed. Happy Motoring.

Following my previous thread and continued frustration at not knowing. Finally had to bite the bullet and go to Mazda maindealer for diagnostic check (99.99 to plug in a computer). The check showed it was not the rear BCM that had failed but was the rear bootlock assembly. Some part in the lock had failed following my tinkering with the trunk light. 281 to replace the bootlock with Mazda!!! Got the part from a breakers for 70 and replaced it myself. Hey presto trunk light now works. Suppose my only comment would be dont try and self diagnose with complex stuff using the internet unless your 99.9% sure you've got the right resolve to your problem. I was going to replace the rear BCM after reading threads and assuming that was the problem. However to the maindealers credit they did strongly recommend the diagnostic check BEFORE they ordered/replaced the BCM. Good job they did otherwise I would have shelved out wasted money (300) on replacing a perfectly good BCM and the problem would still have not been fixed. Happy Motoring.
Hi, im having the exact same problem....M6 2008 sport, trying to install a led in the boot, and light not work anymore not the indicting light of open door in the dash. Contacting my local dealer, he said to me that M6 doesnt have rear bsm, only the front one that is conected to both boot light and bootlock. I supose that when the trunk is open, a signal is sent to the bsm, indicating that a door is open, and at the same time, another signal to the boot light.
Can anyone tell me how do i acess the bootlock mecanism?
Opinions?
Thank you

Back